Please welcome the newest member to my analog family...Hello Koetsu Black!

shaizada

I just picked up a Koetsu Black from a fellow enthusiast and the allure of the Koetsu sound is ..... JUST MAGIC.

The Koetsu Black I have is one of the most "human" sounding cartridges I have come across in my setup. The sound is just very realistic. There is a beauty in the midrange that is very difficult to express and even more difficult to analyze. I've been trying to characterize the sound, but I just can't.

I can give some basic information about it though. The bottom is extremely textured and well balanced, but not has visceral and integrated as my Clearaudio Accurate. The Koetsu has a more textured and tactile bottom end compared to the Ortofon Kontrapunkt B. The high end doesn't portray that last bit of air and shimmer compared to the Clearaudio Accurate either. I feel the Ortofon Kontrapunkt B has a comparable high end to the Koetsu which is a simply less extended compared to the best MC cartridges have out there.

But the midrange... that is the magic with the Koetsu. It has the best midrange glow I have heard in my system yet. That is where it becomes less of a piece of equipment and more of a entity mirroring a living breathing organism.

The Koetsu feels like a Mercedes S class drive. Confident, poised, determined and utter luxury as opposed to the Clearaudio Accurate which has transient speed and attack of a F1 racing car. The Accurate is a cartridge you use to hear every little nuance and detail of the music being played. Not so with the Koetsu. Sugano-san created a cartridge that will instantly connect with the warmth within our human nature...our instinct to live and breathe.

I urge all of you vinyl lovers to try and experience what it is that a Koetsu does. I don't think there is any analog journey that can be complete without paying homage to the Japanese master craft personified by the house of Koetsu.

Koetsu Black

Koetsu-Black-cartridge.jpg

Congrats Shaizada! That's a LUVVVVVVVVVLY cart! Truly one of the greats! You are one helluva lucky bloke! Enjoy!

And yeah, bro, am still looking for a Nighthawk! Any luck?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shaizada,

Congratulations on your new purchase.:clapping::clapping:

A Koetsu has been on my want list for a long time.Hopefully one day I will get one.

Regards
Rajiv

Congrats Shaizada! That's a LUVVVVVVVVVLY cart! Truly one of the greats! You are one helluva lucky bloke! Enjoy!

And yeah, bro, am still looking for a Nighthawk! Any luck?

Hey Manav,

Finding a used Nighthawk is going to be extremely difficult. It's so new and everyone so far has loved theirs. I doubt you will see any used ones in the market anytime soon. If I do ever see one, I'll bring it to your attention.

Also, even if a used one does come up, the difference in price won't be much from the new price. RSA products hold value extremely well. Just go for a new one...you won't be changing phono stage for a long time if ever. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shaizada,

Congratulations on your new purchase.:clapping::clapping:

A Koetsu has been on my want list for a long time.Hopefully one day I will get one.

Regards
Rajiv

Definitely do get one sometime in your journey. Koetsu carts are are really in a different league of sound. Makes you throw away all pretensions to what we believe hi quality audio should sound like.

The Black errs on the dark side of neutral. But a beautiful dark side! Again, definitely hard to explain.

I hate you :mad:

just kidding, congrats :D

I love you too! :p

Ok listening to Neil Young - Greatest Hits on Classic Records 200g vinyl.
This IS a weird cartridge. The louder I go on the volume control, the sound just keeps getting bigger without ANY harshness whatsoever. None of my other cartridges do this! The Koetsu just keeps on blooming with the warmth intact.

I have it loaded at 300ohms through the Einstein phono. Heavenly! Wish I could have played this for Viren when he was over here. This sound is right up his alley.

Congrats Shaizada!!! That's a great upgrade indeed!! :) Bet that's as far from CD as one can get!

With my extremely limited experience, I am of the opinion that it might be very difficult to get a component that manages magical midrange of the most beguiling variety and marries that with tight, punchy bass as well.

