Please help me choose for Krell S 300i

rav_mk1

Dear Forum Members,
I'm a recent joinee but have been following this forum for long,
recntly being bitten by the upgrade bug after an audition at a Hi Fi dealer at Noida got myself a Krell S300i integrated.

Specd as:
Total Harmonic Distortion
<0.035% at 1 kHz, at 150 W, 8 O load
<0.26% at 20 kHz, at 150 W, 8 O load
Output Power
150 W RMS per channel at 8 O
300 W RMS per channel at 4 O

Since then I have been looking for speakers wich would compliment the amp.
In my current setup
Source: Dune hd MEDIA PLAYER (FLAC)
AVR: Marantz SR 5006
Stereo Integrated: Krell S 300i
DAC: Sonodyne DAC P1
Speaker: Jamo C605 5.1 package with MJ acoustic sub woofer 8"
Cables: Profi gold 16 AUG, Qued interconnects, Locally made Neutrik XLR interconnect (I upgraded after asuggestion from one of the Forum members)

My Room is a 12 X 20 ft rectangle with door and opening on either side (pic attached) In my existing setup th esound is good which translates asreasonable detail and sound stage good Bass.. but at the same time is a little fatiguing during long listening sessions which was not the case when I auditioned the Krell at length with similar components only different speaker (Tannoy DC6T) which has led me believe its the speakers that are the culprits, I may be totally wrong for all that I know and after the recently concluded What Hifi show at Gurgaon I have narrowed down a few brands which IMHO would do justice to the amp (currently only looking to upgrade the Towers) and these I can audition in Delhi.
My musical taste varies from Jazz, Blues, Rock, POP, Bollywood (melody), Ghazals, instrumentals and vocals.
Here I call upon all you learned Folks to help me wisen up and should I add/ get rid off more brands in my list and your POVs to this:licklips:

1. Dynaudio Excite X34:
Sensitivity 86 dB (2,83 V/1 m)
IEC Power Handling >200 W
Impedance 8 Ohms

2. Tannoy Precision 6.2:
Recommended amplifier power (Watts RMS) 20 - 175 Continuous power handling (Watts Peak RMS) 87 Peak power handling (Watts) 350 Sensitivity
(2.83 Volts @ 1m) 89 dB Nominal Impedance (Ohms) 8

3. Sonus Faber:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE
45 Hz 25.000 Hz, tuning ports included.
SENSITIVITY
89 dB SPL (2.83 V/1m).
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE
8 ohm.
POWER HANDLING
35W - 200W, without clipping

4. Focal:
Frequency response (+or-3dB)49Hz - 28kHzLow frequency point39HzSensitivity (2,83 V/1 m)91.5dBNominal impedance8 Ohms Minimum impedance2.9 Ohms
Recommended amplifier power 40 - 250W

Last edited:
Re: My experience at Sound by Design

Hi all,
As advised by a few FM's I contacted Mr. Siddhart Trehan of Sound by Design and went for listening session last Saturday... He has avery beautiful setup, tastefully done with some of the best brands under the roof :thumbsup: Right from the go he made me feel as if I was visiting an old friend on a weekend for some music and fun.. I had taken my Krell S300i along for the audition..
We started off with the Harbeths playing blues and some hindi music.. All I can say about those Harbeths is that you will be hard pressed to find a floor stander that can match its sound stage and imaging prowess at its price point(which Im deliberately not mentioning here).. but my taste for bass is a bit hard to satisfy.(after effects of Krell..:eek:) so we hooked up the PMC 20.23 .. the look was very diminutive with one smallish full range driver and a tweeter on the entire baffle.. then we started playing "The Thriller" by the king of pop and all my apprehensions ended there.. The environmental sounds doors creaking howling and all were so life like...The PMCs' are a Transmission line bass enclosure design and my oh my they do sound big, the stage set is very wide extending well beyond the speakers..:clapping:.. what a performance and after this I will never look at bass the same way before.. Precise is the word.. not as deep as a bass reflex but certainly much faster.. Sid was kind enough to hook up his Joseph audio Bookshelves for me inspire of them being out of my reach just to treat me..:signthankspin::signthankspin: ... .. .. oh Sorry got lost with their sound still fresh in memory.. Speakers what speakers.. what are you talking about.. there were no speakers just music that hung in the air around us.. taking us to the arena .. musicians performing live .. oh only if I had 600K .. well then I stepped back into reality of my budget and constraints .. net he put up a pair of Tannoys Precision 6.4 and hooked it up to my Krell.. just fell in love with it at first sight.. so beautiful.. we put up Kandisa and the Tannoys started to sing.. something happened to my Krell .. it started pouring out details and finesse that is unheard at this price point and well above it... slowly but surely these big beauties started to disappear.. and only the music remained though it was not as true to life as Joseph Audio but was quite close to it.. the sound stage was as wide as the PMCs' but much deeper.. musically involving.. and then when we looked at our watches the day was already over.. SID thank you for this lovely treat of a day .. it was a pleasure meeting someone so passionate about music who has dollops of patience to answer all the questions.. and always game for experimenting and auditioning.. thank you:clapping::signthankspin:

Ravi,
If you haven't finalized speakers yet, I would suggest give the Tannoy monitors a listening.

Regards,

Hi ravi...so many options in your city....like tannoy and resurrection...at least audition to banta hai...you would not know when you are going to hear such speakers in future...

that right,you would not know when you are going to hear such speakers in future,thanks
Eb8NST

Krell + Proac = :)

this recommendation is straight from the horse''s mouth. he has put money where his mouth is.

there was also proac on sale on the forum. OP may inquire about it.

I must say I have no affiliations with the seller.

good luck.

hi,

how did you end up with the dali rubicon 6 ?

please finish the story.. and do post some pics and impressions..

regards
mpw

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back