Please help me building audio grade power supply

subro99

Hi Gurus,

Have come to you once again..............

This time trying to build a power amp with LM49810 chip poised to deliver 200 watts each channel.

Bought the kits and made the heat sinks.

Just one issue - i have a 40-0-40 7.5 Amp traffo where as the circuit required +60 Volts, -60 Volts and +45 Volts & -45 Volts.

My friend FM Saheb has advised me to by another 30-0-30 Traffo.

Isn't there any other way? I don't want 2 traffos in same cabinet as i suspect too much emf .......

Can a simple volltage devider formula won't work?

Should i post the circuit diagram?

Later on, i shall be expecting your comments to improve the stock kit, but as of now need your inputs for getting it up and running.

And please also suggest which rectifier should i use....for the bridge. Should i put one polyster cap in parallel to each diode? I can make abridge unregulated, but do i need a regulated one. If yes, then will LM 78XX Series will do................?

Sorry - lots of questions this time !!:p

Thanks in advance.

A simple way is to sell your existing trafo and custom build one trafo with all the necessary winding/volts. Normal bridge and ultra fast diodes, either are okay. Putting caps is not a bad idea. Using regulators depend on the application. If you need to use LM 78xx, then you gotta use it..

I really really don't want to buy another traffo set as this will make the set too bulky and lot of EMF issues. Moreover contrary to what is suggested above, i cannot go back to the traffo shop and ask him to extract a tapping at 30-0-30 level. . . .

Hence, i am now thinking which voltage needs more amperes. The 60Volts rail or the 45 Volts rail. I have heard one is for actual power feed requirement ( the actual lunch & dinner for the amplifier) while the other is for "control" purpose. Which means this would be the "sweet dish/dessert" stuff. So this would not require so much of "amperage".

Is this the correct line of thought? Well, for the Gurus, how will they say, if they are not shown the X-Ray plate...

So here it is.....in my next post.

Well, this is the Chinese schematic that i have received. Please let me know if i can have a minimalist approach to one of the supply voltages....

Attachments

• 20140709115903.pdf
    109.6 KB · Views: 46
According to schematic, 45V need actually more ampere. 60V is for preamp section.

For more current needs 78Xx are useless. It has limited current capability.

Is it safe and wise to implement a voltage divider circuit?
Or is there a way to bypass the preamp section of the amp and use the power section of the amp, that way the +/-60V will not be reqd.

@Subro99

Simply use the transformer at hand to power both the o/p and LME stages.

With ~ +-48V (considering ~15% sag at full load) to the LME,you'll get an o/p of ~ 120W into 4 ohms.

Enough to get you up and running.

Thanks everyone.......

i will take the most common and popular advice. Will build a bridge circuit with the available traffo................

Attachments

• PCB.jpg
    PCB.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 100
These were assembled in a hurry. FM Saheb suggested to remove the boards and join the capacitors directly.........

Thanks buddy - much appreciated.

Hope i am on the right path......................

Attachments

• PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 100
Snubber cap, 0.1 uF will also work but voltage rating should be at least 3X of secondary voltage.

So we met and then this happened! :D

DSC04593.JPG

DSC04592.JPG

DSC04606.JPG

DSC04609.JPG

DSC04618.JPG

DSC04871.JPG

;)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back