Polk PSW505 vs PSW125

fedexp

I am considering both for my HT setup (have to source other components yet - most likely it would be Polk CS for center, polk monitor series fronts and owm3 surrounds paired with an onkyo nr609 in a 7.1 config)

Now, PSW505 is a retired sub, but it has been going on great on all deals - used to sell for 400$ and now it is selling for 200+, while PSW125 is going about at 250$. I can see some recent posts where people have mentioned that they have ordered PSW505 from shopyourworld.com - It seems like a good idea to make hay when the discounts are on. The specs are as follows:

PSW505:
Rated to 300 watts of continuous power (460W peak), one magnetically shielded 12-inch long-throw woofer, Overall Frequency Response: 23Hz - 160Hz
PSW125:
single 12-inch subwoofer with compression circuitry to limit distortion, quipped with one 12-inch dynamic balance composite woofer driver, Frequency Response: 32Hz - 225Hz, Peak power handling: 300 watts (150 watts continuous)

Being a newbie, I don't understand most of the jargon, but to me it seems like PSW505 has more power - which sounds like a good bet. However, I am worried that given my apartment (the fact that it will be sitting on the topfloor, in a 13x22x10 living room and the woofer's reputation of going lower into 20-30Hz spectrum, irritating neighbors), PSW505 will be a pain in the rear experience, from ownership perspective.
Having said that, I don't know if PSW125 with its dynamic woofer driver is a more technically advanced version of PSW505.

I'll leave it to you experts to throw some light here. I'd appreciate your response in helping me make a choice.

Last edited:
Specs wise PSW505 is better. The best way is to audition. You can also consider Velodyne impact subs which seems to have good ratings globally and from our forum members also. So my view is you can go for Velodyne or HSU subs...

Thanks

I have been using PSW125 and its a good sub for the price, i have no complaints so far with it and the price i paid.If you have the budget you can go for higher end models.

i paid around 15.5 K couple of years back, dunno how the current prices are trending. At that time SW150 and PSW125 were the two best products in the price range i had. SW150 is a bit on a higher side slightly expensive but gives bang for the buck.

i paid around 15.5 K couple of years back, dunno how the current prices are trending. At that time SW150 and PSW125 were the two best products in the price range i had. SW150 is a bit on a higher side slightly expensive but gives bang for the buck.

thanks bro. 15.5 sounds like a great deal - where did you buy it? Bangalore?
I was given a quote for 18k.

Hello Guys.

I am planning to purchase Polk audio Subwoofer for my Music System
(Onkyo TX-8050 & Yamaha NS-F160 Towers).

It seems PSW505 is Disco model and PSW125 is active. Please suggest which one is the best pick and it is entirely for MUSIC not for movies.

Where can I buy (at a discounted rate) for PSW505 or PSW125.

I am from Kerala.

Appreciate all for your quick response.

Thank you

Anil

Attachments

• PSW505.jpg
    PSW505.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 118
  • PSW125.jpg
    PSW125.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 117
I am considering both for my HT setup (have to source other components yet - most likely it would be Polk CS for center, polk monitor series fronts and owm3 surrounds paired with an onkyo nr609 in a 7.1 config)

Now, PSW505 is a retired sub, but it has been going on great on all deals - used to sell for 400$ and now it is selling for 200+, while PSW125 is going about at 250$. I can see some recent posts where people have mentioned that they have ordered PSW505 from shopyourworld.com - It seems like a good idea to make hay when the discounts are on. The specs are as follows:

PSW505:
Rated to 300 watts of continuous power (460W peak), one magnetically shielded 12-inch long-throw woofer, Overall Frequency Response: 23Hz - 160Hz
PSW125:
single 12-inch subwoofer with compression circuitry to limit distortion, quipped with one 12-inch dynamic balance composite woofer driver, Frequency Response: 32Hz - 225Hz, Peak power handling: 300 watts (150 watts continuous)

Being a newbie, I don't understand most of the jargon, but to me it seems like PSW505 has more power - which sounds like a good bet. However, I am worried that given my apartment (the fact that it will be sitting on the topfloor, in a 13x22x10 living room and the woofer's reputation of going lower into 20-30Hz spectrum, irritating neighbors), PSW505 will be a pain in the rear experience, from ownership perspective.
Having said that, I don't know if PSW125 with its dynamic woofer driver is a more technically advanced version of PSW505.

I'll leave it to you experts to throw some light here. I'd appreciate your response in helping me make a choice.

Im having PSW505 and has been using for the last 2 years. The hall size is 22x14x10....almost the same as yours. My receiver is Denon. I have used carpets and isolation under the woofer and the sound is awesome for movies and audio listening too. You have to fine tune the woofer to get the best sound. I get real punch when watching movies.

Hi

There are many other subs which can perform well and may be within reach of your budget....lower the sub operating frequency better it is ......

12 inch or 10 inch matters.....

Home theater subwoofers buying guide

Of course end of the day, trust your ears and decide which one works best for you....just because you have a powerful sub does not mean you need to crank it high....you can enjoy a better experience of the same at low levels without killing the neighbours

I had to recheck the specs but it seems the 505 has a better frequency response and enclosure than 125. Just based on these it would be a better deal than the 125. IOW a win - win situation

Thank You Efernand.

Please suggest S/woofers of 12" size and with good performance other than Polk audio which can be bought in India. Looks not matter when performance is on high pitch.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Anil

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back