Please suggest a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection to connect with Yamaha 667

mav

Folks my journey of exploration is about to reach a fruitful end. I had been hunting for a suitable AVR and speaker set to attach with my PC so that I can finally experience nirvana.

I had shortlisted Yamaha 667 and Denon 1911 but finally decided to go with the 667 as the sound quality is more or less the same and I got the 667 for comparatively lesser price than the 1911. For speakers I have more or less made up my mind to go with Pioneer SP-PK21BS- i have read great reviews about these speakers. I know its a dangerous thing to go in for speakers without auditioning but I dont think I wd be disappointed.

Now quite a few of you have managed to educate me regarding feasibility of attaching an AVR with PC and have suggested that I invest in a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection and I would like to ask you for recommendations for the same. Should I buy a DAC or should I invest in a GPU?

I don't really wanna invest a lot because my budget is already stretched because of my super brave decision to invest in AVR and speakers .. I remember when i first came here on this forum I was just looking for a 5.1 speaker system to attach with my comp and had given myself a budget of 10k... which has known gone on to around 75k within a month's time thanks to temptation !! Pheww...life can be so exciting !! :)

Btw my mobo is Gigabyte G41MT-S2P.

So this goes out to all you learned ones- please help me out!!

Thanks Guys !!

Re: Please suggest a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection to connect with Yamaha

If your preference is music, then choose a DAC. If it is movies then a GPU with HDMI. Stating your budget can get better responses.

Re: Please suggest a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection to connect with Yamaha

If your preference is music, then choose a DAC. If it is movies then a GPU with HDMI. Stating your budget can get better responses.

baijuxavior you are my savior :) that rhymes so well together. you have been a big help mate and I am counting on more help from you even now !!

As for the budget.. well as low as possible without compromising on the quality. Would it be possible to get a decent DAC or GPU for below 10k?

within 10k a real good gpu can be bought..

ati 6790 for 8k ish will be your best bet... its a great card..

Integrated HD audio controller
Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

Last edited:

Yamaha 667 is nice sounding machine & my PC recognized it easily.When I connected my Hd5570, I can see 667 in my ATI panal.I didnot have time to connect HD audio,but connected with digital out to AVR in.I have written short review-
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/16258-post-your-av-audition-demo-here.html

ati 6790 for 8k ish will be your best bet... its a great card..

Integrated HD audio controller
Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

Thanks mate ! I wd read the reviews... Btw whats your take on a DAC being better for music compared to a GPU? Moreover would a DAC have a longer life than a GPU?

If you're looking for a GPU having offload capability for most common video formats along with audio bit-streaming capability, have a look at NVidia GT520. It wouldn't cost you more then 4K, and it's really good.

Regards

don't worry about the DAC. Your receiver should be having good enough DACs for your current setup. Send digital audio over HDMI for music as well.
DAC is needed by 2 channel guys, as their amps do not have it in-built.

Yamaha 667 has better DACs(burrbrown)& it sounds very clean & natural.This AVR is considered as musical than average AVRs & review also says same.I heard it & so can say.

palit gt520 is 3100 here, asus fanless model with same chip is 4k.

Thanks mate ! I wd read the reviews... Btw whats your take on a DAC being better for music compared to a GPU? Moreover would a DAC have a longer life than a GPU?

I would NEVER go with DAC for any application if I have an option to digitally transfer audio to the AVR. Only thing it can do is to add acoustically more strong signature to the original music. Best is to transfer music to the AVR through ANY digital output (HDMI, Coax, Optical) and enjoy it being decoded by the AVR (most of the current Yamaha AVR's have very good DACs) without any adulteration in between.

Few recommendations:

Never convert 44.1kHz (CD quality) music (FLAC, MP3, AAC, WAV, etc.) to a non-integer multiplier like 48/96/192kHz - it will most probably sound much worse than the original due to asynchronous UNNECESSARY conversion.

You could convert to an integer multiplier to increase the resolution of the music and it may sound smoother at 88.2kHz or 176.4kHz (most probably the AVR will support these rates as well without further conversion).

Never convert 44.1kHz (CD quality) music (FLAC, MP3, AAC, WAV, etc.) to a non-integer multiplier like 48/96/192kHz - it will most probably sound much worse than the original due to asynchronous UNNECESSARY conversion.

I found that doing this vocals can sound a bit thinner & treble edgy with D2X.

I found that doing this vocals can sound a bit thinner & treble edgy with D2X.
Yes there is a continuously "ringing" or "robotic" sound which completely destroy the original audio unless the conversion is done by a high end DSP which avoid such conversion noise and distortion.

To add to this discussion - DAC should support decoding of original audio with out conversion to asynchronous sampling rate. I know few sound cards (some high end as well whose DACs are very good, however their DSPs convert all audio to 48kHz or 96kHz before passing through DAC. Now as the DSP is of very good quality, this ringing sound may be minimized, however it does exist and spoils high frequency audio by spoiling the harmonics. This should never happen as even the best sound card will worsen the audio.

Last edited:

Guys am reviving this months old thread as am finally couple of days away from getting my Yamaha 671 and Pioneer SP-PK51FS speakers.

I had been given very good advice in the past when I had asked the question. I just wanna reconfirm if there are any better GPU in the market at present that I can use?

As of now I am using a 22" LCD monitor for display but in future I would go in for a 50" Plasma or something but PC would remain my source for music and movie playbacks.

Much appreciate any help coming my way.

Cheers !

10K, 8K GPU would be a complete over kill just for HD audio, would you also be gaming on your machine, if yes only then invest anything above 4K-5K, else get either a GT440, 430 or at the most 520. All these would be below 5. I have 440 for 4K for my HTPC connected to my Onkyo AVR, and it bitstreams all HD audio perfectly.

For music why dont you consider something like a Xonar Essence ST instead of a DAC. Use Digital S/PDIF and let your AVR do the rest .... :)

Get a GT440 or 430 or ATI 6570 preferably passive. Anything more is overkill for HTPC duty.

For music why dont you consider something like a Xonar Essence ST instead of a DAC. Use Digital S/PDIF and let your AVR do the rest .... :)

@sam:I am a bit confused... In case I go for a GPU like the 430 would I still need a soundcard like the Xonar? I thought the GPU would handle both the video and the audio transfer to the AVR...

@ reignofchaos: Yeah I too have shortlisted the GT 430 and the ATI 6570. I was wondering by what you meant by passive 6570. Also what is the differance between the GT 430 and GT 440.

@ spirovious: thanks bro. That anandtech article was very helpful. What exactly is a low profile 6570?

I feel like a novice all over again :) There is much to learn when it comes to cards. Thanks for the help guys. Owe you one!

I use a ATI4350 GPU and use to pass through the bitstream to AVR on HDMI.

Works very nicely.

Cheers.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back