Popcorn hour A-410 - Short Review

Vijay_s

I have received my Cloud Media Popcornhour A-410 on friday and here are my initial impressions of the device.

Hardware Specifications

Chipset: Sigma SMP8911 Dual-Core 800Mhz with 512KB L2
Memory: 1024MB DDR2, 256MB SLC NAND Flash
Audio/Video: HDMI, Component, CVBS, Stereo Audio, S/PDIF, Digital Optical
Other Interface: Power LED and Standby LED, 2x USB 2.0 Host, 1 x USB 3.0 Slave, 1 x eSATA, quick dock mounting for 2.5" or 3.5" SATA HDD, Infra-Red Remote Control, SD card reader, IR-Receiver Port
Network: Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps
Casing: Casing designed by Silverstone aluminum Case, fanless Operation

More.....

2 Channel Audio: ESS technology ES9023P Sabre 24/192
112dB DNR

Storage

There are no HDD bundled along with device. A disk bay provided and installation is easier than thought. Just place the SDD on disk-bay, tighten provided screws and lock it after pushing inside. HDD manager application detect the disk and format it. I bought a 1TB disk it took almost 5 minutes to get the disk ready.

User Interface

Good:
I wont say the user interface design is outstanding among the class but it is quite responsive in comparison to other media players I used before. In comparison to WD LIvehub A-410 is almost 10 time faster, may be because of duel core processor and 1 GB RAM.

Albums are listed similar to PS3 X navigation with thumbnails, there are different sort options. Major categories are Movies, music and Photos. If you have a well defined tagging for your music collection searching and playing album or songs takes only few seconds( I got only 8K songs in music category). There are options to sort songs based on genre, album, Year, songs, playlist etc. For my 8k songs library rearraging entire list took less than 5-10 seconds.
Verdict: Quite satisfied with the response time as I have not experienced any abnormal lag during navigation.

Bad:
In NMJ media player those menus are not intutive like apple or xmbc player.

Movie

Good:
I have less than 50 movies ripped to my HDD only few have 4 GB size with Dolby digital. May try ripping few more movies in coming weekends from my DVD collection. No BD rips are in my collection as I do not have a device to to rip my BD collection, so unable to provide a details on BD playing quality.

DVD rips are played exactly as it played from a DVD player. Here too no lag on browsing through the collection or playing. VXP processing is found usefulfor the movies with high contrast raito.

Bad:
NMJ software can get subtitle from net but it is useles for all practical purpose, In addition size of the subtitle is annoyingly big.

Verdict: Time to look beyond those DVD Players and get a popcorn.

Music

As per the specification 2 Channnel Audio:
ESS technology ES9023P Sabre 24/192
112dB DNR

Good:
I have played my regular tracks that I am familier with and found music quality is exceptionally good for the price I paid. It is not as defined as a standalone DAC, I would rate the the built in DAC above squeezebox touch and equal to Cambridge Audio DACMagic. It is more an attacking than more refined Micromega Mydac.

Bad:
There is a slight distortion observed on high frequency instruments, this is not immediately noticeable but if you sit closer to speaker you may notice it. This may be a NMJ software bug as I could observe same on HDMI-out as well.

Still could not make out how albums are organised. Songs from same album listed as more than one album. Cloud media needs to add more features to make it usable for Audiophiles.

Verdict: If you use Popcorn hour A-410 for music playback, then you may only look for a DAC above $350, nothing less will be satisfying.

Remote control Remote control is fully back-lit with white LEDs. So you dont need to switch on the light to operate it. NMJ controller for iPAD and Android are really good but I could not add/remove songs to playlists using it. This software is absolutely free, but not available for iPhone and Android below version 3.

TCO: 21300 (Including $70 shipping charges) + 3800 (duty paid) + 4600 (1TB HDD) = 29700/-

Note: This review is based on almost 3 days listening, opinion may change after extended usage

Last edited:
This weekend ripped around 25 DVDs in ISO format and added to popcorn-hour library. Playing ISO from porcorn-hour is faster than playing it from my DVD player. Playback quality is exactly same as DVD player. Now I am wondering whether to keep my DVD player anymore? ;)

Coming to audio, After a week of listening I still have same opinion on the ESS Sabre DAC for two channel music playback.

I didnt see any mention of the remote.In my opinion the PCH remote is far superior to the small flimsy ones like you get with the WD Live media player.

I didnt see any mention of the remote.In my opinion the PCH remote is far superior to the small flimsy ones like you get with the WD Live media player.

Definitely Popcorn-hour remote is better, Here are some pictures of device and remote..

Clean front View

l82k.jpg

Side view - Hard disk bay, SD Card & USB slot

p03s.jpg

Rear view

3wa3.jpg

Remote

fv9w.jpg

id3x.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely Popcorn-hour remote is better, Here are some pictures of device and remote..

Vijay,

Couple of quick queries.

Since I have just one AVR how do I organize the audio out from the PCH ?

I see in the image you have the following connections
- HDMI
- Coaxial/Optical
- RCA

Does it have a configuration that lets you specify the audio output to use for each media type?

Eg: Video use Coaxial, Audio use RCA etc.. ?

Also if I dont have a high end Amp + Speakers to go , will routing all the audio out through HDMI make any big difference vs using the DAC ?

Ps: My amp almost an entry level - Denon 1713.

Another point , have you tried HD 3D ? can it handle smooth processing without any stuttering?

Last edited:
Typically the HDMI input will handle both 2 and 5 channel content, so your AVR will play both through your speakers. You can also connect the PCH to your DAC using optical out if you choose. The PCH also should allow you to use RCAs for 2 channel, if you dont want to use optical.

