Please suggest DAC under 10k

apbinu

Hi FM,

I'm looking to buy new DAC for my stereo setup, which will interface with Smart TV & Blu-Ray/CD player into --> Norge Concerto + FS52.
Mandatory input connectivity options --> Optical, Coaxial, USB & Bluetooth is a plus ;)

Had shortlisted few DAC's like Schiit Modi 3, Topping E30, FX-Audio DAC-X6 MKII. However in the currently situation looks like availability is a challenge.
Did come across FX-Audio DAC-M6? Is it updated version of DAC-X6, any views will be appreciated.

Are FX-Audio good when compared with Schiit / Topping /SMSL? Any other brand which you can suggest within my budget, open for pre-owned too provided its not aged, has required connectivity options & of course within my budget.

Cheers,
:cool:

I too was looking for a DAC in the same price bracket. Schiit Modi 3 is ak4490 and has very good price/performance ratio. But availability is an issue presently. Other options are Khadas tone board and allo Katana. Both of these don't have all the inputs like Optical, Coax and USB. Considerable tweaking is required.
I was going through the process of DAC selection as per reviews by ASR. (I know numbers aren't everything, but still :D)

After waiting for a month,
I asked my brother in US to pick up the Topping E30 which is currently selling for 129$. Now eagerly waiting for someone to bring it back.

my current setup is
Smart tv - - Fiio D03K - - Norge Concerto Gold 1000 - - DIY Bookshelf speakers MTM

I asked my brother in US to pick up the Topping E30 which is currently selling for 129$. Now eagerly waiting for someone to bring it back.
Congrats on your purchase !!!

my current setup is
Smart tv - - Fiio D03K - - Norge Concerto Gold 1000 - - DIY Bookshelf speakers MTM

Even i have set it up in similar config, using AmazonBasics DAC for now, hence wanted to buy a decent DAC & experience the difference :)

https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter/dp/B07KSB1MLX

i don't think there are any services available these days to safely source the products from abroad in the currently situation. Either sourcing charges are too high or there is a risk of delay in delivery /getting blocked in customs :(

Are FX-Audio good when compared with Schiit / Topping /SMSL? Any other brand which you can suggest within my budget, open for pre-owned too provided its not aged, has required connectivity options & of course within my budget.

FM, Looking forward for your feedback/suggestions. Will help me take informed decision.

I'm looking to buy new DAC for my stereo setup, which will interface with Smart TV & Blu-Ray/CD player into --> Norge Concerto + FS52.
Mandatory input connectivity options --> Optical, Coaxial, USB & Bluetooth is a plus......suggest within my budget, open for pre-owned too provided its not aged, has required connectivity options & of course within my budget...

If the budget is flexible, perhaps you can check out the TOPPING DX3 Pro LDAC that appears to have all your requirements met in one convenient package, and you can find it online with free worldwide shipping as well.

07c151d766a38fba72d0fee5428462f1.jpg

If the budget is flexible, perhaps you can check out the TOPPING DX3 Pro LDAC that appears to have all your requirements met in one convenient package, and you can find it online with free worldwide shipping as well.

07c151d766a38fba72d0fee5428462f1.jpg
I don't think shipments from china will be getting quick clearance anytime soon. HPZ will be getting Topping DACs in the upcoming weeks, so get your wallets ready :p

I don't think shipments from china will be getting quick clearance anytime soon. HPZ will be getting Topping DACs in the upcoming weeks, so get your wallets ready :p
Correct ordered some items from aliexpress in march still not recieved it

Is it updated version of DAC-X6, any views will be appreciated. Are FX-Audio good when compared with Schiit / Topping /SMSL?
I use FX-Audio DAC X6 for an year. My experience is bad. Initially I used Coax input to feed a Bluetooth Receiver out. The gain was was very less. After some troubleshooting found that the culprit was X6 RCA out gain. Then I found some high gain jumper in board which I set it in high gain mode, but it is applicable only to Headphone out (Not RCA out). So started using Headphone out to connect to stereo Amp. After this gain problem solved, but new problem came. After a couple of hours of usage (just before movie climax :) ), no sound from speakers - only bursting crackers sound some times. The powered down X6 and powered on after a few minutes, the problem solved.

You may find this performance and recommendation chart from audiosciencereview.com helpful.

Correct ordered some items from aliexpress in march still not recieved it
I am waiting for my Polk Speakers to get custom clearance for more than a month, usually it takes a few days. So ordering from aliexpress is not advised now.

Last edited:
Join The Indian Audiophile Forum on Facebook. They community there is very enthusiastic about DAC's and portable audio. They also have a pre-loved forum where DAC's come up for sale very often.

If the budget is flexible, perhaps you can check out the TOPPING DX3 Pro LDAC
Yes, i have added this to my list along with Topping E30, D50S & Modi 3. As some of the FM suggested, don't really want to take chance on shipping from abroad at this stage as i might end up waiting too long on delivery.

HPZ will be getting Topping DACs in the upcoming weeks, so get your wallets ready :p
Eagerly waiting for them to list out the products on their website, its become a routine for me to check HPZ everyday now :p
Will be interesting to check, which models from Topping they will be publishing on HPZ.

I use FX-Audio DAC X6 for an year. My experience is bad.
Thanks for sharing your experience @swamytk , i think i can certainly wait for some more time & see whats on offer from HPZ, then decide.

but i guess thats more of Desktop - Portable DAC + Amp for Headphones, missing out on Digital (Optical/Coaxial) inputs too.
Oh ok just checked this doesn't have all the ports you mentioned in your requirement thread

I was reading through threads other blogs and it just stuck me, kind of tubelight - I already got amazonbasic DAC, then why not look for preamp? Instead of replacement DAC. Does introducing preamp (i.e. azBasic DAC into preamp into Stereo amp) in the chain will help improve the sound stage or just look for better DAC and ignore getting preamp?

Expert opinion (pros/cons) will be highly appreciated, thank you!

I was reading through threads other blogs and it just stuck me, kind of tubelight - I already got amazonbasic DAC, then why not look for preamp? Instead of replacement DAC. Does introducing preamp (i.e. azBasic DAC into preamp into Stereo amp) in the chain will help improve the sound stage or just look for better DAC and ignore getting preamp?

Expert opinion (pros/cons) will be highly appreciated, thank you!
Any update?

Same here looking for DAC
MITV>>DAC>>Swans M200MKII

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back