Power Consumption and why I bought a mass HTIB rather than better component based / a

ManiJ

At the start, let me acknowledge that:
1) Component based systems comparitively sound much better
2) Component based systems allow you to spend countless hours matching components to your tastes and choosing exactly the shade of sound you want (thought I guess even that varies a little by mood/time/surroundings)
3) There are multiple HTiB options from reputed focussed/audiophile kind of brands like Onkyo / Denon and many many other reputed names, which friends on the forum suggest for almost every 'what should I buy' query.
4) Buying an amp/receiver gives flexibility - and lasts quite a few years through change cycles.

So was I crazy choosing a mass market product - the likes of the Sony/Samsung/Panasonic/LG?
Well, it didnt start quite that way...rather started with white boarding from my requirements.
1) I already had a component based (Denon 1309, Wharfedale speakers in 5.1 configuration) system in the living room. Not being able to use this much though as I have young ones/family at home who are not particularly fond of the loud sound and a few other related factors. I needed to have a sound system in my Study room / den. This is a very small room. Also something went wrong with the current system I had Genius SP-HF1800A (it refuses to power on). SO while being too lazy to search for a speaker repair place in Bangalore, I started looking at other options. The Genius speaker set, though only 50W, was quite good for me (decent musical quality, good bass) and already probably too powerful for the small room.
2) Low power consumption
3) Small enough to not look out of place in the small room
4) Should sound good
5) Have good product features
6) Good build quality
7) Good Reviews from other users

Looked through multiple options, both virtually and in stores. Too much eye (ear) candy nowadays all around. As well as many offers considering it is now the festive/discount season.

Power consumption became the major eliminator. Most of the component based ones had power consumption upwards of 400W and some 800W. Having overlooked this for my Plasma TV buy as well as for the other living room system, this time, I was feeling guilty enough to make this a prime criteria. Maybe it is the class D amps at play here, but the power consumption figures for the mass market products were comparitively very good (I think I saw options ranging from 75W to 135 W of power consumption). All comparitively much better than the higher component category - beter enough to eliminate that category completely for me. Not having to spend as much on power bills also helped.

Then started choosing from the available options (and there were many) - Sony / Samsung / Panasonic / LG / Edifier / F&D / Logitech / Creative / AudioEngine / Swan and did see quite a few others including Lenco, Sanyo!, Koryo!!
Also did my little bit of online research.

And impulsively chose the LG BH7220. The considerations were:
1) Connectivity options - has 2 HDMI IN ports in addition to the HDMI out ('HDMI in' option seems lacking in others, though I guess there may be some with this option available that I may have missed, considering the multitude of choices available).
2) Plays lot of formats - including FLAC, MKV, DIVX HD. Plays back also AVCHD, which is a bonus for me as some of my previous material is in AVCHD. Supports
3) Connectivity options - usual option of 'optical input in' available.
4) Plays 3D Blu Ray. Also supports BD Live / Java.
5) Upscaling to 1080p.
6) Plays most formats from USB disks upto 1 TB (hopefully a future firmware update allows playing from higher capacity disks too).
7) DAC
8) Headphone output/amp (to be confirmed).
9) Inbuilt wireless support (to be confirmed).
10) Supports Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio (Essential).
11) Support for Simplink, ARC, FM Radio, Wired and wireless networking support, Sound Effects Processor (with LG sound processing algorithms for sound effects like 3D Surround Sound), DLNA, compatiblity with iphone/pad, LG Smart TV functionality, Nero MediaHome software, gracenote
12) Small size speakers - that could be wall mounted, some flexibility for adjustments/positioning after wall mounting also available
13) As a new product, there were not too much reviews. Only reviews I could find were at Amazon Germany site from users who had bought/used the product. The reviews were all tracking positive (including 1 that got added yesterday, there are 11 reviews as of date. It is from the reviews that I understood there is a headphone output, though it is not listed in the support material).
14) LG seems particularly determined this year with their offerings - products from their partnership with Google for Mobiles, their range of TVs this year, etc. seems to indicate their desire to make up for some of the mistakes of the last years, and they seem to be making their offerings as feature packed as possible.
15) Total output of 1100 W RMS (though these rated numbers are at 10% THD. 200 W for the sub, 180 W each for the front/speaker/rear speakers - though the exact mechanics of the power distribution of exactly 180W for each beat me, considering that the front and rear speakers are bigger than the rear ones, as well as the front speakers are 2 way, the center one is 2 Way 3 speaker while the rear ones are 1 Way and smaller in size)
16) Power consumption of 130W only!!!