Trust this helps.

Vijay,

Couple of quick queries.

Since I have just one AVR how do I organize the audio out from the PCH ?

I see in the image you have the following connections
- HDMI
- Coaxial/Optical
- RCA

Does it have a configuration that lets you specify the audio output to use for each media type?

Eg: Video use Coaxial, Audio use RCA etc.. ?

Also if I dont have a high end Amp + Speakers to go , will routing all the audio out through HDMI make any big difference vs using the DAC ?

Ps: My amp almost an entry level - Denon 1713.

Another point , have you tried HD 3D ? can it handle smooth processing without any stuttering?

Audio signals are available through existing outputs all time except HDMI where you can set the audio off in case you do not want HDMI to carry audio signal.

Following type of audio tracks in Movie can set downmix or pass through. In case you do not have a high end AVR opt for downmix.

PCM - Downmix or Passthrough
AAC - Downmix or Passthrough
WMA Pro - Downmix or Passthrough
DTS - Downmix or Passthrough

All other formats including DTS HD and Dolby True HD are not decoded by popcorhour you need AVR to decode it.

All music formats without DRM are decoded by A-410. For a change I prefer to switch between myDAC and internal DAC .

I do not have a 3D TV so not tried 3D features.

Comparison pop c300 with latest firm ware upgrade. With Pop A410.

C300: Bdp is there, sturdy, so many usb inputs. Aerial remote.

Audio slow in reading, slow in exit also. Struggle to read all formats. Audio is very normal. Because of low Ram.

Video is superb in quality better than 410 even menu and subtitles chapters are all available.

A410: No Bdp. Small in size. less usb input infra red remote.

Audio fast in reading and exit also fast. REad all formats flawlessly. Audio is better than 300. But not like dedicated Dac. Remote visible in night also.

Video performance is somewhat less than 300 even though it is said it has separate video chip. menu subtittles chapters???

Both can read my 3 tb

Last edited:
Does it pass through Dolby TrueHD? The specification page mentions audio passthrough only as DTS HDMA and dolby passthrough is not mentioned anywhere.

hey guys, I am interested in this player but have few questions pls:

1) I have himedia hd900B, will this be a good upgrade ?
2) where to buy this online in india ? and how much will it cost

As I have moved to new place and due to slight change in my nature of Job I am not getting enough time to enjoy this. Most of the time I used this for music playback rather than Movie.

In addition I got a beautiful & amazing music streamer

So thinking of selling it rather than keeping it Idle.

Any suggestions welcome.

Hi Vijay, Just joined recently and read your post. Hope you are still enjoying the popcorn. I have a huge collection of FLAC audio which is unfortunately scattered over many hard disks and USB pen drives. I am planning to centralize all these files. Thinking about a NAS. Coming back to this - I am currently playing back FLAC from my laptop which is connected to my amplifier which has an inbuilt DAC module. Connected with USB cable. Now the problem is my laptop is always wired to the amp.

What I hope to achieve is having a device with an inbuilt HDD bay and directly hooked up to the amp via USB or TOSLINK (my DAC has an optical input as well).

This setup is basically an additional piece of hardware connected to the amp which I am able to achieve with my laptop as well.

On my laptop I use Jriver / Foobar which gives me a GUI.

Will this give me a GUI when connected to a TV or is there an android app - so I do not need to switch on the TV.

How best can the ethernet port and the wifi oprion be utilized. can I playback media wire lessly through home network

I hope I am able to convey what I am getting at. It will be quite evident that my technical understanding is very questionable - hence hoping to get your input since you have been using such devices.

To sum it - my basic requirement is playing FLAC. Need a GUI on android (no need for laptop / connecting to TV). Wireless playback without loss of quality / HDD /USB ports to connect internal / external disks.

Its currently around 30k in India. Similar product Dune. But for this price why I should not consider a proper Network player (Marantz / cambridge Audio)??

Hoping to hear from you soon. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,
Im using PCH410 since jan.2014. Im also having wdtv live hub. The PCH410 is far more better, fast and advanced than wdtv.
I dont have 3d tv but i have tried it on 3d tv as well. It gives a good colour representation with 3d.
I have hooked it with emotiva usp1 preamp and marantz 7025power amp for listening to music. I have all my music collection in flac and wav. I donot have a dedicated dac. Im using builtin dac of the pch410. It gives me a good sound signature and noticable difference in instrument seperation. The built in dac is good enough to satisfy my ears. But soon i will be going for dedicated dac in my upgradation journey. In short, im quite satisfied with pch both for music and movies in one small box.
Forgot to mention here, pch is a good streamer and can convert itself into samba server thus acting as a NAS with fast browsing even wirelessly.
@Mayank- you can consider PCH in place of any good media player. It wont diappoint you. But for serious audiophiling a dedicated dac is recommended. Coz to some people sabre might feel bright in sound signature. cambridge dacmagic is little on warmer side as compare to sabre. (Especially on the higher frequencies)
So....IMO, you can think for marantz 610 or cambridge audio stream magic 6 if you want to go only for music streaming which will cost you 55k+
But if you are looking for an integrated solution, PCH 410 is really good option.

Last edited:
Where can I buy PCH-410 in india.

I have a PCH-400 and very satisfied with it performance so far. I recently bought Zidoo X6 pro as it had airplay and AC wifi connectivity. Still exploring this gadget but happy with the performance so far

Can somebody Help?
Im palying audio files in mp3 and flac on PCH 410
I can view the info of the audio file like size, date, artist, album, genre etc, but cant view the bit rate info anywhere.
Can anyone know how to view bit rate of audio files in PCH A410?
Pls help.

Thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back