POWER CORD FOR CROWN XLS2002

Easy EMI Options at HiFiMART.com

chandu6119

hi,
i recently bought a crown amplifier xls2002.the power cord plug is big and 16amps. do i have to change the wall switch board socket to 16a to plug this. also the power cord length is very small, can i purchase any other 16a power cord to connect with this amp? also what happens if i connect normal 6a power cable to this amp?

amrutmhatre90

hi,
i recently bought a crown amplifier xls2002.the power cord plug is big and 16amps. do i have to change the wall switch board socket to 16a to plug this. also the power cord length is very small, can i purchase any other 16a power cord to connect with this amp? also what happens if i connect normal 6a power cable to this amp?

Would advise connecting good power cable, I had a after market power cable and it short.
Recently did a DIY power cable and it gives piece of mind too.

chandu6119

Would advise connecting good power cable, I had a after market power cable and it short.
Recently did a DIY power cable and it gives piece of mind too.
does the crowns usually come with such short cables? what about 16amps to 6amps conversion plugs or using 16amps surge protectors connected to 6a wall socket? or should i go with good quality 16a power cord connected to 16amps wall socket? i presently have 6a wall sockets

Vintage

hi,
How is performence of xls 2002?

amrutmhatre90

does the crowns usually come with such short cables? what about 16amps to 6amps conversion plugs or using 16amps surge protectors connected to 6a wall socket? or should i go with good quality 16a power cord connected to 16amps wall socket? i presently have 6a wall sockets

I am using surge protectors myself no issues. Stick to the original cables if you can, I had purchased crowns from a FM. It was not the original cable which caused it to short.

How is performence of xls 2002?
If you want a budget power amp with tons of power this is it, I have hooked it up to a Denon x3700 for fronts and Tube Pre Amp too.
The way Tube Pre Amp sounds with the Crowns is magical. It is a neutral power amp, sure class A/Bs will be lot better than this, but for the value this is a really good product. Light, compact and doesn't get hot ever.

Check out my threads you will get an idea how I have paired and tested them.

chandu6119

I am using surge protectors myself no issues. Stick to the original cables if you can, I had purchased crowns from a FM. It was not the original cable which caused it to short.

If you want a budget power amp with tons of power this is it, I have hooked it up to a Denon x3700 for fronts and Tube Pre Amp too.
The way Tube Pre Amp sounds with the Crowns is magical. It is a neutral power amp, sure class A/Bs will be lot better than this, but for the value this is a really good product. Light, compact and doesn't get hot ever.

Check out my threads you will get an idea how I have paired and tested them.
which surge protector are you using, does it have 6a plug to wall ?

chandu6119

Belkins should fit, or best option is go to a local hardware shop he would have surge protectors. You can get it from him telling your issue, let him know if it doesn't fit you would exchange.

Last option is to upgrade wiring :p
ya thank you. another question, how do you control the output wattage in this? my speakers requires only 200w at 8ohms,how do i set the max output limit so that speakers are not damaged?

amrutmhatre90

Don't worry about it, the clipping lights should warn you. I have mine set to 3 o clock and the input sensitivity to .775
Just don't turn up the volume at crazy levels when you start.

chandu6119

Don't worry about it, the clipping lights should warn you. I have mine set to 3 o clock and the input sensitivity to .775
Just don't turn up the volume at crazy levels when you start.
Noob question, clipping lights appear when the amp is overdriven right?how does the amp knows the max wattage capabilities of the speakers?how does this work?

ssf

do i have to change the wall switch board socket to 16a to plug this.
Yes. It is unsafe to try and plug a 16 amp plug to a 6 amp socket.
how does the amp knows the max wattage capabilities of the speakers?how does this work?
I would not worry about it. When you initially power on and play, be careful with the volume. You can then increase the volume to the desired level. Inside a room, you will probably go deaf before the speaker blows :)

Decadent_Spectre

You should just change the socket, you do not need to change the circuit/wiring. Crown is not a very good amp (even the itech/macrotechs) compared to other options, behringer is not good either. For budget pro amps, QSC is better IMO.

ssf

Crown is not a very good amp
Am currently using the Crown XLS 2502 and quite happy with it. Noise levels are not low but manageable. Just for my information, when you say that Crown is not a very good amp, are you comparing it with audiophile grade class D amps or with class A/B amps or with any power amp in general.

ASR has given it a recommendation.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../crown-xls2502-stereo-amplifier-review.10627/

In my view, it's a pretty neutral amp and at the price, it is a cost effective way to add power to a HT Setup. Combined with a entry level tube pre, it does quite well at stereo too. In fact, I use it over my Marantz 7010 in pure direct for two channel listening.

But please note, I have old ears and not trained to hear differences in amps. :)

amrutmhatre90

+1 this a very good power amp, sure noise issues are present but not until you stick ears to the speakers.

Many people are running them in their setup, is there any power amp that is neutral and can do all this at this cost?