Pls recommend Stereo System under 30K

logmein

a. Budget: Upto 30K but if there is something exceptional I could touch 35K.

b. Listening tastes: Vocal/ classical music, traditional indian/ bollywood, bass.

c. Type of system: Stereo 5.1 system. I am not aware of what components are required but at this point assume that 5 satellite speakers, a subwoofer and a main AV receiver are all that is required. Pls help fill in any gaps.

d. Usage: Playing songs via USB/ CD-DVD/ TV/ Laptop. Being able to play movies on TV through CD/DVD player. 3D and Bluray both are not important to me at this point unless extremely cost effective.

e. Listening area: Will be accomodated inside the living room/ bedroom. No special arrangements have been made to accomodate the system physically or functionally.

f. Systems already selected: None yet. I have been recommended Sony by my near friends and my B-in-law has it but I know they are far from being the best.

g. Where do you Live: Margao, Goa, India.

I may not have included this post in the right section or specified complete information. Apologies if that is the case, kindly help point out so I can correct the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice extended.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to HifiVision.

Stereo means 2 channels, left and right. A 5.1 setup is meant for movies and music recorded in multichannel format (SACD/DVD Audio) etc.

If your primary aim is music, get an integrated amplifier and a pair of speakers. For movies yes, you need an AVR and the 5.1 setup.

Look at Htib solutions from Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer. If you are okay with used gear, all the better. Another option is to build up your rig gradually.

a. Budget: Upto 30K but if there is something exceptional I could touch 35K.

b. Listening tastes: Vocal/ classical music, traditional indian/ bollywood, bass.

c. Type of system: Stereo 5.1 system. I am not aware of what components are required but at this point assume that 5 satellite speakers, a subwoofer and a main AV receiver are all that is required. Pls help fill in any gaps.

d. Usage: Playing songs via USB/ CD-DVD/ TV/ Laptop. Being able to play movies on TV through CD/DVD player. 3D and Bluray both are not important to me at this point unless extremely cost effective.

e. Listening area: Will be accomodated inside the living room/ bedroom. No special arrangements have been made to accomodate the system physically or functionally.

f. Systems already selected: None yet. I have been recommended Sony by my near friends and my B-in-law has it but I know they are far from being the best.

g. Where do you Live: Margao, Goa, India.

I may not have included this post in the right section or specified complete information. Apologies if that is the case, kindly help point out so I can correct the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice extended.

Welcome to the Forum.....You are in the right place & you have started the right thread....No apologies....:eek:hyeah:

When you have the luxury of space, you can decide on what should be where.... But if you want to have it in living room, perfectly fine... Thatz where most of us have the system.....

As @shuv mentioned stereo is 2.0.. You can make it 2.1 if you like good bass (.1 is subwoofer)....

You may take a look @ modern stereo receivers with digital inputs.....

Onkyo TX 8050 / 8020, Yamaha RN 500, Marantz PM6005, Harman Kardon HK3490....

Hello and welcome to HifiVision.

Stereo means 2 channels, left and right. A 5.1 setup is meant for movies and music recorded in multichannel format (SACD/DVD Audio) etc.

If your primary aim is music, get an integrated amplifier and a pair of speakers. For movies yes, you need an AVR and the 5.1 setup.

Look at Htib solutions from Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer. If you are okay with used gear, all the better. Another option is to build up your rig gradually.
Shuv, thanks for your input.

I did not get your point about used gear. Who sells it, where, and how reliable is it? I intend to upgrade to a better sound system in the years to come, this will be my first buy and step.

Welcome to the Forum.....You are in the right place & you have started the right thread....No apologies....:eek:hyeah:

When you have the luxury of space, you can decide on what should be where.... But if you want to have it in living room, perfectly fine... Thatz where most of us have the system.....

As @shuv mentioned stereo is 2.0.. You can make it 2.1 if you like good bass (.1 is subwoofer)....

You may take a look @ modern stereo receivers with digital inputs.....

Onkyo TX 8050 / 8020, Yamaha RN 500, Marantz PM6005, Harman Kardon HK3490....
Elangoas, appreciate the warm start to your response :)

Having read both your and Shuv's general pointers, wondering if it would be a better idea to invest in a 5.1 system which will be future proof for a couple of years, I could build on it then? I didnt realize stereo meant 2.1

My current usage will be strongly limited to listening to songs and watching movies/ TV with the sound output coming from this setup. My current TV (medium sized Onida) hardly stimulates me to invest further in a full blooded setup nor does my budget. Moving on I might be able to upgrade this TV thereby making it into a HT kind of setup.

