Power Cables and Distribution - SoundFoundations

magma

Our Foray into this has been on the cards for close to a year

After considerable amounts of trials and legwork i am now confident of offering a line of power distribution oriented products to fellow audiophiles that I am personally proud of.
We have tried to remain loyal to physics, trials, experience and lastly our own ears rather than falling prey to marketing and ambiguous claims.

We are hopeful of launching, first, a series of power cables followed by distribution boxes and lastly complete solutions with wall sockets and mains power cables.

We realized quickly, that the "power" game is very different from the "signal" game.

It is important to understand that the main criterion here is, supplying "clean" and efficient power to our electronics without having a smudging or clouding effect.

We as Indians face a two pronged problem
First - since we are a price sensitive market there is no Indian manufacturer that produces good quality IECs or plugs. Most use steel and zinc alloys that is rhodium plated and some use brass contact points( L&T Havells Northwest).There is no manufacturer that uses pure copper. Real Gold/Silver plating is only a dream.
(P.S This is the reason we were forced to use US plugs.)

The other issue we face is that of "dirty" power.
Most of our power mains come tapped from various stations, sub stations; fuse boxes etc having below par connectors with no RF EMI control.
This is a cause for concern
It is this dirty power that muddies the sound of a system

There is in fact NO power cable that can CLEAN that - however a good power cable will suppress that dirt and still be over engineered to deliver sufficient rated power.
Stray magnetic fields, emi, signal and loop pickups all need to be taken care of.

This is achieved by correct weaving of the copper conductors and using particular grain geometries.

A good power cable takes care of only the above and nothing else

If a manufacturer claims a power cable provides "stunning" improvements in the bass, highs, soundstage, depth imaging etc
- i personally believe that to be just marketing gimmicks

A power cable cannot have that effect

A good power cable however would be best described as a cable supplying cleanest power from your wall wart to your electronics
A power cable with the lowest noise floor, suppressing the "dirt" and providing the darkest background - in a way providing the cleanest slate on which an artist can paint his masterpiece

A good power cord not only uses good quality cable but also has equally good contact points and connectors
Many a time manufacturers and DIYers use good cable.However they kill everything by using below par connectors and contact points.

The Soundfoundations Barracuda PureLine 3 cable is one of the first cables in the world that uses lead shielding and hence boasts almost zero emi/rf interfernece
Lead is known to have the best emi rejection properties however International manufacturers are unable to use it since it is classified as a restricted item in most countries.

This allowed us a unique advantage.

The feedback and experience of our peers and clients has vastly helped us fine tune and narrow down on our cable, connector and treatment choices.
We are forever indebted to them for that

Warm Regards
Ali
(SoundFoundations)

Currently 2 power cables will be introduced each with a couple varaints

Both pics below

One being a reference grade cable - The Barracuda PureLine MK1 ( 3 variants)
The other being a more conservative offering - The XLS TrueLine ( currentlly only 1 variant)

Specs of each cable and their connectors will be up on Hifimart soon

the Baracuda features Pure Gold plated Furukawa sourced Copper connectors
One variant feature Cryo treatement and the other has lead sheilding.
Base cable is from the EU

The Trueline comes with Indian 5Amp plug and a taiwanese IEC
Base cable is Taiwanese Too - OFC 6N

Great going and wishing you all the best !
With USD/Eur going North, we need more options at home :)

Hey Shekar
Currently all my pieces off the first lot are out on demo
I should be getting a couple back over the weekend

You should try them

Tell me what you think

Great to know, Ali! I'd be very interested in a power distribution box when it is available. All the best with this new line.

We are hopeful of launching, first, a series of power cables followed by distribution boxes and lastly complete solutions with wall sockets and mains power cables.

Hi Ali,

First, great to have people like you here!

Any time frame on the distribution boxes, wall sockets and mains power cables? What do you actually mean by mains power cables? Main breaker to HT/HiFi, is it?

yes by main cables
i mean armoured 3 core cable from your breaker to your wall wart

european copper armoured
2.5mm2 into 3 cores
OFC virgin copper

Hey Ali - is it possible to get a demo cable for a weekend? Please mail me. There is no hurry. Can happen whenever there is a demo piece available.

Good news Ali....looking forward to the mains cables and hopefully I can find someone good to install it here in Bangalore. Regards.

Great work, Ali!
What price are these and would you (or anybody else in the forum) suggest if these can be a suitable upgrade in a mid end hifi setup like mine?

Hopefully, distribution boxes next?

Thanks

yep distribution boxs are next

i dont know what cable you currently use
Also i do not put myself on the spot by proclaiming anything about by cable

all i am sure of
is that the Barracuda is a good German shielded cable (probably using the highest gauge per core i.e 2.5mm square) with spectacular connectors - (one of the few that use a pure copper base with real 18k gold plating )
its double sheathed and The sheild is also a copper braid -( i think one of the only cables tht uses a copper sheild as compared to tin )

upgrade or not

only you can decide after you hear it

I am using stock power cables for all my equipment.
What I meant was, will it be cost effective to go for power cables such as yours? My AVR, CD player, pre and power amps are all in the range of 30-40K when new.

the arcam
would be better served with a good power cable

its a good piece of electronics

ill send you a demo cable ( when they get back )
see it , feel it , hear it
then decide

rgds
Ali

Thanks so much. But I'd like some time as my setup is not operational due to renovation work in the house. Will let you know when. Maybe in a month's time.

@BlackisBack
added and delivered : ....Srno 1 (Barracuda and Trueline )

@BLASTO
added .... Sr no.2

@ROC
Added.. - Srno 3

@jenson
Added ... Sr no.6

A client recently purchased the Barracuda to replace a cable he had bought on ebay.
it had cost him about 60$
So we took it apart (the ebay cable ) just for kicks to see whats inside
He was shocked

from the outside the cable was dressed well however in inside was a differnt story

the connectors that were advertised as copper
turned out to be brass
the gold plating was Zinc plating

the cable was worse
NO shelid
single PVC sheath

the copper content was dismally low - nothing that you would expect when you hold the cable
the manufacturer had cleverly used thick jackets to hide that fact

the copper strands were stiff incdicating that this was NOT OFC - as orfginally advertised

To all
When buying from an unknown source please be aware of all these facts
Ebay and chinese sellers DO misinterpret the facts -
their GAUGE definitions, OFC definitions and plating definitions are completely off the mark at times

The cable only looks good from the outside
The inside is a differnt story

Hello Ali,

Anything on the distribution boxes as yet? Hoping for that now that the racks are done.:)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back