Point and Shoot camera

sunilkm

Hi,

Wanted to buy a point and shoot camera and I am not able to see any models below 20k ( with good optical zoom )
There used to be canon power shot SX series and few models from Sony HS series and Nikon.
Now I do see all upwards 35k.

Please suggest if any FM has some recent model details. Thanks.

Agree with alpha1, point and shoot cameras would not be recommended as smartphone camera technology has caught up and if I may take the liberty to say have surpassed in terms of photo quality e.g. Google Pixel series IMHO.
Do you have any specific use in mind for opting for a point and shoot camera?

Hi,

Wanted to buy a point and shoot camera and I am not able to see any models below 20k ( with good optical zoom )
There used to be canon power shot SX series and few models from Sony HS series and Nikon.

The right place to lookout for will be here.
https://www.dxomark.com

One could start off from this filter for Compact.

1651734595160.png

I am curious to know why you want to buy a point-and-shoot camera in this age?
Needed for my daughter to use during the travel. Basically looking for with good zoom capability and also to record some short videos.
Do not want to buy a DSLR now

The point and shoot camera market has been wiped out by the improvements in mobile phone cameras.

If you are really keen, then check what is available pre-owned.

I had a number of such cameras, which I basically just gave away, because they had become worthless.

Needed for my daughter to use during the travel. Basically looking for with good zoom capability and also to record some short videos.
Oh yes, its perfect for them. No matter what a mobile camera is capable of, the fun of a proper point and shoot is something else. Especially if its a budding photographer. I gave my 10 yr old an old Canon IXUS point and shoot and she is thrilled with it. I might have a Sony too. I think its missing the battery. If I can find it and if you are interested, you can pick it up for your daughter.

MaSh

There are two varieties of point&shoots in the market surviving today:
1) the ones with super long zoom - so much so that you can film craters on moon
2) the ones with slightly large sensor, zoom limited - hence brighter lens - you can take dim light shots that sometimes may rival mirrorless

The usual market of IXUS has ben usurped by Smart phones. And rightly so. I can vouch that in low light situations it is the artificial intelligence that produces better photos rather than brighter lens or bigger sensor. (Comparison done between Samsung NX1000 and Redmi note 7s).

But you are right, the hand feel of "chunky" camera with knobs, buttons and controls cannot be matched by slim body with touchscreen.

Hi,

you may not find a good one at that price new since as mentioned by others, the smartphones are far better options .

If you are ok with very good condition used, go to CEX in phoenix mall in bangalore. they might have a Sony Cybershot/Nikon coolpix series camera and they give warranty with it. they have very good zoom and give a clarity which only high end phones can give.

Seems they have a website.. - This looks like a good option..if you have some old phones etc you can give it to them and if the condition is ok for them to accept you get that much off the price ( take it as a voucher than cash).

I use to go to them when my son was into gaming for games and know they are very stringent in acceptance and provide warranty as well.

You may go for bridge cameras as they would provide a middle ground between point and shoot and DSLR cameras. They will provide very good zoom ability without much bulk gain.
I personally have used the Panasonic Lumix FZ35 with super zoom ability and compact size, its 10+ years old now and still working fine, although it does not live upto smartphone clarity in the current age.

Oh yes, its perfect for them. No matter what a mobile camera is capable of, the fun of a proper point and shoot is something else. Especially if its a budding photographer. I gave my 10 yr old an old Canon IXUS point and shoot and she is thrilled with it. I might have a Sony too. I think its missing the battery. If I can find it and if you are interested, you can pick it up for your daughter.

MaSh
Thanks. I will let you know in case could not get a new one.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back