So to summarize, given the same budget and a 5.1 plan, what components will I need? And does it sound like a sensible idea? I read someplace about a HT not doing justice to an audiophile and sticking to 2.1 if all you need is music. Was it contextual? Help advice.

Shuv, your inputs highly invited and regarded as well.

Hi Logmein

Firstly a warm welcome to HifiVision. Well there are a lot of systems in todays market which may appeal to you now but later you will regret purchasing the same and often find methods to get rid of it etc. Well take it from me, have changed AVRs over the past 12 years. Yamaha was good at a point in time, Denon / Onkyo are average performers.

Since you are from Goa, Music is important and who would know better than me....have my inlaws staying at Margao Goa. For me Music comes first as I was an active DJ since school days so quality, technicalities, depth, punch in sound matters big time. Now I DJ for fun, kicks etc.

Currently I use a Marantz NR slim AVR series which is indeed true value for money, it has all the required user friendly MUSIC / GAME / MOVIE modes anyone desires....bass treble for fine tuning....M-DAX feature to clean up the MP3s you play to sound better than CD quality..the most important feature....adjustable 9 band graphic equaliser...This all is important to me..so this 5.1 system really rocks....my 5 friends have purchased the same in their houses....2 forum members here purchased the same...see thread on Marantz owners.

Boston Acoustics Soundware xs 5.1 is true value for money and performance.....better than BOSE acousticmass speakers...so here is a good setup for you....

Marantz AVR NR1504 = Rs 42k on HiFi Mart
Boston Acoustics Soundware xs 5.1 = 23k on HiFi Mart

If you buy both together as a package from Hi FI Mart, you will get it for 52k....

Speaker wires need to be purchased separately....OFC which is oxygen free cable of 18 or 16 AWG (American Wire gauge) needs to be used for better output.

A budget and entry level Blu Ray player is Pioneer BDP 150 which works well (region free) and cost between 10-12k. It reads a 1 TB external hard disk without any fuss....all movies music sound great......This I use at my mom's house...I use a little higher end Pioneer BDP LX 55 which cost 30k but I got the same for 20k...region free...better sound and video quality..as good as the OPPO which costs anything between 45k - 120k.

Good HDMI cables from Monster should work well for audio and data transfer for music / videos.

Subwoofer cable is also required. All this above should come within 85k + or - 3 k or even cheaper if you know some dealer who can ensure warranty and provide cheaper.

This setup works well in an area of 200 sq ft. If you are living in a traditionally large old goa house, you would need tower speakers and would recommend that you go for these speakers instead of the Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1 The cost would go up but it is an awesome setup and will definitely last you for years.

Boston Floor Standers Front Speakers
Boston Acoustics A 250 Floorstanding Speaker

Boston Centre speaker
Boston Acoustics A 225C Center Channel Loudspeaker

Boston Rear speakers
Boston Acoustics A 25 Speaker

Boston Subwoofer
Boston Acoustics ASW 650 Subwoofer

Well see what appeals to you. The front speakers + subwoofer sound great for music and Marantz amps (AVRs) have been in the business for more than 50 years...there are tons of reviews which will support that they are first for music then movies...I am a happy user.

Hope this helps

Elangoas, appreciate the warm start to your response :)

Having read both your and Shuv's general pointers, wondering if it would be a better idea to invest in a 5.1 system which will be future proof for a couple of years, I could build on it then? I didnt realize stereo meant 2.1

My current usage will be strongly limited to listening to songs and watching movies/ TV with the sound output coming from this setup. My current TV (medium sized Onida) hardly stimulates me to invest further in a full blooded setup nor does my budget. Moving on I might be able to upgrade this TV thereby making it into a HT kind of setup.

So to summarize, given the same budget and a 5.1 plan, what components will I need? And does it sound like a sensible idea? I read someplace about a HT not doing justice to an audiophile and sticking to 2.1 if all you need is music. Was it contextual? Help advice.

Shuv, your inputs highly invited and regarded as well.

If you have movies in 5.1 format (BR Rips, DVD), then getting an AVR makes perfect sense....

If your will be listening to stereo predominantly, you are better off with an stereo amplifier/ stereo receiver...

For 30K budget, you can only buy an entry level AVR..... For speakers (BS alone) you may need an other 15K budget......

Hi Logmein

Firstly a warm welcome to HifiVision. Well there are a lot of systems in todays market which may appeal to you now but later you will regret purchasing the same and often find methods to get rid of it etc. Well take it from me, have changed AVRs over the past 12 years. Yamaha was good at a point in time, Denon / Onkyo are average performers.

