Power amplifier produces different volume levels

Love4sound

Dear FM’s

I recently acquired a 5 channel PA from a forum member. I noticed two issues. First is in one channel alone I get a pop up sound while powering up the amp. Second is when I start a dts-HD master content the volume is of the charts, it’s to loud and plays at clipping level so immediately If I pause and resume volume is normal.So if I pause and resume again the volume goes up.This doesn’t happen in dts x or Dolby contents. Kindly advise

Regards
Navin

First is in one channel alone I get a pop up sound while powering up the amp.

I too get a very feeble click sound when i switch on my Sonodyne power amp.. But there is a loud thud when i switch it off..

Second is when I start a dts-HD master content the volume is of the charts, it’s to loud and plays at clipping level so immediately If I pause and resume volume is normal.So if I pause and resume again the volume goes up.This doesn’t happen in dts x or Dolby contents. Kindly advise

It is weird.. What volume level on AVR do you usually play the movie?..

First is in one channel alone I get a pop up sound while powering up the amp.
Popup sound coming from speaker ? If yes that is something serious concern for certain cases(depends on how loud it is )DC current is passing thru speaker which is not good.

when I start a dts-HD master content the volume is of the charts, it’s to loud and plays at clipping level so immediately If I pause and resume volume is normal.So if I pause and resume again the volume goes up.This doesn’t happen in dts x or Dolby contents

Power amp does not sense it is DTS MA /Dolby/DTS X. Culprit could be your source or AVR pre out. As you are very much sure it is not coming with Dolby audio then I would suggest to check the source ( Player /AVR) may be your video/Audio clip

I too get a very feeble click sound when i switch on my Sonodyne power amp.. But there is a loud thud when i switch it off..
This is mostly cos of switching relay/ speaker protection circuit during power On

During power off loud thud sound comes from your trafo which is getting
de - energize ( mostly this will happen with Toroidal transformer) and design( cost effective design not sophisticated one)last but not least your power amp casing is thin.

Trust you are talking about mechanical sound and sound is not coming from speaker!!

Last edited:
This is mostly cos of switching relay/ speaker protection circuit during power On

During power off loud thud sound comes from your trafo which is getting de - energize ( mostly this will happen with Toroidal transformer) and design( cost effective design not sophisticated one)last but not least your power amp casing is thin.

Thanks for the info.. Got it..I hear that click on sound, when i switch it on.. Guess this is normal..

Trust you are talking about mechanical sound and sound is not coming from speaker!!

Mechanical sound when the device is manually sound on.. and that thud sound from speaker when i switch it off.. Have highlighted this to Sonodyne.. Of the two identical power amps. this is happening from only one power amp.. The speakers connected to other poweramp swtiches off normally without any thud..

It is weird.. What volume level on AVR do you usually play the movie?..
Movies I watch at -8db.
Popup sound coming from speaker ? If yes that is something serious concern for certain cases(depends on how loud it is )DC current is passing thru speaker which is not good.

Power amp does not sense it is DTS MA /Dolby/DTS X. Culprit could be your source or AVR pre out. As you are very much sure it is not coming with Dolby audio then I would suggest to check the source ( Player /AVR) may be your video/Audio clip
Yes the sound comes from the speaker. It’s a pop up sound when I power on the amp for the first time. If I turn it off and on it again the sound won’t come. So again if I turn it off for a long time and power it up the sound comes. When I play directly from the avr I don’t have the volume issue. Only confusing part is if issue is with pre-outs every other formats should also have the sudden burst in volume. It’s highly confusing

Guess this is normal..
Yes.

Yes the sound comes from the speaker. It’s a pop up sound when I power on the amp for the first time. If I turn it off and on it again the sound won’t come. So again if I turn it off for a long time and power it up the sound comes.

It is clearly indicating the capacitor charging and discharging symptoms .it means DC current flows thru the speaker. Conclusion is Dc protection circuit is not there /not functional here.

When I play directly from the avr I don’t have the volume issue. Only confusing part is if issue is with pre-outs every other formats should also have the sudden burst in volume. It’s highly confusing
Before jumping into a conclusion can you confirm ? Blu-ray player is your source playing those video files or some Blu-ray rip files ?If Blu-ray rip files what is the size and conversion bit rate?may be other FM can pin point

Yes.

It is clearly indicating the capacitor charging and discharging symptoms .it means DC current flows thru the speaker. Conclusion is Dc protection circuit is not there /not functional here.

Before jumping into a conclusion can you confirm ? Blu-ray player is your source playing those video files or some Blu-ray rip files ?If Blu-ray rip files what is the size and conversion bit rate?may be other FM can pin point
Not rip files. Actual blu ray contents in m2ts format played through hard disk in a blu Ray player and also streamed using plex on Nvidia shield. Seems like an very old amp and I also suspect capacitor charging and discharging symptoms

Could be few reasons. Recheck all connections to make sure they are clean and secure. Try to clean with cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. Try different interconnects. Swap left and right connections to see if the issue follows the channels.

If it’s still doing after all this, could be faulty board or IC or capacitors. How old is the amp by the way ?

Could be few reasons. Recheck all connections to make sure they are clean and secure. Try to clean with cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. Try different interconnects. Swap left and right connections to see if the issue follows the channels.

If it’s still doing after all this, could be faulty board or IC or capacitors. How old is the amp by the way ?
I tried all. The amp seems very old. Got it from a FM

Have it checked by an authorized place. If you feel you have been cheated and can prove it, and used PayPal or eBay, try to get your money back.

Have it checked by an authorized place. If you feel you have been cheated and can prove it, and used PayPal or eBay, try to get your money back.
Yeah planning to get one more avr and test with the PA. And I got this from a forum member who gave it to me for a week for testing and then only I made the purchase. I tested only Stereo, Dolby atmos and dts x for the entire week and purchased it with satisfaction. So no cheating.

Not rip files. Actual blu ray contents in m2ts format played through hard disk in a blu Ray player and also streamed using plex on Nvidia shield. Seems like an very old amp and I also suspect capacitor charging and discharging symptoms
Hi bro...is the DTS decoding done by your device or AVR. Have you tried passthrough option. I am not sure, if it would be available in your Bluray player but worth trying.

Also since you have shield, why not install Kodi. It works much better for home server for playing movies.

With regard to popup sound, please try to interchange the speakers connections on your amp. I mean if you are hearing popup in your front left, try interchanging it with any of the surround. Can try interchanging the RCA cables too.

Cheers.
Siju

Hi bro...is the DTS decoding done by your device or AVR. Have you tried passthrough option. I am not sure, if it would be available in your Bluray player but worth trying.

Also since you have shield, why not install Kodi. It works much better for home server for playing movies.

With regard to popup sound, please try to interchange the speakers connections on your amp. I mean if you are hearing popup in your front left, try interchanging it with any of the surround. Can try interchanging the RCA cables too.

Cheers.
Siju
Shield is set to pass through only. I tried plex and playing it from my Hard disk using a blu ray player as well. Pop sound is in one channel of the power amplifier alone. Decoding is by avr only.

Shield is set to pass through only. I tried plex and playing it from my Hard disk using a blu ray player as well. Pop sound is in one channel of the power amplifier alone. Decoding is by avr only.
Ok...
May I know which AVR and PA you have...thanks..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back