Please help to estimate the RMS power output of this speaker set.

Naveenbnc

Hello All,

Can anybody estimate the RMS power output for TAGA HARMONY TAV 606 SE please?
The PMPO is 600 watts. I am giving the specs here.

TAGA - To Achieve Glorious Acoustics

This is actually to figureout a suitable power output of an AVR to use with this speaker set.

Thank you so much in advance.
Naveen

Hello All,

Can anybody estimate the RMS power output for TAGA HARMONY TAV 606 SE please?
The PMPO is 600 watts. I am giving the specs here.

TAGA - To Achieve Glorious Acoustics

This is actually to figureout a suitable power output of an AVR to use with this speaker set.

Thank you so much in advance.
Naveen
Passive speakers don't have power output. They have a range of power which they can accept. Those are clearly mentioned in the spec sheet.

Any entry to mid level receiver should be able to drive them easily, as noted from posts by various users in this forum

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi Naveenbnc

You should look out for AVR or Amps which can output 50 watts to 100 watts at 6 ohms load...the speakers will drive effortlessly and produce the desired results....

Most of us used a lot of compact integrated systems in the past and hence are hooked on to the PMPO terminology.....see this links if it helps....

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/75-watts-rms-what-does-it-actually-mean-89414/

The more PMPO a system offered it was a WOW factor then....once we moved to separate systems ....slowly we have got a taste of what RMS power output means and its related impedance.....

Bottomline....audition the systems and speakers before purchase with your kind of music / movies and make a proper decision...end of the day...you are the ultimate user and whatever you buy should please you in terms of appearance, performance and of course budget....

I don't see any PMPO figure in the link.
Anyway, the power handling range is given in the specs. 20-150W for the fronts and 20-100W for the centre and surrounds. This is RMS power. Most AVRs output less than 100W per channel.
It's not just the maximum power of the AVR but how loud you intend to listen that is important. 100W per channel is a LOT of power.
So, practically any receiver should be fine.

Thank you everyone,

Currently I am using an AVR from YHT 196 with these taga speakers. Definitely, the sound stage has improved a lot compared to stock speakers from YHT196.

The problem is, YHT196 AVR is 100W when only one channel is driven. When all 5 channels are connected, it will be much less per each channel.

Now im wondering, if this AVR is under powered to drive taga speaker set. I mean, I am doutful if it is pushing atleast 20W per channel when all channels are connected.

If I upgrage the AVR, how much power I should be looking at to drive these speakers?

Thank you so much for the responce !!!

Thank you everyone,

Currently I am using an AVR from YHT 196 with these taga speakers. Definitely, the sound stage has improved a lot compared to stock speakers from YHT196.

The problem is, YHT196 AVR is 100W when only one channel is driven. When all 5 channels are connected, it will be much less per each channel.

Now im wondering, if this AVR is under powered to drive taga speaker set. I mean, I am doutful if it is pushing atleast 20W per channel when all channels are connected.

If I upgrage the AVR, how much power I should be looking at to drive these speakers?

Why fix it, if it ain't broke?

If you are satisfied with the sound then why go after the specs. If down the line you are not satisfied with it then you can upgrade to higher level AVR.

Thank you everyone,

HTR-2064 is rated approx 80W+80W when 2 channels are driven. if you sum up the power it is approximately 160W (RMS), divided by 5 channels assuming you are using an active sub-woofer, each channel gets approximately around 32W of power. So you're effective usage per channel is 20-30W.

Thanks,
Rajiv

@ Naveenbnc

As per specs it is 100watts per channel.....

https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/home_theater_systems/yht-196/index.html

Obviously it will not be pure 100watts per channel but it would be capable to deliver 50watts minimum which is quite enough to drive the speakers you have......

Obviously there is a difference in sound when compared to the standard speakers provided with the YHT196 pack.....

If you want muscle power AVRs to drive these speakers.....look at SR series of Marantz, Denon 2xxx or 3xxx models, NAD, etc....these are expensive.....