Bit the bullet and bought it yesterday. The MRP was Rs. 24990/-. Got it at a decent discount. The LG festival offer for this product also includes 2 3D Blu Ray discs which was icing on the cake (though yet to receive as the disks are, I am told, out of stock with LG). Also got a small gift (a 'lunch box') as compliments from the shop for the festival time purchase. Brought it back with me yesterday and it is lying unopened as yet. Expecting a technician from LG to come in today to help install. Hoping for some interesting times with this, and will update on any interesting milestones.

Now need to explore if there are any options for (1) Making this play USB drives larger than 1 TB (2) Play multi region Blu Ray and DVD disks. Request any suggestions. I realize I have gone against the accepted logic on this forum. Hoping for not too many brickbats.

Re: Power Consumption and why I bought a mass HTIB rather than better component based

Congratulation Manij for your purchase. and Yes I expect your review on this product after installation. After all your satisfaction is more important rather than anybody else.

Last edited:
Re: Power Consumption and why I bought a mass HTIB rather than better component based

Congrats Let me know if it is able to decode DTS, Dolby digital from HDMI input. Specially from downloaded files.

Congrats mate. Very thorough research!

The other point of view very convincingly made. Let us wait for the review.

Let us know how it is playing the video files through hdmi.

At that price you could have done better with HTiB with avr. Hope LG is not performing that defy physics. To get the desired amount of clean dB, more or less, will consume similar power. The power rating is max power consumed by the unit. And that is more likely efficient for better ckt design of Onkyo, Yamaha etc than LG, Philips etc.

Just my honest opinion.

Have installed and been using, albeit a little sparingly.
However wanted to confirm that:
8) Headphone output/amp (to be confirmed) - NOT AVAILABLE
9) Inbuilt wireless support (to be confirmed) - NOT AVAILABLE

Also had been previously spoilt by the installation services provided while I bought my previous component based HT system...and was sorely disappointed with what I got from LG - the technician just opened/connected the set with the speakers spread around the set placed next to each other, showed that sound is coming from each speaker and said that is all the installation that they do. So I went the DIY route - bought installation brackets from SP Road, did all the drilling/screwing/installing.

Sound is reasonably good, and I am surely hearing stuff that I previously missed (while previously using my headphones, etc.)

Last edited:

Sound is reasonably good, and I am surely hearing stuff that I previously missed (while previously using my headphones, etc.)

Now that sounds interesting. I have always experienced exactly opposite and believe that headphones/earphones are way better in producing details than regular room speakers simply because they play very close to your eardrum. What headphones you use? I am no expert in headphones but even my el cheapo Sony gives better details.

Did you compare the sound of this HTiB with offerings from Philips or Sony? what was your experience?
How are the connectors on speakers and HTiB? They are spring connectors or proprietary connectors where you can attach only the speakers that came with the set?

As far as wattage goes, I don't know how a machine consuming 130 watts of power can give out 1100 watts. My marantz amp is 45 watts/ch for 8 ohms or 60w/ch at 4 ohm while power consumption can be up to 130 watts.
So here we have 2 products, one gives 120 watts from 130 watts while other gives 1100watts from 130 watts. I do not know if this is technically possible even if one uses class D amps.

Having said that, I am a believer that specs don't mean much as long as your sound is good and loud enough. I am myself in love with a philips HTib (HTs5530 to be specific) and may go for it.

..... What headphones you use? I am no expert in headphones but even my el cheapo Sony gives better details....
I am currently using a CM SIRUS 5.1 headphone set. Also at times use another one from Plantronics.

