• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Power Amplifier for PSB Synchrony One Floorstanders

Wharfedale EVO4.4

anirudhchandrashekar

Hello all, as always I am on the constant lookout through the classifieds section of HFV for a powerful amp to show up for sale.

No matter what amp I throw at my PSBs (300w at 4 ohms, occasional dip to 2 ohms) it feels like craves for more power. The only set of amps which could power it and give it good headroom were the Crowns XLS series amp and the Outlaw Audio amps.

I have been looking out for a NAD class AB amp because I have never tried this with the PSBs (PSB and NAD are sister companies)

I had auditioned the speaker with NAD Masters Class D amps however and it sounded good. If anyone is parting with any NAD power amps or the high powered amps(C275, C375BEE etc..) I would love to give it a try or anything which sounds a little warm too.

Edit: I have tried the Aksa amps and I love the sound. If anyone is parting with the high powered Aksa/Aspen amps, I would be considering that too!

P.S: The PSBs are very detailed sounding and that aspect is stunning! But I tend to listen at higher volumes for quite some time so I would prefer something warm sounding as well. I would appreciate if I could audition a couple of amps with my setup as well.

As always, it's been amazing to be a part of this forum.

Wishing you all a happy new year, cheers!

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  5. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  6. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  7. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  8. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  9. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

niftianmadhur

I had an old NAD V716, which is an AV receiver but it is known for it's two channel capabilities and highly regarded. And though it is not rated very high in terms of power, it is very powerful indeed. If u want, u can give it a try. U will be surprised. I am in JP nagar, Bangalore.

anirudhchandrashekar

I had an old NAD V716, which is an AV receiver but it is known for it's two channel capabilities and highly regarded. And though it is not rated very high in terms of power, it is very powerful indeed. If u want, u can give it a try. U will be surprised. I am in JP nagar, Bangalore.
I stay close by in Padmanabhanagar. Please share your contact details on DM, I will get in touch with you.

Appreciate the help :)

manniraj

Contact Hugh and get his amplifier boards (he makes fully built boards), you just need a good case with a powerful transformer and good quality CRC PSU boards. At the fraction of the commercial amps you get the wattage you want as you liked the Aksa amps.

newlash09

Hi anirudh :)

I don't have a nad to offer. But since you were looking for a sweet sounding amp. Thought I'd mention my krell ksa100 mk2. It is a pure class A 100 watter at 8 ohms. An original Dan D agostino design. Will keep doubling its power as impedence drops. 100w x 8 ohms, 200 x 4 ohms, 400 x 2 ohms, right into 800w x 1 ohm, should your speakers dip so low down.

Currently abroad , but will be back in hyderabd by may end...just can always drive down and take it for a spin. And see how it matches your PSB's.

I've loved this amp more than anything else I've heard. But the problem is that my room wiring is in wall and rated at 13A. 4 tube mono blocks and one huge class A amp is way too much power draw for the wiring. Hence Iam thinking of passing on the krell, not because I've found something else superior sounding.

Also the best bass slam I've ever heard is from the krell. Just giving you a heads up, before I post it on the forum once Iam back in mid may.

newlash09

@newlash09 It'd be my pleasure to check it out. Please do keep me posted on the same. Let me DM you my contact details.

Thanks so much for the response!
Most welcome Anirudh :)

I should be back by may end all going well. Will ping your goodselves once Iam back. You can take the amp and give it a spin, with absolutely no compulsion to buy. Not necessary that you will like it...And even lovely individual components can't guarantee good sound when paired together. Synergy is Some thing that can never be guessed in advance :)