A Basic Marantz NR series (like the 1506 or 1607) is more than enough to drive these Tagas.....

This link should clear the air.....

The Truth About Amplifier Power Ratings | Audioholics

Hi

I used a lot of AVRs and AMPs over the last 14 years.....almost all brands!

100watts in reality will pump out atleast 35-45 watts rms power.....this should be enough for you unless you like to blast music / movies at loud volumes.....

If you want nice vibrations , bass and punch...get a good 12 inch sub (which will be expensive) and enjoy the experience....

I am a Marantz user since the last 5 years now and one thing i learnt is that a 50watts per channel Marantz can easily ride along side without any sweat against a Yamaha which delivers 100watts output....

For AMPs / AVRs, you need to see continuous RMS output power delivery between frequencies 20hz to 20khz.....and not the 1khz factor........

Hello efernand1, dr_rocket, rajiv,

The reason I am asking these points are as follows:
1. Many people suggested to use a higher power AVR than what the speakers can handle.
2. If the AVR is under powered, compared to speakers, there is a chance that AVR may get damaged. (Not sure how far it is true)

3. I have a feeling that I have to crank the AVR volume till -25DB to -16DB to get a good room filling(11x20) sound effects in movies. Is this a normal range in other AVRs also?

4. I am afraid to crank the YHT196 AVR to higher volumes, but I am getting a sense that the towers in Taga can deliver more with higher power AVR.

I may be wrong on the above points... but thanks for all your patience.
Any suggestions can help a lot !!

-Naveen

Hello efernand1, dr_rocket, rajiv,

2. If the AVR is under powered, compared to speakers, there is a chance that AVR may get damaged. (Not sure how far it is true)

3. I have a feeling that I have to crank the AVR volume till -25DB to -16DB to get a good room filling(11x20) sound effects in movies. Is this a normal range in other AVRs also?

-Naveen

For above points:
2> There is a chance of AVR over heating if it is being over driven
3> -25db is quite Normal in Yamaha, it goes up to +16db, I keep it to -20 at times when the source volume level is low.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Rajiv

Hi

1. Many people suggested to use a higher power AVR than what the speakers can handle.
You can use a higher power AVR, you need to be careful and hence calibrate audyssey setup for the same....this is available in Mid to High segment models....

AVR is under powered can get hot....all electronics will emit some heat...you can use a cooling fan to keep it cool....if the AVR gets hot too quickly (in a matter of 3-5 mins) then this is a clear red flag for you....

Usually auto setup (audyssey) does a conservative setup and keeps your speaker levels at low levels, often most of us end up tweaking the levels to our desired levels....if you go to HT dealers or shops, you will find them almost cranking 75% volume to give you a demo..it sounds loud there due to the treated special demo room......

4. I am afraid to crank the YHT196 AVR to higher volumes, but I am getting a sense that the towers in Taga can deliver more with higher power AVR.

Yes the tagas can deliver a tad bit more but then you are swimming in dangerous waters....these are 6 ohms speakers .....i feel a powerful sub with good output will do the justice and fill the gap you are missing.....

All depends on now what you find missing...if it is the punch factor, get a good sub...if you feel overall output even after manual level adjustments, get higher model avrs....this will cost you obviously......

Thank you one and all...for all the great inputs

In a nut shell.... if my YHT196 AVR and TAGA speakers are safe if I crank the volume up to the range of -25DB to say..-10DB, I am more than happy with the setup for now. (I know upgrade bug it quite itchy)

-naveen

you guys are awesome !!!

Long back I came to this forum with a crazy question on upgrading speakers in F&D HTIB (which is not possible)

It is you people that guided me towards YHT196. Since then all your suggestions helped me a lot indeed !!!

Hifivision is a great forum to be in...and you people are awesome !!!

I have HTR 3067 and routinely go to -15db in movies. Doesn't get too hot at all. Nothing will happen to your speakers or AVR

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thats a great relief.... for my usage, the AVR gets luke warm. I never saw it getting heated up. Now il stop worrying. Thank you !!!

Last edited:
Back