Please suggest a DAC for Acoustic Portrait Amp and speakers

aurobindosaha

Hi

I would like to go for a DAC to attach with Acoustic Portrait integrated (solid state) amplifier. The amp will be driving the Acoustic Portrait Floor Speakers (scanspeak drivers) of 80 Watt at 8 ohms per channel. I will use a normal CD player (Philips) coaxial cable to connect to DAC. I may also use a Android 5.0 device.

I listen mostly to Hindustani Classical. My room size is 30 feet by 15 feet. My room is not acoustically treated. My budget for DAC is 25,000 rupees.

In choosing a DAC I have two wishes -

1. The DAC should carry on with the AP philosophy of "Dynamic, Expressive, Pure" ...... i.e. Add no colour to sound.

2. Flexibility of streaming

I thought about Cambridge Audio DigiMagic P100, but yet to try it.

So here's a question - how do you try a DAC? Surely you will not carry your entire set up to a showroom to try a DAC. Will the companies give a trial DAC on request? May be a dumb question - but I am wondering how do you experience a DAC in your own set-up before buying.

The second option I am thinking of is Raspberry Pi 3 Model B + HifiBerry DAC + Pro

I have heard many good reviews about the combination, but again I did not hear that. This option is good for streaming purpose. Question - what is your opinion about Raspberry+Hifiberry? Its 1/4th the cost of Cambridge Audio and very flexible (you can stream audio). But how about the audio quality. Is there a way I can try this before I buy one?

Last question - What are the other DACs I can consider keeping the first criteria (no coloring of sound), and second criteria (streaming) as good to have?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
Auro

Last edited:
Try and hear a chord mojo or Schiit Bifrost multibit.

Ideally u should try and get a used AP dac

For all above 3, you can use raspberry Pi as your source

In choosing a DAC I two wishes -

1. The DAC should carry on with the AP philosophy of "Dynamic, Expressive, Pure" ...... i.e. Add no colour to sound.

Why not ask AP to make one for you???

Hi JayaRaa

Indeed, I should talk to Siva in details about this.

All I know is a new generation steaming DAC is in Siva's research lab currently. I am not sure when it will be productionalized :)

The previous generation AP DACs are hard to find in market.

I will ask for his suggestion tomorrow when I go to his place.

Thanks
Auro

Hi JayaRaa

Indeed, I should talk to Siva in details about this.

All I know is a new generation steaming DAC is in Siva's research lab currently. I am not sure when it will be productionalized :)

The previous generation AP DACs are hard to find in market.

I will ask for his suggestion tomorrow when I go to his place.

Thanks
Auro

Since you are liking AP philosophy, it makes most sense to continue the same with the source. Am sure Siva will be most happy to build one & also take your feedback on the same, making it a win win situation for all concerned.

Since you are liking AP philosophy, it makes most sense to continue the same with the source. Am sure Siva will be most happy to build one & also take your feedback on the same, making it a win win situation for all concerned.

edit: This is not an anti AP type critical post. not even remotely, JIC it is misunderstood to be anything like it

just plain curious are they mutilbit / R2R or D/S.

even more curious, which DAC is meant to be non netural and coloring ?

ciao
gr

Mr.Siva was mentioning about building a DAC based on Raspberry Pi to be released very soon. Please get in touch with him regarding the specifics.

edit: This is not an anti AP type critical post. not even remotely, JIC it is misunderstood to be anything like it

just plain curious are they mutilbit / R2R or D/S.

even more curious, which DAC is meant to be non netural and coloring ?

ciao
gr

I think the answers will be available with AP, so best to ask them regarding the same.

As for neutral/colour, very subjective it is, as ones perception on them will most certainly different from anothers

As for neutral/colour, very subjective it is, as ones perception on them will most certainly different from anothers

While that is certainly correct, and is the obvious problem with subjectivity, it does not apply to my post. Because I asked you for your opinion, but hey that's okay.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
While that is certainly correct, and is the obvious problem with subjectivity, it does not apply to my post. Because I asked you for your opinion, but that's okay

ciao
gr

sir, i gave my opinion based on what aurobindosaha stated he liked. you seem to be very upset about this. sorry about that, no intention of doing so.

sir, i gave my opinion based on what aurobindosaha stated he liked. you seem to be very upset about this. sorry about that, no intention of doing so.

LOL. where do you get that from. But I'll grant you that is a nice deflect.

I was curious because DACs interest me and thought you were making a point based on knowledge / information that was probably of value to me.

I did not realize you were simply indulging in some echo amplification based enabling, but hey that's okay, thanks for clarifying

ciao
gr

No idea. I need to ask Siva. Will post what I learn from him.

Good to see your interest in AP gear.
However you may have to up your budget even for a used DAC.

Siva is a great fan of Hindustani classical music so you can be sure that it will sound great with your music.
He has a few Hindustani artists in his circle of friends and he uses them as a reference when voicing his gear.

The Thyaga DAC offers upsampling to 24/192 PCM only but he personally prefers to leave files in their original format.
The design is based on the Wolfson 8741 chip with drivers for Windows only. No support for Mac.

Hope this helps.

The design is based on the Wolfson 8741 chip with drivers for Windows only. No support for Mac.

Hi Nikhil,

Is there any workaround for Mac? My source is Mac.

Does connecting with Regen help or USB/spdif is the way?

Thanks
Satya

Satya,

A driver is needed for the input interface i.e. for USB, SPDIF, or Toslink.
There is no driver available from AP for Mac.

Even for Windows it only works with Kernel Streaming but no ASIO support.
This is because when Thyaga was launched ASIO was not yet released.
This is still fine in terms of sound as players like Foobar, JRiver and Jplay offer support for KS.

Regards.

Last edited:
Probably a previous version of Mac OS but I don't really know.
In any case. please check with Siva.

If you have heard of AUDIO-GD DAC and would like to have it then I can give you AUDIO-GD NFB-3 DAC, since I am planning to upgrade .
Better you search for reviews of AUDIO-GD DACs famous for their analog sound.

There is one more AUDIO-GD DAC for sale in forum and that is R2R DAC and it is a good DAC .

If you have heard of AUDIO-GD DAC and would like to have it then I can give you AUDIO-GD NFB-3 DAC, since I am planning to upgrade .
Better you search for reviews of AUDIO-GD DACs famous for their analog sound.

There is one more AUDIO-GD DAC for sale in forum and that is R2R DAC and it is a good DAC .

Hi dheeraj,

Where are our witching to" for DAC upgrade" ?

i bought a fully assembled weiliang ak 4495 kit within that budget. Extremely good kit and punches much above its weight. Apart from very good sound, build quality is awesome

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back