please suggest a good DVD Player

hibhanu

Hifi Guys,

I used to have Samsung HTS (HT P10) and it served well for around 5 years before it stopped working few days back. Now i want to go for new DVD player.
My requirements are:
1) Need to support majority of formats
2) USB support
3) 5.1 so that I can use my old 5.1 analog HTS speaker set. Not sure if it needs a builtin audio amplifier. Can i directly plug in these speakers??
4) HDMI support as I am planning to go for LCD TV soon
5) video Upscaling as I am planning to go for LCD TV soon (optional)

A quick search gave me these Philips DVP3368, DVP3236, Onida HDR - 5511.

Please suggest some good DVD players at around Rs3000 to 5000/- which fits in these requirements.

TIA

Best Regards,
Bhanu Prakash P.

Hi Bhanu,

Please go through the previous posts in the DVD Players section. You are sure to find more than enough material to refer to for zeroing in on the DVD player of your choice.

Philips 5992 has HDMI & USB 2.0
but better buy Media Stream like WD TV Live
reason is DVD player doesnt have enough processing capability and codecs support.

DVD player
+ costs around 2-3K;can play DVD 7 ;AVI and other thru USB
- lot less codecs support;high bitrate files problem with usb ;not full HD;1080i

Media stream
- costly than DVD player 6K;need to put a external DVD ROM
+ much more codecs supports;wi-fi/wired LAN support;torrent support ; full computer running;its full HD 1080p;host of internet service like youtube picasa;
can access PC/laptop data on TV using samba/nfs

Philips 5992 has HDMI & USB 2.0
but better buy Media Stream like WD TV Live reason is DVD player doesnt have enough processing capability and codecs support.

Chits, please refrain from making recommendations without understanding the requirements. Though I do agree that a media player is more modern, the OP's requirements are specifically a DVD Player that has an inbuilt amplifier and can be connected to a speakers directly.

In addition, it is incorrect to say that a DVD player does not have enough processing capabilities when compared to a media player. The two are completely different products. It is a different matter that a media player can do all the tasks of a DVD Player.

Cheers

Hi All,

I will check out some of players suggested in the forum. I am based in Bangalore. Can any suggest good/reliable Shop names (grey market) in Bangalore.

Thanks and Regards,
Bhanu

Hifi Guys,

I used to have Samsung HTS (HT P10) and it served well for around 5 years before it stopped working few days back. Now i want to go for new DVD player.
My requirements are:
1) Need to support majority of formats
2) USB support
3) 5.1 so that I can use my old 5.1 analog HTS speaker set. Not sure if it needs a builtin audio amplifier. Can i directly plug in these speakers??
4) HDMI support as I am planning to go for LCD TV soon
5) video Upscaling as I am planning to go for LCD TV soon (optional)

A quick search gave me these Philips DVP3368, DVP3236, Onida HDR - 5511.

Please suggest some good DVD players at around Rs3000 to 5000/- which fits in these requirements.

TIA

Best Regards,
Bhanu Prakash P.

Bhanu,
You must need a built in amplifier in your new DVD player if you want to drive your existing HTS speakers. And as far as I know only LG has that kind of model. Checkout for DD446 and DD447 models from LG. I guess there are one from Godrej and one from Mitashi as well but all of these are not at all a quality product. In fact I think a DVD player with built in amplifier + HDMI support + Majority format support doesnt exist at all. All the best DVD players (Pioneer, Oppo etc ) referred in the earlier thread doesnt have an amplifier inbuilt. On the other hand the LG DVD players with inbuilt amp cant upscale neither have a DIVX support. So you have to opt for one only. And considering you plan for a LCD tv, I would suggest to have a separate combination of DVD Player + AVR + Speaker , that would be a good, future proof to some extent but a bit costly choice.

Hi Sanju,

Thank you for very good information and suggestion. Anyway i have to buy DVD player, Speakers are already available. Can you suggest reasonably priced AVR for driving existing 5.1 speakers.

Thanks and Regards,
Bhanu

take a look at sanjub22's suggestion..
if LG DD446 / DD447 can drive your existing HT speakers then go for it..
they are costing around 5K... and as specs suggests they have amp built-in..

Around INR3000 should be ok for me.

Sorry sir, no way. The entry level Denon 1606 or Yamaha 365 will cost you around 25k.Even if you buy any one of these AVR then these will be overpowered for your speaker. As far as I know the side and surround speaker of HT-P10 can handle 32watts and Center is 64 whereas both of those entry level AVR can produce 100 watts of power/channel.So you may hear distotion at pick.
So in order to reutilise your existing speaker with a budget of around 3000 you dont have any other option other than buying the LG models I have specified above.Rest of the DVD players you have read here dont have an inbuilt amplifier to drive your speakers.

Bhanu,
You must need a built in amplifier in your new DVD player if you want to drive your existing HTS speakers. And as far as I know only LG has that kind of model. Checkout for DD446 and DD447 models from LG. I guess there are one from Godrej and one from Mitashi as well but all of these are not at all a quality product. In fact I think a DVD player with built in amplifier + HDMI support + Majority format support doesnt exist at all. All the best DVD players (Pioneer, Oppo etc ) referred in the earlier thread doesnt have an amplifier inbuilt. On the other hand the LG DVD players with inbuilt amp cant upscale neither have a DIVX support. So you have to opt for one only. And considering you plan for a LCD tv, I would suggest to have a separate combination of DVD Player + AVR + Speaker , that would be a good, future proof to some extent but a bit costly choice.

This LG ,inbuilt amp is just 2 channel one ,please ceck but I am kinda certain, There is no DVD player with 5.1 amplifier so that you can atatch 5.1 speakers of your HTIB.Please check

This LG ,inbuilt amp is just 2 channel one ,please ceck but I am kinda certain, There is no DVD player with 5.1 amplifier so that you can atatch 5.1 speakers of your HTIB.Please check

Yes, perhaps you are correct Hemant. The spec says it has one 5.1 Analog Audio Out and L+R Audio out. So effectively only two speakers can be used at a time. 5.1 Analog out is for the AVR. Thanks Hemant for pointing this out.
Still you should go to a LG showroom to check .

Say no to Onida,My 2 cents.

I used to be product head of Onida DVD player!

Hey Hemant.....You must have some reasons to deslike Onida DVD players being its product head....and I respect your opinion. However, I am using Onida atom since last couple of months and didn't find any problem with it. Infact, I liked the picture quality it offers even for low resolution downloaded movies (720*564 or even lower) through USB playback.
May be I am lucky to have a good piece :)

HI
Why don't you consider buying the Pioneer DV220 KV player? You should get it about 4000/- INR. The only thing is that it does not support 5.1ch audio, though it does have virtual surround that can be turned on from the menu. venkatcr has done an awesome and comprehensive review on this player. In fact it was his review that influenced me to buy the same. I had earlier zeroed in on an LG DV388, which is recommended by majority of members on this forum. The DV388 meets your requirements in every other respect.
The Pioneer DV220 KV comes with a free HDMI cable which actually works!! The one thing which works in its favour is that it is made in Thailand

Regards

Last edited:
No, it is made in Thailand .......

Bought Pioneer 220 recently ........ 4200 with bill. Have'nt gone through the operational details to be of much help though. Audio quality beats the previous Philips through the existing set up. But, the Philips was 5 years old and one has to factor in the wear and tear of regular use.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back