..... Did you compare the sound of this HTiB with offerings from Philips or Sony? what was your experience? ....
I did not compare/ audition before purchase....was not sure it mattered much in this segment, was just going by previous reviews from the Amazon German site.

..... How are the connectors on speakers and HTiB? They are spring connectors or proprietary connectors where you can attach only the speakers that came with the set? ....
Basic spring connector only, seems to be common to most of the HTiB sets in this segment.

..... As far as wattage goes, I don't know how a machine consuming 130 watts of power can give out 1100 watts. My marantz amp is 45 watts/ch for 8 ohms or 60w/ch at 4 ohm while power consumption can be up to 130 watts.
So here we have 2 products, one gives 120 watts from 130 watts while other gives 1100watts from 130 watts. I do not know if this is technically possible even if one uses class D amps. ....
Thanks Jaudere for this input, I did not realize that the Marantz was consuming only 130 W power. I thought that this figure was much higher, and did check out multiple amps before deciding on the LG HTiB...and must have missed this specific Marantz amp. Frankly was a little disappointed to find not much 'green' options in the audiophile range. I guess I'll need to do more research into this. The LG numbers are data from the spec sheet. These, I presume are numbers at 10% THD (not specfied on the spec sheet). Also my understanding is Class D amps do make a significant impact on power consumption because of the higher efficiency...though the downside is they "probably don't sound as good". Also my requirements were for a very small room - though the output levels is graded till 40, I generally dont go beyond 15...and mostly am at 10 or nearabouts. For my use case/small room, this probably works. I however do acknowledge that there are surely much better options out there, just not sure that they are as 'green' in terms of power consumption and features.

Last edited:

wow! Presence of spring connectors makes this set a good proposition. Sony/philips offerings in this range have special connectors and you cannot experiemnt with speakers without cutting wires and those wires are hair thin. Must go today and have a look. How much discount did you get? By the way, my marantz is a stereo amp. AVRs will be rated from 250 w and above. One thing, the amps (class A/B or class D) will consume rated power when played at full volume only. Class A always consume full rated power when they are on at any volume. In any case, Marantz amp similar to mine is for 30k today and you are getting BDP, amp, speakers including woofer at 25k, you still win if the audio quality is decent.

wow! Presence of spring connectors makes this set a good proposition. Sony/philips offerings in this range have special connectors and you cannot experiemnt with speakers without cutting wires and those wires are hair thin. Must go today and have a look. How much discount did you get?
By spring connectors, I assumed you meant the standard Red/Black connectors which can be pulled back to open up a hole into which the speaker wire can be inserted. I think most budget options in the market use these connectors currently. In terms of prices, checked out in few shops and prices were between 18.5 K to 20.9 K as part of the festival sales discounts. I bought from an outlet at Rs. 20K as I liked the place/dealer.

HDMI inputs are working well. Watched a 3D movie played off my laptop connected through HDMI in, as well as another played directly from portable hard disk through USB port in of the LG system. Both show up well on my Samsung (S23A700D 3D) monitor.

There are options for HDMI 1080p with 24Hz as well as 50Hz. The manual recommends using of 24Hz in specific situations to make the video play better. However while playing back .mkv files (from USB HDD), there screen was full of red specs. Changed back to 50Hz and the playback is normal. Will need to check how/when 1080p 24Hz can be used instead of 50Hz.

Recognizes 3TB HDD also when connected in through USB (the manual states that only disks upto 1 TB are usable). However not all files are displayed, guess there is a limitation on that. Looks like it is best to use 1 TB HDD for now.

Yesterday also collected the 2 3D Blu Ray movies that were part of the Diwali package.
1) Toy Story 3
2) Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Manji bhai i hav got this one from ebay waiting for shipping...DOES THIS HAV INBUILT WIFI?

Congrats on your purchase and the well review. I am amazed that a mass market product offered multiple HDMI switching. Just remember had you bought a Onkyo HTIB in similar range it could have given you similar output at lower THD figures supposedly. But overall waiting for audition reviews and setup pics.

Great home theatre awesome sound. but only flaw is no inbuilt wifi...but its a dlna certified.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back