Polk Audio RTiA7 or Wharfdale 10.7 or Jamo C605

zoso02

Hi Everyone...need some help.

I currently have a Yamaha 5.1 amp (RXV 595 - 75 W RMS @ 8 Ohm) connected to a Bose 4.2 direct reflecting bookshelf speakers. I am looking at upgrading my speakers to floor standing (preferably 3 way) and have been listening to a few. Here is where I need help;

- In your experience which speaker would be better if I listen to a lot of rock/blues/jazz. The RTiA7 or Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 or Jamo C605?

- The RTiA7 is 300W RMS will my amp be able to sufficiently power it? It is 75W RMS @ 8 Ohms

- Are there any other speakers in the below Rs.60,000 range that you feel would be better than the ones I have mentioned?

- If I was to buy the RTiA7 and wanted to change my amp to a stereo amp which one would you suggest below Rs25,000.

I know these are a lot of questions :)...any help from you guys would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Jasdeep

Hi Everyone...need some help.

I currently have a Yamaha 5.1 amp (RXV 595 - 75 W RMS @ 8 Ohm) connected to a Bose 4.2 direct reflecting bookshelf speakers. I am looking at upgrading my speakers to floor standing (preferably 3 way) and have been listening to a few. Here is where I need help;

- In your experience which speaker would be better if I listen to a lot of rock/blues/jazz. The RTiA7 or Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 or Jamo C605?

- The RTiA7 is 300W RMS will my amp be able to sufficiently power it? It is 75W RMS @ 8 Ohms

- Are there any other speakers in the below Rs.60,000 range that you feel would be better than the ones I have mentioned?

- If I was to buy the RTiA7 and wanted to change my amp to a stereo amp which one would you suggest below Rs25,000.

I know these are a lot of questions :)...any help from you guys would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Jasdeep

You will need a stereo amp with atleast 100watts/channel to get the best out of a 300 w/channel speaker...wud suggest auditioning the wharfedale 9.5 (150 watts)/9.6 (200w) FS which cost between 36-40k...these can be driven well with a 50 w/channel stereo amp like CA Azur 550a (60watts/ch) or the NAD 326 BEE (50 W/channel)...both are priced in the 25-30k price range new....alternatively u can look for used amps at higher output ...like the NAD 352 or CA 650A

Thanks Guys...appreciate your quick response!

Kittu...any idea where I can get to listen to Paradigm , Monitor Audio, PSB , MS mezzo in Bangalore...any dealers here?

Asterix...where could I pick up these amp in Bangalore? Also any source for the used amps...like a website...dealer etc?

Paradigm:
Rontek Systems - Jacob - 9845047290
Theater @ Home - Francais - 9844484732

Rest of them you can search in the forum with "AV Dealers Bangalore"..

Monitor Audio BR5/BX5 (FS)
Monitor Audio RX2 (BS)

B&W 684/683

Polk is more for movies and you will perhaps get better things than Wharf in your budget.

For 25k, the best receivers you would get would be from Marantz or Cambridge Audio or Harman Kardon but none would be powerful enough to drive 50-60k speakers to their full potential.

Thanks...
Do u guys think a norge amp at 125 rms is good to drive speakers like the warfdale 10.6/7 or any other good speaker at around 200 rms? Any experience with norge amplifiers?

Thanks...
Do u guys think a norge amp at 125 rms is good to drive speakers like the warfdale 10.6/7 or any other good speaker at around 200 rms? Any experience with norge amplifiers?

Do compare apples to apples. The norge amp and most other amps are rated with an 8 ohm impedance. The wharfedales and Jamos are 6 ohm impedance speakers. So check the amp power rating for 6 ohm impedance.

Also, most speakers will have a range for power input and not one value. A lot more would be achieved with the quality of the power and not necessarily quantity.

Thanks everyone...decided to go with Monitor Audio BR6 after many auditions...just love them...listening to all my old CD's again and love the feelings I'm getting:). Also bought the Harmon Kardon HK3490 amp with it...really nice.

Now the next dilemma...

I already have a Pioneer stand alone CD player that i'm quite happy with however it does not play MP3. Is there a good CD player that plays MP3, AAC, FLAC etc (I know to find FLAC might be difficult)? Budget is upto 20K with whatever best DAC I can get.

Any other suggestions welcome...

Thanks...

Congrats on your purchase, So eventually what did you buy to play flac files?

I am considering WD Live TV hub, Its a one box solution from CD/DVD hassles. Just buy the songs online and plays almost any formats.

Thanks everyone...decided to go with Monitor Audio BR6 after many auditions...just love them...listening to all my old CD's again and love the feelings I'm getting:). Also bought the Harmon Kardon HK3490 amp with it...really nice.

Now the next dilemma...

I already have a Pioneer stand alone CD player that i'm quite happy with however it does not play MP3. Is there a good CD player that plays MP3, AAC, FLAC etc (I know to find FLAC might be difficult)? Budget is upto 20K with whatever best DAC I can get.

Any other suggestions welcome...

Thanks...

If you have your most music collection in digital format so why don't you buy a standalone DAC. In any stereo set-up, DAC or CDP is the must to bring a smile on your face.

At this budget you can buy:

CDP: Marantz CD6003
DAC: Cambridge Audio DACMagic(Very Detailed) or Musical fidelity V-DAC(Warm with marvelous vocals presentation) or Arcam rDAC(I think this DAC is on the sale by avidyarthy). You can PM him to get the further details.

Thank you.

Hey,

My last post on this thread was last year and since then i have made few upgrades and completed my system for now...thanks!

Source 1 - Pioneer PDD9 MK2 (used mostly for SACD's and MP3's and runs into the DAC of "Source 2")...will be looking at selling though in the near future as I mostly use the SB
Source 2 - Cambridge Audio 740C
Source 3 - Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Runs into the DAC of the 740C)
Amplification - Cambridge Audio 840A V2
Speakers - Monitor Audio RX6

What is the difference if the flac/MP3 is played from:

PC/Media player/CD player > AV Receiver > speaker

PC/Media player/CD player> DAC > AV Receiver > speaker

Is it marginal or Significant?

Thanks in Advance. :)

I was a bit skeptical about what an external DAC could do if I was streaming from my PC to the Squeezebox. Quite frankly, I felt a good difference in the overall sound when i started using the DAC of the 740C with my SB Touch...it was smoother and sound stage and imaging were better for both FLAC and MP3. Even the 128 Kbps internet radio stations sounded better with a lesser level of harshness.

Now coming to your question about if the difference was marginal or significant. Well let me put it this way...I could have lived without using an external DAC as the sound from the SB Touch is fairly good. It will all depend on what you have and what you are upgrading to!!

If anybody says Polk Audio RTiA7 is for movies, then I am 100% sure he never auditioned it or at least never heard Polk Audio RTiA7 & Denon Combo. I heard this pair at PRO-FX. I personally own Polk Audio RTiA7 & NAD 356BEE. Now I am trying to sell my NAD 356Bee to get a Denon for making a perfect combo. The Polk Audio RTiA7 is power hungry speaker if u want best out of it. My suggestion is if u want to drive Polk Audio RTiA7 then either go for NAD 37X series Amp or Denon with at least 80 wpc@8 ohms.

Thread is from like a million years ago bro :p

But on that note I've heard the a7 and a denon combo and quite honestly....it's not that great value for money. In fact it's really poor value for money.
Personally, I would not even consider it for home theater at 50k, let alone for quality music. However this is just my perspective on it. If you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back