POLL: Battery life on laptops.

How long has your battery lasted before it went dead or degraded significantly (50%)

• Lasted Less than a year

• Lasted Less than 2 years

• Went bad after 2 years

• Going good even after 2 years

• Went bad after 3 years

• Going good even after 3 years

Results are only viewable after voting.

delhite2

I have an ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo and the battery has gone dead, I mean absolutely dead in less than 2 years.

Thing is, I have the extended warranty but that does not cover battery degradation. Although I argued that this is not degradation but complete failure, ASUS simply refuses to acknowledge it.
My friend has a ASUS Zephyrus Duo with RTX 2080, and his battery life has reduced from 5 hours to less than one hour in past one month, his laptop is 15 months old. Comparatively a Dell G7 in the house, has a solid battery life even after 3 years, similarly iphone 7 purchased at launch has had its battery changed just last week only. Plus I never needed to change/replace battery on any Samsung, HP, Apple, Huawei products owned within the last decade or so.

So is it that ASUS batteries are like that only? Or is it that, i have had a bad luck and so has my friend.

Last edited:
My old Asus laptop battery lasted for all of 4 years. My wife's Asus laptop battery lasted for 3.5 years. If the battery did not degrade gradually and went kaput one day then technically Asus should cover it but it will difficult to prove that it's not degradation but failure and for them to accept the failure.

My old Asus laptop battery lasted for all of 4 years. My wife's Asus laptop battery lasted for 3.5 years. If the battery did not degrade gradually and went kaput one day then technically Asus should cover it but it will difficult to prove that it's not degradation but failure and for them to accept the failure.
It degraded and went kaput all within a span of 2 days. From 3-4 hours to 30-60 minutes to dot zero, now it won't charge above 0%.

My laptop batteries usually last > 3 years. macbooks last a lot more than windows.

The process I always follow is either its plugged in all the time or else start charging it at around 20% and take it off charging before 95%.

Last edited:
I use a Dell xps (9570) more than 2 years now and battery is still going strong, i almost always use it plugged in, usage is also not much, may be 15-20 hours a week

In case of Dell laptops where parts warranty is usually free for the 1st year and paid there on, warranty on the battery is only 6 months. I think life of a laptop battery depends on a number of operating factors, a lot of them that are not controlled by the manufacture, such a environmental factors. Hence manufacturers do not provide a longish warranty.

And also I think laptop batteries are treated as consumables they cost less than $100 anyways.

In case of Dell laptops where parts warranty is usually free for the 1st year and paid there on, warranty on the battery is only 6 months. I think life of a laptop battery depends on a number of operating factors, a lot of them that are not controlled by the manufacture, such a environmental factors. Hence manufacturers do not provide a longish warranty.

And also I think laptop batteries are treated as consumables they cost less than $100 anyways.
Yes, they are treated as consumables, and its not about the money. but it's really disappointing to see it fail altogether, not just degrade and that too within just 2 years and moreover it's a laptop costing upwards of 2 lakh.

Every component is affected by multiple factors.
What I am trying to ascertain is that is this one of a chance, or is the ASUS batteries somewhat low in quality.

Additionally, I use the MYASUS application, and it still reports the battery is okay, almost as if the app is rigged, have taken this up with them too but they simply again say it's how it works,and its NORMAL.

My laptop batteries usually last > 3 years. macbooks last a lot more than windows.

The process I always follow is either its plugged in all the time or else start charging it at around 20% and take it off charging before 95%.
Best advice.The charging 20 to 90 is the key. I am onto my second battery for the dell laptop and of all midfy sources , battery operated laptop ( with charging cable disconneted) with all the frequently listened music stored in the c drive and audirvana and j river with no upsampling or upsampling as per the taste, and tidal (audirvana) streaming is still my regular digital source.
Of course the tidal audirvana monthly payout is a pain.

Most of My Laptop Batteries Lasted More than 3 Years , Current MacBook Pro(Mid 2012) is Going strong with 6hrs Plus battery Life for more than 6 years now. Dell XPS and Asus are going fine more than 3 Years. I remember having an issue with short battery life of Toshiba (Now Rebranded as Dynabook) Laptop a decade ago.

I have around 6 laptops spread within 3 members of the family. The oldest one purchased in 2006 is a Core2Duo.
4 are Dell and 2 are HP.
The battery longivity of older laptops are better than newer ones. This is for batteries that came with the lappies.
But I also noticed that the replacement batteries last even lesser.

By the way, I use 3 lappies in which I have not replaced the dead batteries and use them only on power as my type of work does not need only battery power options.
I have inverter in both office n home to take care of power outage.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back