Positioning of rear Surround Speakers

neeraj.panday

Gurus,

Though i am yet to buy a custom 5.1 Home Theatre system (within a budget of 70K), my choice will also be driven by the fact that "how to position my rear Surround Speakers". :eek:

I have open corridor space behind my seating sofa so if i need to hook up the bookshelve rear Surround Speakers, it will need to be a good 7-8 feet behind seating location (on the wall). Not sure if this will be a good idea. :sad:

I have been told by dealer that i can hook up Jamo A102 rear surround speaker on the roof ceiling slightly behind top of my seating location. Is this a good practice to hook up surround speakers on the top (instead right behind the seating position)? :rolleyes:

If yes --> what are the speakers that i should go for?
If No --> What are the other options i have?

Please help, i look forwward to your expert advices!!!

Many Thanks,
Neeraj.

You can also place the rear speakers on either side of your seating position to face your ears. This gives much better surround effects than placing the speakers on the back of the listening position.

You can also place the rear speakers on either side of your seating position to face your ears. This gives much better surround effects than placing the speakers on the back of the listening position.
Thanx, but what about placing the rear surround speakers on the ceilingtop, is it considered among best practice? I remember the demo i heard in the shop had the similar positioning of rear speakers... :-?

That I'm not sure. May be that will work and you may need to angle it towards your listening position.
With Audessey EQ auto setup, you can easily set the audio delay and audio gain of rear speakers so there won't be much problem with this kind of setup.

That I'm not sure. May be that will work and you may need to angle it towards your listening position.
With Audessey EQ auto setup, you can easily set the audio delay and audio gain of rear speakers so there won't be much problem with this kind of setup.
Cool thanks,

Just to ensure i understand your statement "Audessey EQ auto setup, you can easily set the audio delay and audio gain of rear speakers so there won't be much problem with this kind of setup", can you please elaborate a bit. Sorry, very new in HT setup and still in a learning curve.. :)

Thanks Once again.

Audessey MultEQ is a room correction algorithm that monitors the audio and adjusts it on the fly to suite your listening environment. It is always good to have an AVR with auto setup. This comes with a setup mic using which you can calibrate the AVR easily. You place the mic at your listening position and the AVR will send test tones and measure the distance of each speaker from your listening position as well as other room characterestics. After repeating this test a few number of times, it saves the result and you can remove the mic. Basically audessey will calibrate the audio strength or gain of each speaker, audio delay and audio frequency to suit your room. For example if your listening position is far away from the fronts and closer to the rears, the autosetup will increase the volume (gain) of the fronts and decrease the gain of the backs. It will also adjust the audio delay so that sound from the speakers reach you at the correct time. Some AVRs have audessey, but without the auto setup mic and you will need to manually adjust the parameters.

Neeraj,

Its perfectly alright to have the surround speakers mounted higher on the walls, tilting down towards the listener. Those need not be on the stands etc. Look in the movie theaters, these are mounted on the walls there.

Also, because your rear wall is so far behind, you may want to put the surround speakers on your side, or go with a 7.1 layout with Side and Rear surround speakers. You have a huge space behind you which will be acoustically empty. Having rear surround speakers will give you the complete 360 degrees sound envelopment.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back