Please suggest Active Speakers 2.0/2.1 - under ?40K

Hi, I have signed up for some credible advice on speakers which is simply unavaible in the mainstream in this country.

1) I want a 2.0 system, (2.1 will also do) no amps just plug & play active/powered speakers. Between ?20-40,000

2) They must sound LOADS better than Bose 'Signature' Sound
I have owned Bose Companion 5 for years, back when they cost ?24K. Moving from TV speakers they sounded great, but I grew increasingsingly dissatisfied with them over time. Now when I walk into the Bose store at Connaught Place, I am appalled at how they extort people for basically average sounding speakers, that look great btw, are durable and super convenient. Neither is the bass great(and I dont prefer thumps tbh) nor are the mid highs of any note. The vocals especially sound so suppressed...

3) My primary requirement is Music, then some gaming, TV & Movies.
I know for sure that a reasonably priced stereo system sounds better & clearer for music(or anything really) than a surround system that may even be more expensive.
I bought about 6 years ago Harman Kardon HKTS 60 & AVR 255 for a combined ?85K (damn). Now those were powerful, room rocking, house moving even, but clear they weren't, especially the clarity that I have come to appreciate. Bass heads would say I am an idiot. Also movie buffs who particularly like the theatre like experience of surround sound would smirk. The thing though is, people certainly all I know listen to more music than movies. I especially crave beautiful music to make me smile more than surround sound effects to thrill, otherwise only felt in a theatre. And for music surround simply doesnt cut it, reason fatigue - I hated those HKs towards the end, at low mid volume, which was tolerable for hours without headache, their average music quality was exposed. I had to crank them upto 70% volume at least for a satisfying experience, which was of course not sustainable.

4) I would be really happy if someone could suggest something comparable to Audioengine, not as good, but in the same league maybe.
Last year I was lucky enough for my sister to bring Audioengine A5+ from the US, but the luck qucikly ran out. I listened to them for barely 2 days before they inexplicably went dead, cannot power them on, no idea how to get them repaired in India. They have many months warranty still but noones going to US anytime soon. The sound they produced however was utter bliss. I doubt if I will ever get to hear that on a consistent basis ever again. Listening to Pink Floyd at high volumes for 2 days, and suddenly to find they dont work anymore - shattering.

So can anyone suggest me something considering the above points. I will be grateful. Price may be pushing ?40K but only if its really worth.

You may want to check at this "Q Acoustics BT3". This can meet your requirements (with apt-X inlcuded). Good reviews online too. Exactly under your budget!! (But for extra - you can include a Sub-woofer, as there is an option!) For sale in our HiFiMart too!

Quoting from this thread. FM magma is pretty much a veteran here

However actives are real finicky since they cater to recording artists
so they are tuned to be neutral
Some do not prefer the neutral tone and like the masala

look at the sonodyne SRP series
the tannoys are decent as well
the genelecs are good too

the newly launched series by sonodyne ( the actives ) without the DSP are pretty good
i have heard and liked them

then theres always the yamaha HS series
the workhorse

though for a home audio guy i would normally reccomend the newly launched sonodyne which is more suited to home

The Klipsch R-15pm may be what you need. You should be able to get them for USD450 from US. I was quoted INR 60K (MRP) in Cinebels B'lore. Add remote control to your criteria, can come in handy with TV.

If you don't mind Professional option and can stretch the budget Alto TS115W have 800w per channel, XLR and bluetooth connectivities. Have excellent Professional reviews! Proper one box DJ setup ar home. May work great for HR/Music listening as well due to powerful amp and 15" drivers.

I second the Swans M200 MKIII, I have the MKII version for my bedroom and can vouch for their quality. Solid built and very musical sounding. Pair them with a good DAC and they will quite easily rival a stereo setup of 75K to 1L.
The MKIII version is considered a big improvement on the already popular MKII. Do check the reviews and user opinions.
What is not 'made in China' today? If proper QA is maintained made in China will serve you for a long time. My Swans are almost exceptionally built, sturdy, heavy and they carry themselves well in the bedroom.

Solid built and very musical sounding. Pair them with a good DAC and they will quite easily rival a stereo setup of 75K to 1L.

lol that's a bit of an over statement, I feel your enthusiasm, for MKII, but you simply cannot compare them with something @ at a price point of 1L. Sorry:)
Have you listened to any 1L floorstands. I have auditioned SWANS not particularly MII but yes other models, yes they are good for the price but saying they can compete speakers priced at 1L ... again a bit of an over stretch:)

lol that's a bit of an over statement, I feel your enthusiasm, for MKII, but you simply cannot compare them with something @ at a price point of 1L. Sorry:)
Have you listened to any 1L floorstands. I have auditioned SWANS not particularly MII but yes other models, yes they are good for the price but saying they can compete speakers priced at 1L ... again a bit of an over stretch:)

You got me wrong! I meant paired with a decent DAC the system can sound to a stereo with total budget of 80K to 1L (Not speakers costing 1L alone, speaker + amp + source). Now how much a decent DAC then? Say 30K, so Swans + DAC, how much does that come to?

In a proper room with a decent DAC Swans do punch over their weight, that was the whole point.
I am still in possession of my sanity so not about to compare Swans M200 MKII to a 1L pair of speakers, having heard a few of them myself.

You got me wrong! I meant paired with a decent DAC the system can sound to a stereo with total budget of 80K to 1L (Not speakers costing 1L alone, speaker + amp + source). Now how much a decent DAC then? Say 30K, so Swans + DAC, how much does that come to?

In a proper room with a decent DAC Swans do punch over their weight, that was the whole point.
I am still in possession of my sanity so not about to compare Swans M200 MKII to a 1L pair of speakers, having heard a few of them myself.

+100, i will follow the same route.

While on the subject, I am using the Swan M200 MkIIIs in my bedroom, but the source is (horror) my laptop / cell phone.
I have a small CD collection, but as I'm away from my primary residence, all I could do is rip some 50-odd cds from my collection into 320 KBPs mp3s and play these from the laptop. I'm pleased with the speakers but not with the source.

Have plans in future to buy an AVR and then go in for a 5.2 Wharfedale setup starting with Diamond 225s -- but that will have to wait till the finances improve.

Can any one suggest a decent DAC - cheap enough (10-15 K) ? Any place in Pune where it can be auditioned?

Alternatively, I was thinking of buying the Pioneer BDP-180 Blu Ray player, which also has a 192 KHz DAC ... was thinking of using that and playing from USB stick connected to that, with the Swans directly connected to the Pioneer. How does this sound?

^^ Why would you rip upir CDs to MP3 beats me .... Rip then to FLACs, and you would not be dissatisfied with source, well atleast if the CD recordings are crap. But usually thumb rule is to rip ACDs in FLAC not MP3, unless you have a serious crunch of space.

Prateek-Epitome ....have you deleted my post, I made a long post about A5+ and PSB and Qaccoustics, on this thread right ??? or was it some other thread ????lol ........was it deleted ......I am just baffled, and curious, you do remember my post right .. ? there was a discussion on swans as well within my posts ,,,where have they gone ...

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back