Polk rti a7 speakers for onkyo rt 390 ( 3400) avr???

sashi21

Hi all
I am using onkyo 3400 system as of now , i am looking to gradually upgrade to much better system but step wise .. I want to buy 2 front speakers as of now like polk a7 and connect them to the onkyo avr and probably buy new avr in3 months ( denon avx2000 or marantz 5006) and then later go for remaining setup.. My question is will the a7 work with current onkyo avr . I plan to connect it to speaker b option ( 2.0 setup ) and play in my bedroom . I will listen to music only . I understand the avr might not do justice to a7 probably juice them 70% but i am building for future. Also i am planning to buy audioengine a5+ for bedroom . Which one should i opt for. Your guidance will be highly apprecited

If you have heard it and liked it, then my suggestion is to go for Polk RTiA7. Your AVR can drive it pretty comfortably but as you have clearly understood, you may not be able to get enough juice out of the floorstanders. However you can always get an integrated amp later or upgrade your AVR. I would say you are going in the right direction.

Well. Polk rti a7s are very subtle. The best speakers in my opinion.
But they give their best when paired with high power amps.
It should be atleast 110w rms to each.
Even a 100w per channel might not do complete justice to them in my opinion.
Anyways , good choice of speakers. I think they will do good even with your current AVR.

Well. Polk rti a7s are very subtle. The best speakers in my opinion.
But they give their best when paired with high power amps.
It should be atleast 110w rms to each.
Even a 100w per channel might not do complete justice to them in my opinion.
Anyways , good choice of speakers. I think they will do good even with your current AVR.

I agree with Dirac, Polk Rti A7 is well balanced speaker and it is kind of transparent as well in the sense it represents the sound signature of Amp and cables I switched ever. But it need adequate power to properly open up. I own them over 3 years and paired them with various Inte-Amp like Emotiva, Nad, Denon, Music Hall. I think 125wpc is proper fits for it in general sense. NAD 356 was good but lacked in power. NAD 375 would had been better choice to pair with. Music Hall A70.2 paired also very well with very good details. Many of my friends suggest me to get an audiophile speaker as they think Polk do not belongs to that class, but I find it very hard to agree with them when Rti A7 is on my side, also do not have clear idea which speaker can replace them very comfortably even at double of it's price. Certainly it is not very best and also not without any weakness, but I like their balanced sweet sound. The low side of the spectrum is so tight, punchy and defined, I never heard them distorted at a quite high volume. The High side of the spectrum is so sweet and just below the bright red line, of course it depends on the amp as well. The mid or vocal is also clear but not emphasized, could have been better. Actually whole spectrum is kind of neutral like a plain with Rti A7

P.S. Emotiva I used was not integrated amp, it was power amp. I used it pairing with preamp.

Last edited:
I agree with Dirac, Polk Rti A7 is well balanced speaker and it is kind of transparent as well in the sense it represents the sound signature of Amp and cables I switched ever. But it need adequate power to properly open up. I own them over 3 years and paired them with various Inte-Amp like Emotiva, Nad, Denon, Music Hall. I think 125wpc is proper fits for it in general sense. NAD 356 was good but lacked in power. NAD 375 would had been better choice to pair with. Music Hall A70.2 paired also very well with very good details. Many of my friends suggest me to get an audiophile speaker as they think Polk do not belongs to that class, but I find it very hard to agree with them when Rti A7 is on my side, also do not have clear idea which speaker can replace them very comfortably even at double of it's price. Certainly it is not very best and also not without any weakness, but I like their balanced sweet sound. The low side of the spectrum is so tight, punchy and defined, I never heard them distorted at a quite high volume. The High side of the spectrum is so sweet and just below the bright red line, of course it depends on the amp as well. The mid or vocal is also clear but not emphasized, could have been better. Actually whole spectrum is kind of neutral like a plain with Rti A7

Rtia7 nicely dissected...

Hi all
I am using onkyo 3400 system as of now , i am looking to gradually upgrade to much better system but step wise .. I want to buy 2 front speakers as of now like polk a7 and connect them to the onkyo avr and probably buy new avr in3 months ( denon avx2000 or marantz 5006) and then later go for remaining setup.. My question is will the a7 work with current onkyo avr . I plan to connect it to speaker b option ( 2.0 setup ) and play in my bedroom . I will listen to music only . I understand the avr might not do justice to a7 probably juice them 70% but i am building for future. Also i am planning to buy audioengine a5+ for bedroom . Which one should i opt for. Your guidance will be highly apprecited

Even if your bedroom is more than 100 Sqft, Polk RTi A7 will be an overkill... If you like polk speakers, settle with PolK RTi A3/A5 BS speakers or even TSi/x series .... Your AVR can do much better job driving the BS than FS....

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back