Please suggest 5.1ch DVD Home Theatre System

padmanabhk

Hi,

Can you guys pls suggest 5.1ch DVD Home Theatre System? Budget is 20K max. How about Sony DAV-TZ210?

Thanks,
Padmanabh

I compared Philips, Sony DZ610 and LG HT-924 as I am also looking for a simple 5.1 system for around 20k which I can shift to my bedroom. Had demos on all 3 systems and I found the HT 924 from LG sounding the best. Bass was nice, interface was good, it had HDMI out, Monitor out, Component Out and Optical In. So if I want to attach a WDTV HD Media Player to this system for the sound through the optical out, it is possible.

The Sony models cost more but aren't really better sounding, though they do look better.

At E-Zone here in Chennai today, the LG HT 924 was on offer for 14k while the Sony systems were starting at above 14k. So the DZ510 and 610 may cost around 19-20k. I compared the LG and Philips systems today (Philips 600W RMS, LG 1200W RMS) and the LG sounded way better.

Last week I had compared the LG HT 924 with a Sony DZ610 I think, and the Sony had excellent bass, but overall it sounded boomy. The LG had better sound quality overall with decent bass, being a passive subwoofer.

For the price, the LG HT 924 seems really nice, as it has a USB port and you can record directly to MP3 on USB from CD and FM.

If you can spend upto 25k, then you may as well get the Onkyo HT-S3300 which is much more powerful and future-proof. If you don't like the satellite speakers and passive subwoofer, you can always upgrade to better speakers and an active powered subwoofer after some time, as the receiver supports the same. This model has been purchased by one of our forum members in Coimbatore for 23k which is phenomenal value!

---Venkat

I compared Philips, Sony DZ610 and LG HT-924 as I am also looking for a simple 5.1 system for around 20k which I can shift to my bedroom. Had demos on all 3 systems and I found the HT 924 from LG sounding the best. Bass was nice, interface was good, it had HDMI out, Monitor out, Component Out and Optical In. So if I want to attach a WDTV HD Media Player to this system for the sound through the optical out, it is possible.

The Sony models cost more but aren't really better sounding, though they do look better.

At E-Zone here in Chennai today, the LG HT 924 was on offer for 14k while the Sony systems were starting at above 14k. So the DZ510 and 610 may cost around 19-20k. I compared the LG and Philips systems today (Philips 600W RMS, LG 1200W RMS) and the LG sounded way better.

Last week I had compared the LG HT 924 with a Sony DZ610 I think, and the Sony had excellent bass, but overall it sounded boomy. The LG had better sound quality overall with decent bass, being a passive subwoofer.

For the price, the LG HT 924 seems really nice, as it has a USB port and you can record directly to MP3 on USB from CD and FM.

If you can spend upto 25k, then you may as well get the Onkyo HT-S3300 which is much more powerful and future-proof. If you don't like the satellite speakers and passive subwoofer, you can always upgrade to better speakers and an active powered subwoofer after some time, as the receiver supports the same. This model has been purchased by one of our forum members in Coimbatore for 23k which is phenomenal value!

---Venkat

for the 924, the display shows aux optical in, does that mean it will support full audio from wdtv etc? like 5.1 dd or dts neo etc?

Last edited:
first of all welcome to HFV as u joioned recently and as like others you are ina quest for a 5.1 Ht system.

but as i suggested to others do not go by looks or the fancy stickers on the htib's..

A V O I D sony,sammy,lg as sound systems they do nutin but looks good with plastics..

+1 to yogesh for philips 3571. its a grt vfm and better than other htibs,
for 20k or so u can get

Philips 3571/358
onkyo 3100.

also spend some time in forum as hasty decisions leads us to regret later.
understand audio and what wonders can be done. plan long term and decide what u lookin for

also if you can stretch for 5k more u can go for recently launched onkyo-3300 and
its feature rich.

worth 5k extra.

else stick to philips.. trust me ... u will like it

HI! i am a newbie to this forum from bangalore and had similar requirement as mentioned by the thread starter.i needed a 5.1 system- some of my requirements are as below:
-I use the system to listen to music(film/similar) -mp3 and FM and my father uses for indian classical (CD/DVD)
-Apart from that there may be occasional cinema viewing.
-Planning to buy a big LCD say in a year.so want this to work with that too..
So,
for this purpose-i saw some systems from sony DAV (850W) and samsung HT (1000w) priced resp 16.5k and 15k.They come with a complete set with DVD ply with 1080p upscaling,free HDMI cable,installation etc;
Was about to buy one of them and stumbled upon this forum by chance.
Came to see here that Sony,Samsung etc; don't give that superior sound..
Saw an option of Onkyo 3100 - but came to know that it is priced 19k but it doesn't come with any DVD player etc
My budget is 20k.
So wanted to know if Onkyo 3100 is good and if i purchase a HT like onkyo 3100 what all are the extra things i need to purchase to make it fully functional?(like to play DVDs,mp3 via USB,1080p upscaling and HDMI connection to TV,and is there any need for extra wires and all needed to connect the speakers,and some were telling about some optical input wire etc) and how much does the total setup cost?
Audio gurus out here may find my questions too elementary but please help out this novice :) (If onkyo 3100 will not fit my budget do suggest some alternatives also.. and any suggestions about bangalore dealers welcome)

For that price, get the sony 19k one or get lg 924, im getting it for 13k at my place, it has optical in and the sound is really good with original dvs or hd rips with high bit rate sound..

I converted the transformers rotf nhanc3 rip using convert x to dvd and demoed the 924 in a decent trial room the results were very good,, put a few trailers on the dvd too, the sound was good..the best part, the bass was really tight, it didnt fart or kept humming..

In some scenes it really gets into its own and blasts away..even the music playback is very nice..

The sony is a good 7k costlier but is marginally better than the lg924 but in a totally different way, its bass is totally loose and flabby, you can say it there a lot of times , while in lg it comes hard and fast only when needed and delivers a nice punch..hehe

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back