Pls Advise regarding adding a Power Amp into my Stereo Set up

jagdish_p

For quiet some time I have been toying with the idea of adding a power Amplifier in the range of 150 200 W RMS to improve the dynamic response of my stereo system.

My existing set up:
1)Source Files: FLAC, WAV,320 Kbps Mp3 on Hard disc
2) Player : Marantz NA -7004 network player- USB connection to HDD
3)Amplifier: Arcam A 28 Stereo Amp - Continuous power output (20Hz20kHz at 0.5% THD), per channel 8 Ohms 75 W
5)Speakers: Tannoy Revolution DC 6T SE Towers
Recommended Amp Power: 20 - 175 ( Watts RMS)
Continuous Power handling : 87 W RMS
Peak Power Handling : 350 Watts
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
6) Cables: IC - Monster M 8501 , Speaker Cables : 12 Gauge - MX

My Listening distance is about 10 to 12 feet at low volumes, room size 22 FeetX18 Feet.

I can source a Power Amp from USA and am considering amps with in a budget of $300 to $500. ( Open to : Used/ New/Vintage )
After going through the available options on e bay, got thoroughly confused and need some expert advise.
The only firm shortlist I could make is on Emotiva XPA 200 at $400. Partly the deciding factor is the 220 V suitability. Other options in the used market : i) Adcom GFA 555 ,ii) NAD 2600A . Liked Carver but they do not seem to be having 220 V Option.

My queries/ Doubts:
a) Is my upgrade path correct or will adding any of the above amps degrade the SQ. I am not unhappy with my existing set up but the upgrade bug has caught me. :)
b) Alternatively can you suggest a Power Amp in the $300-$500 range? Even in India if available.
c) Also any pointers on what pitfalls to watch for. ( other then the pitfall of buying used gear) I will not be able to audition the Amps but I am assuming that the power Amps will not add any color to the SQ.
Thanks

Try arcam p35 or p38 . you will get one on audiogon in your budget. Most likely it will also operate at 230v.

Both are not available on Audiogon. In any case both are only 100/105 W. Not much of an increase compared to 75 W of my existing FMJ A 28.

how will an amp change give you deeper bass ? you already have one that is 75W@8 ohm.

more power can give more control but i am not sure about more bass.

if you are really serious then your budget is a constraint as there are amplifiers and there are some more amplifiers.

maybe you need a session or two with a few Hyderabad FM's to listen to your rig and discuss about what can be done. In many cases its the room or the positioning.

IMO, you are good equipment wise.

just trying to save you some money thats all.

one option would be to let the present arcam go and look for an even more powerful integrated with more money.

rergards

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have suggested Audiocontrol Rialto400, but its out of your budget.
It would certainly take care of your Bass needs.

how will an amp change give you deeper bass ? you already have one that is 75W@8 ohm.

more power can give more control but i am not sure about more bass.

if you are really serious then your budget is a constraint as there are amplifiers and there are some more amplifiers.

maybe you need a session or two with a few Hyderabad FM's to listen to your rig and discuss about what can be done. In many cases its the room or the positioning.

IMO, you are good equipment wise.

just trying to save you some money thats all.

one option would be to let the present arcam go and look for an even more powerful integrated with more money.

rergards

As I mentioned I am really not clear - but two other FMs have suggested that I should get a more powerful Amp for better sound stage. So if the power Amp works out then may be I will add a Pre and let go the existing 75 W Arcam.

I had a Parasound 2125 that I bought for $350 (lightly used). List price is in the $800 range. It is very well implemented and has good power. It also has a 115/230v selector switch at the back. It used to do 120W on 8ohms and 200W on 4 ohms. It has now been upgraded to the 2250 model which has even more power. It also never heated up so works well in tight spaces.

I had a Parasound 2125 that I bought for $350 (lightly used). List price is in the $800 range. It is very well implemented and has good power. It also has a 115/230v selector switch at the back. It used to do 120W on 8ohms and 200W on 4 ohms. It has now been upgraded to the 2250 model which has even more power. It also never heated up so works well in tight spaces.

Yes Specs are good and match my requirement. Will search for one in my budget:). Thanks

more powerful Amp for better sound stage.

That's probably flawed advice. More power doesn't have to equate to more, deeper, or more tuneful bass, or sound stage for that matter. In my limited experience, the biggest change in bass comes from correct placement of speakers. Followed by better preamp. Followed by interconnect cables. Then by speaker cables. I have swapped out only two power amps, and they do have different bass signatures.

Sound stage depends on the electronics and the speakers (especially the tweeters) and to a much lesser degree on cables.

My point being power amp alone may not be the cure. And it could be your magic bullet, too.

The easiest thing you can experiment with is speaker placement if you have some room to maneuvre. Takes some patience, but no investment needed except for your time and energy. Do mark original positions in case you want to revert back. See if it brings a desirable improvement in your sound.

Last edited:
+1 to Joshua above.

Soundstage and deep bass improvement will not happen because amplifier change. Soundstage has a lot to do with speaker placement, wall reflections and it coherency with speakers. Deep bass is again dependent upon speakers (meaning how low your speakers can produce) and how the room behaves.

Changing the amp with more wattage will be useful if your speakers are demanding as such and that too with dynamics only. You would be surprised how little power is needed for driving speakers. Now, if you are using big drivers, like 18 inch with heavy eq gain in 20 hz region, then you would need lots of power.

Thanks for pointing to a good site. The 2125 is already sold out. Will keep looking at this site.
Try a change of interconnects. This has been reported to have helped.

That's probably flawed advice. More power doesn't have to equate to more, deeper, or more tuneful bass, or sound stage for that matter. In my limited experience, the biggest change in bass comes from correct placement of speakers. Followed by better preamp. Followed by interconnect cables. Then by speaker cables. I have swapped out only two power amps, and they do have different bass signatures.

Sound stage depends on the electronics and the speakers (especially the tweeters) and to a much lesser degree on cables.

My point being power amp alone may not be the cure. And it could be your magic bullet, too.

The easiest thing you can experiment with is speaker placement if you have some room to maneuvre. Takes some patience, but no investment needed except for your time and energy. Do mark original positions in case you want to revert back. See if it brings a desirable improvement in your sound.

+1 to Joshua above.

Soundstage and deep bass improvement will not happen because amplifier change. Soundstage has a lot to do with speaker placement, wall reflections and it coherency with speakers. Deep bass is again dependent upon speakers (meaning how low your speakers can produce) and how the room behaves.

Changing the amp with more wattage will be useful if your speakers are demanding as such and that too with dynamics only. You would be surprised how little power is needed for driving speakers. Now, if you are using big drivers, like 18 inch with heavy eq gain in 20 hz region, then you would need lots of power.

OK I got the point and thanks for the caution. Yes I did try different speaker positions ( In a limited way -with in space constraints). Will also try with a different IC I have ( a Profigold PROA4201 IC).
The speakers have 6" Woofers and as per specs go down only upto 34 Hz

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back