From what you say of the Koetsu, it appears to be one among those 'difficult to obtain' components. Congrats Shaizada! And have fun.

With my extremely limited experience, I am of the opinion that it might be very difficult to get a component that manages magical midrange of the most beguiling variety and marries that with tight, punchy bass as well.

From what you say of the Koetsu, it appears to be one among those 'difficult to obtain' components. Congrats Shaizada! And have fun.

Thanks guys!

Vortex, the strength of the Koetsu lies within the mystique of its midrange. Now, the Clearaudio Accurate has much more tighter and punchier bass without a shadow of a doubt. However, the rendering of the Koetsu has a plethora of texture, timbre and finesse. It doesn't reach as low as the Accurate, nor does it hit with the weight of the Accurate. The Koetsu bass is more "human". It is more of satin touch. It is not visceral, but the impact on our soul of the listener is beguiling.

The Koetsu creates a very rarified air. It integrates the bass and the treble within its sonic tapestry. Nothing jumps out at you. It just flows with the music. I can see how the Koetsu sound would be an acquired taste. It does nothing of the typical "audiophile" traits that are prevalent in hifi today. The Koetsu defies that sound. It takes a sure shot, straight path to the heart of the listener...if he CHOOSES to listen.

Have you tried this yet ?

The tracking ability of this cartridge is really outstanding. I'm so lost in its musical capabilities that I didn't really get a chance to talk about its superb tracking. I remember seeing that youtube video...it's fascinating and scary at the same time. I would NEVER play a record that is warped like that on my setup without my trusty periphery ring! :p

Thanks guys!

Vortex, the strength of the Koetsu lies within the mystique of its midrange. Now, the Clearaudio Accurate has much more tighter and punchier bass without a shadow of a doubt. However, the rendering of the Koetsu has a plethora of texture, timbre and finesse. It doesn't reach as low as the Accurate, nor does it hit with the weight of the Accurate. The Koetsu bass is more "human". It is more of satin touch. It is not visceral, but the impact on our soul of the listener is beguiling.

The Koetsu creates a very rarified air. It integrates the bass and the treble within its sonic tapestry. Nothing jumps out at you. It just flows with the music. I can see how the Koetsu sound would be an acquired taste. It does nothing of the typical "audiophile" traits that are prevalent in hifi today. The Koetsu defies that sound. It takes a sure shot, straight path to the heart of the listener...if he CHOOSES to listen.

Shaizada could you compare Koetsu's sound with the SET 2A3 as this also according to me has a glorious midrange.

Thanks pal

Congrats Shaizada. Saw this thread a little too late, I guess.

When you describe the qualities of the cartridge, I am not surprised that you like it, since it has the same sound signature that I think you want from all your components...and it matches the vinyl sound that you crave as well...heart-warming and musical, without sounding clinical. Hope you have a lot more listening hours with it.

Hi Shaizada,

Good to see your music system still "evolving"! Have heard lots about the Koetsu, but never sampled one. It's one of those ageless products (no doubt with ongoing improvements) - I remember the Koetsu cartridges being raved about in the early 80s.

Age certainly has some relation to the musical qualities of audio components. Components that have been giving pleasure to listeners continuously for so many years. Kind of like tube amps and tube designs that just keep reproducing music!

All the best,
Viren

Shaizada could you compare Koetsu's sound with the SET 2A3 as this also according to me has a glorious midrange.

Thanks pal

Hey buddy,

I can tell you that different cartridges can have profound effects like having different speakers. So yes, there can be very large variances. However, comparing so the sound of an SET 2A3 is going to be difficult. They all sound different depending on the circuit and particular parts being used.

I think Viren would be the best person to consult on the differences. In the end, just trust your ears :)

Hi Shaizada,
just want to know when you put all these new cartridges how do you play around with the VTA. I mean to say do you simply trust your ear or do something else. Actually I haven't really touched it yet in my rig and can't really locate any guide how to use it. Any pointers?
Thanks.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back