Since you are from Goa, Music is important and who would know better than me....have my inlaws staying at Margao Goa. For me Music comes first as I was an active DJ since school days so quality, technicalities, depth, punch in sound matters big time. Now I DJ for fun, kicks etc.

Currently I use a Marantz NR slim AVR series which is indeed true value for money, it has all the required user friendly MUSIC / GAME / MOVIE modes anyone desires....bass treble for fine tuning....M-DAX feature to clean up the MP3s you play to sound better than CD quality..the most important feature....adjustable 9 band graphic equaliser...This all is important to me..so this 5.1 system really rocks....my 5 friends have purchased the same in their houses....2 forum members here purchased the same...see thread on Marantz owners.

Boston Acoustics Soundware xs 5.1 is true value for money and performance.....better than BOSE acousticmass speakers...so here is a good setup for you....

Marantz AVR NR1504 = Rs 42k on HiFi Mart
Boston Acoustics Soundware xs 5.1 = 23k on HiFi Mart

If you buy both together as a package from Hi FI Mart, you will get it for 52k....

Speaker wires need to be purchased separately....OFC which is oxygen free cable of 18 or 16 AWG (American Wire gauge) needs to be used for better output.

A budget and entry level Blu Ray player is Pioneer BDP 150 which works well (region free) and cost between 10-12k. It reads a 1 TB external hard disk without any fuss....all movies music sound great......This I use at my mom's house...I use a little higher end Pioneer BDP LX 55 which cost 30k but I got the same for 20k...region free...better sound and video quality..as good as the OPPO which costs anything between 45k - 120k.

Good HDMI cables from Monster should work well for audio and data transfer for music / videos.

Subwoofer cable is also required. All this above should come within 85k + or - 3 k or even cheaper if you know some dealer who can ensure warranty and provide cheaper.

This setup works well in an area of 200 sq ft. If you are living in a traditionally large old goa house, you would need tower speakers and would recommend that you go for these speakers instead of the Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1 The cost would go up but it is an awesome setup and will definitely last you for years.

Boston Floor Standers Front Speakers
Boston Acoustics A 250 Floorstanding Speaker

Boston Centre speaker
Boston Acoustics A 225C Center Channel Loudspeaker

Boston Rear speakers
Boston Acoustics A 25 Speaker

Boston Subwoofer
Boston Acoustics ASW 650 Subwoofer

Well see what appeals to you. The front speakers + subwoofer sound great for music and Marantz amps (AVRs) have been in the business for more than 50 years...there are tons of reviews which will support that they are first for music then movies...I am a happy user.

Hope this helps
Fernando, thanks for the detailed response. A big hi out to your in laws :)

My budget unfortunately won't extend beyond 30-35k. Would it be a good idea to buy an avr at this point and only 2front speakers, assuming this'd be future proof as far as upgrade is concerned? or perhaps some other avr with 5.1 on budget (marantz) that you'd recommend? or best I'd stick to a stereo amp like I have been suggested by others?

you cud get decent 5.1 avr for 20-25k(wud prefer denon or marantz) there could be one on sale here as well..

Get good speakers like wharfedale book shelf (12-15k). Get a pair for now and then keep adding speakers over a period of time. (For eg. You cud get satellite speakrs from bose as rear spkrs.)

Sky is the limit when it comes to high end stuff, your budget ishiod enough to make a decent start.

you cud get decent 5.1 avr for 20-25k(wud prefer denon or marantz) there could be one on sale here as well..

Get good speakers like wharfedale book shelf (12-15k). Get a pair for now and then keep adding speakers over a period of time. (For eg. You cud get satellite speakrs from bose as rear spkrs.)

Sky is the limit when it comes to high end stuff, your budget ishiod enough to make a decent start.
This is what I thought of as well. no marantz in that range it seems, will recheck on mart site

Hi, there is a shop in Madgaon, in the same building as Osia multiplex. You can get a taste of hifi/ht at their demo room. I forgot the name of the dealer but you should be able to spot the shop easily.

~Swapnil

Welcome to hifivision logmein...

You can go for an entry level avr (check pioneer in hifimart) along with BS (sonodyne) which will be within the budget of 30-35K and later on you can add centre, subwoofer and surrounds as and when you budget permit to complete the 5.1. setup.

However, if your primary requirement is music then you can go for a stereo setup i.e. stereo amp + bs and even you can use this setup with your tv/ dvd player unless you have movies (BDs/ rips) exclusively in 5.1 format.

Initially when I joined this forum my budget (30K) was just like yours, but after joining here I ended up spending thrice the amount of my initial budget. Its additive. :mad::clapping:

Hi, there is a shop in Madgaon, in the same building as Osia multiplex. You can get a taste of hifi/ht at their demo room. I forgot the name of the dealer but you should be able to spot the shop easily.

