Please help me build my 2 channel chain

Vivek Batra

Dear FMs

I need your help in building my 2 channel chain. I am starting from scratch so I do not have anything except speakers. It's not about what brand or model but what makes more sense and worth the money and best result.

I am going to buy an integrated amp without internal dac. My plan is to have a hi end SACD player that comes with a nice dac, also a streamer, would try to find one without internal dac.

Now my question is should I buy an external dac or connect every digital source to SACD player along with streamer.

Kindly suggest.

Regards
Vivek

Do you have CD collection or SACD collection? If not buying a streamer makes sense...
What kind of Songs you listen to, what are your room dimensions? How Loud you listen to? What's the budget? These info becomes more important.

If it's the Klipsch Forte speakers, I have mostly heard them with tube amplification and they are very good with pure tube amplification.

Go with budget Interared amp. like Norge or preowned stuff i.e. maranz or nad with BS speakers.

My plan is to have a hi end SACD player that comes with a nice dac, also a streamer, would try to find one without internal dac.

Wise option, i am also trying to do something like that. Eying at Marantz SA 8005 or SA 14S1 SE. With with SACD + USB playback with internal DAC, can avoid clock and cabling issues. All in one single unit reduces the cleaning job when dust catches.

My idea to ask this question was to go for a more wise option than blowing money or going over the board. Let me add some more information.

I am decided upon brand Luxman for every component e.g Amplifier, Dac, and SACD player and a streamer later on (sad that no such option from Luxman)

I am just trying to save money on Dac if the SACD dac is too good. Less the components better. Not sure how good the external dac would be comparing with internal ones in SACD player coating a ton already. I want to also avoid multiple dacs in the system.

Luxman is coming up with new SACD players early next year with even better Dac than current models (current one already discontinued though). Until I buy a streamer or build my cd collection, I will be using laptop to stream. So that's bit of the plan.

Speakers are Klipsch Forte, room size 20x12.

Hope this conveys my intent.

Thanks.

Dear FMs

I need your help in building my 2 channel chain. I am starting from scratch so I do not have anything except speakers. It's not about what brand or model but what makes more sense and worth the money and best result.

I am going to buy an integrated amp without internal dac. My plan is to have a hi end SACD player that comes with a nice dac, also a streamer, would try to find one without internal dac.

Now my question is should I buy an external dac or connect every digital source to SACD player along with streamer.

Kindly suggest.

Regards
Vivek

Hi vivek :)

I cannot advise much. But Iam presently using my sacd players inbuilt dac at the moment. My other main dac is presently lying under the bed, as I don't need 2 dacs on the rack anyways. Besides it saves me place, and I don't find anything missing in SQ.

Streamers come at all budgets. So you can get what suits your fantasy later. All the best :)

Looking at McIntosh as well as it has its own MCT input/output from SACD/universal disc transport to its pre or integrated amps. Only a few brands have such interface for SACD especially. So no extra dac just one in the amp.

Last edited:
Looking at McIntosh as well as it has its own MCT input/output from SACD/universal disc transport to its pre or integrated amps. Only a few brands have such interface for SACD especially. So no extra dac just one in the amp.

What is the price range for McIntosh MCD and MCT?

Don't know who is the importer for McIntosh, last year PTC use to import and distribution for India.

MCT port is proprietary to McIntosh i understand, then endup using McIntosh dac alone.

I am using McIntosh old-school amps for my car audio. Using it in Active mode with HAT L1 Pro R2 tweeters crossed at 5KHz 12db slope and above, with L4SE Midrange from 315KHz to 5KHz 12 db slope.

Excelent amps. Great sound stage and imaging.

Before this amp i used Denon DCA 3180 on those drivers, after installing McIntosh i found it slightly brighter compared to denons, but better details, instrument seperation and reality on vocals.

Not sure if McIntosh is continuing their 80s signature in their new-age amps. Suggest you to audition the McIntosh equipments with your Klipsch before making any decision.

What is the price range for McIntosh MCD and MCT?

Don't know who is the importer for McIntosh, last year PTC use to import and distribution for India.

MCT port is proprietary to McIntosh i understand, then endup using McIntosh dac alone.

I am using McIntosh old-school amps for my car audio. Using it in Active mode with HAT L1 Pro R2 tweeters crossed at 5KHz 12db slope and above, with L4SE Midrange from 315KHz to 5KHz 12 db slope.

Excelent amps. Great sound stage and imaging.

Before this amp i used Denon DCA 3180 on those drivers, after installing McIntosh i found it slightly brighter compared to denons, but better details, instrument seperation and reality on vocals.

Not sure if McIntosh is continuing their 80s signature in their new-age amps. Suggest you to audition the McIntosh equipments with your Klipsch before making any decision.
Now the distributor is in Chennai by the business name Decibel. Audio Nirvana in New Delhi is the dealer close to me.

Demo is not an option for me leave aside with Klipsch. I have asked for the prices of various pre power, integrated and MCT 500. Hoping to get the prices by tomorrow.

Hi Friends,
Very much enjoyed reading this thread (including other related ones as well)!

@Vivek Batra - hats off to your patience - and very happy that it finally worked out for you :)

Summary: [Location Hyderabad]
I "kind of" went the same rout, was interested in the RP600m's first, quickly pivoted to the RP8000s and ultimately, settled down and booked the Forte IIIs - now the long wait of 12 weeks :(
RF7 IIIs were also on top of the consideration, demoed all 4 of them with a Marantz PrePro, with my CD collection and BluRays, then narrowed down to a fight out between RF7IIIs and Forte IIIs - and after 6 hours, Forte IIIs came out as the winner for me.

60:40 music and movies, all genres, leaning towards more of western classics (60s onwards), jazz, lots of live music and also modern day music.

Room size: 12x36x10 - living hall - and unfortunately, no dedicated room "yet" and the listening distance is on the 12feet width - so a considerable amount of open space towards the right. Speakers will be 8feet apart. Starting the overhaul with a 2channel first and then simultaneously build out the 7.2.x for movies. For which I have ordered the Heresy III as the center channel along with the F3s.

I've done quite a bit of reading on the power amps, Pre<>Pro's and now especially with the HDMI 2.1 - looks like its worth to wait for the receiver / preamp and therefore, looking at all options for a power amps to match the Forte's. Unfortunately, I may not be able to demo most of the power amps and therefore, looking out for all of your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back