Plz help on decision whether to buy HD-DVD player

max123_ind

I bought " UltimateMatrix" boxset on HDDVD years ago (and it's still sealed :sad:) on some sale on DeepDiscount.. anyways. I was wondering if I should just leave it or get a HD-DVD player that upconverts and use it as an upscaling player and use BD player for BDs..

I see that Samsung India selling HD DVD players.. are they any good? I heard Toshiba HDDVD players .. the ones like A20 etc were the BEST upscaling players in those days...

Where can we get those and is it a good idea to add to the clutter of players...... :confused:

Dear Max, please make sure that you understand the different formats - DVD, HD-DVD and BD. All players sold as HD DVD players in India are actually upconverting DVD players with an HDMI output. They would not play HD-DVDs. Samsung in India does not sell HD-DVD players. Toshiba was the one that started the HD-DVD era which did not last very long. They apparently had pretty good players. There are a couple of HD-DVD users in this community, they would be able to help you.

This gimmick of selling upconverting DVDPs as HD DVDPs has misled a lot of people. My cousin got me a few HD-DVDs thinking I had HD-DVDP.

PS: If you manage to source HD-DVDPs in India, please do post here. There are a lot of ppl waiting to get one...

To enjoy HD-DVDs on cheap try looking for a used HD DVD player from ebay.com, look out for Toshiba's A-35, as this was the player which could also bitstream HD audio, otherwise if you happen to have a Xbox 360 then try finding out the external HD DVD drive for it on ebay.com which gets attached to any Xbox 360 and then you can play all HD DVDs through that external USB drive, whould not cost you anything more than 2K as that was the price I got for my Drive and 350 bucks for each HD Dvds.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back