~Swapnil

Swapnil, yes that's something I was recommended by my local friends as well. Id always thought it was a JBL showroom, but is quite apparently not. They provide custom rigs I am told again.

You can go for an entry level avr (check pioneer in hifimart) along with BS (sonodyne) which will be within the budget of 30-35K and later on you can add centre, subwoofer and surrounds as and when you budget permit to complete the 5.1. setup.

However, if your primary requirement is music then you can go for a stereo setup i.e. stereo amp + bs and even you can use this setup with your tv/ dvd player unless you have movies (BDs/ rips) exclusively in 5.1 format.

Initially when I joined this forum my budget (30K) was just like yours, but after joining here I ended up spending thrice the amount of my initial budget. Its additive. :mad::clapping:

I have been hearing only good things about Marantz and was keen on the piece Fernando had suggested earlier on in his post. However given it wont pretty much allow me to purchase anything else, I would consider

OPTION 1: Entry level AVR + Subwoofer + 2 Front Speakers + CD Player with USB + Connecting Cables

or

OPTION 2: Stereo Integrated Amp cum Subwoofer + 2 Front Speakers + CD Player with USB + Connecting Cables

or

OPTION 3: Onkyo S3400 or a Denon 1312XP HTS. I have heard great things about these.

SUBJECT to an overall BUDGET of 30-35K.

I apologize if I am beginning to irritate the FMs but it does seem to me like I am myself confused big time between a 2.1 and a 5.1/ HTS. Somewhere down the line I probably'd end up resolving it in my head, but wanted to know what to go for either ways.

:)

I have been hearing only good things about Marantz and was keen on the piece Fernando had suggested earlier on in his post. However given it wont pretty much allow me to purchase anything else, I would consider

OPTION 1: Entry level AVR + Subwoofer + 2 Front Speakers + CD Player with USB + Connecting Cables

or

OPTION 2: Stereo Integrated Amp cum Subwoofer + 2 Front Speakers + CD Player with USB + Connecting Cables

or

OPTION 3: Onkyo S3400 or a Denon 1312XP HTS. I have heard great things about these.

SUBJECT to an overall BUDGET of 30-35K.

I apologize if I am beginning to irritate the FMs but it does seem to me like I am myself confused big time between a 2.1 and a 5.1/ HTS. Somewhere down the line I probably'd end up resolving it in my head, but wanted to know what to go for either ways.

:)

OPTION 4 : Used route - Cost effective......:eek:hyeah:

If you okay with used AVR's, i would say you can easily find one for 10 ~ 12K depending the # of years old & the condition... If you will be watching BR Rips more, then an old AVR with an Optical / Co-axial can do the job for you....

For you remaining 20K, you can choose a 3.0 setup for now ( L, C , R).. Later when you have budget, finish the 5.1 setup first & then upgrade your AVR @ the last.... (that time you can sell the used AVR)....

OPTION 4 : Used route - Cost effective......:eek:hyeah:

If you okay with used AVR's, i would say you can easily find one for 10 ~ 12K depending the # of years old & the condition... If you will be watching BR Rips more, then an old AVR with an Optical / Co-axial can do the job for you....

For you remaining 20K, you can choose a 3.0 setup for now ( L, C , R).. Later when you have budget, finish the 5.1 setup first & then upgrade your AVR @ the last.... (that time you can sell the used AVR)....

How reliable are the used units traded by FMs? Is there any way to find out the quality without auditioning them? I doubt Id be able to find any in Goa.

I do not doubt the intentions of most genuine FMs, am sure I will be selling my rig here online some day, just wanted to be guided on the thought process that would help set my expectations in order when buying used stuff online.

RMCWS, What abbreviation does the term BS denote? Bookshelf I presume?

#noobalert

How reliable are the used units traded by FMs? Is there any way to find out the quality without auditioning them? I doubt Id be able to find any in Goa.

I do not doubt the intentions of most genuine FMs, am sure I will be selling my rig here online some day, just wanted to be guided on the thought process that would help set my expectations in order when buying used stuff online.

buying from FM here are Perfectly genuine...i have bought an used AVR & 2 CD players from FM.... They were working perfectly fine until i sold them off....

You should check them before you make a decision.... Try Olx, Quick R too for AVR & you will get good deals....

Yes BS stands for - Book Shelf & FS stand for Floor standers/towers

Guys, I read on another post that the Denon 1312XP stands discontinued, can anyone second/ confirm this?

Effectively lowers my HTS options to Onkyo 3400/ 3500 amd the Yamaha 196 if at all.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back