POWER CORD FOR CROWN XLS2002

Decadent_Spectre

Am currently using the Crown XLS 2502 and quite happy with it. Noise levels are not low but manageable. Just for my information, when you say that Crown is not a very good amp, are you comparing it with audiophile grade class D amps or with class A/B amps or with any power amp in general.

ASR has given it a recommendation.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../crown-xls2502-stereo-amplifier-review.10627/

In my view, it's a pretty neutral amp and at the price, it is a cost effective way to add power to a HT Setup. Combined with a entry level tube pre, it does quite well at stereo too. In fact, I use it over my Marantz 7010 in pure direct for two channel listening.

But please note, I have old ears and not trained to hear differences in amps. :)

I am comparing it to QSC RMX series of amps. The crown is also class D and I do not like class D for speakers. I am also referring to the subjective sound quality, even if you compare the XLS with the older Crowns, the older would sound better IMO.

Firstly I am not an objectivist, secondly Amir at ASR has often stated he sells and is friends with Harman people. He follows the Harman guidelines for speakers which is utter trash and marketing propaganda to put it mildly. IMO the science of audio can not currently predict if you will like something or not based on data, it is too fixated on being an engineer and less so on being a music listener.

It is cost effective, no denying that. There is a difference in the sound, to me anyway.

efernand1

View attachment 60055 changed the wall socket to 16a. I read many good reviews for crown xls amplifiers for 2 channel music. But Presenlty i bought this amp to run my 18inch diy sub in 4ohms bridged mode.

Crowns & QSCs have been used widely professionally to power up multiple speakers and a bunch of my friends who are DJs and even part of Bands and even Sound System owners use them widely. personally I am more inclined to Crown Amps than QSCs.

In my older days as a DJ we used Russel, Studio Master or Taurus Power amps for big setups which worked well. Crowns and QSCs came in later.

There is no harm using the same at home at the correct outlets. Match as much as possible to the right speaker watts (RMS) and impedance, you should be sorted and it will work well.

IndianEars

hi,
i recently bought a crown amplifier xls2002.the power cord plug is big and 16amps. do i have to change the wall switch board socket to 16a to plug this. also the power cord length is very small, can i purchase any other 16a power cord to connect with this amp? also what happens if i connect normal 6a power cable to this amp?
Just saw this Very active thread, that began about 8 hours ago! Lots of Inyterest.

1. Congrats, you did the correct thing, by installing a 16 ampere socket in your wall outlet, however I suspect the wiring will have been made to support approx 5 Amperes ;) . Lets take a closer llok at the situation.

CROWN XLS 2002 AMP SPECS
This is a POWERHOUSE of an amplifier, capable of delivering:
375 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (750 Watts for 2 channels)
650 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms ( 1,300 Watts Total) or
Upto 2,400 Watts into 4 Ohms bridged.

The brochure states: the new XLS is ultra-efficient with Crown’s patented DriveCore technology and can drive 2400W at 4Ω bridged with tons of headroom guaranteeing a clean, undistorted signal straight to your speakers.

ATLEAST this much power (despite its "ultra efficient DriveCore Tech") will be drawn from the mains, ie thru that plug.

the smaller 3 pin, 5 ampere plug is capable of delivering 240 Volts x 5 Amperes = 1,200 Watts ONLY).

Clearly a Heftier (16 Ampere) 3 pin Plug, like the ones used for air-conditioners and geysers is required, and that is why the Crown 2002 comes with the larger plug.

You need Good heavy gauge copper in the wire connecting the Amplifier to the wall, and Crown have kept that wire short, to minimise voltage drops on that wire.

PRACTICAL IMPLICATIONS
Its most unlikely that you will push this amp to deliver its full output.
The amplifier uses the very efficient Class D amplification. This means that the amplifier will draw only as much current frfom the mains, as is required to deliver power to the speakers.

Lets say that it delivers 100 Watts per channel for 2 channels (that is a LOT of power) ... it will draw a little more than 100 + 100 Watts ... say 10% more ie 220 Watts power from the mains.... This means a Current of 220 Watts / 240 Volts = 0.9 Amperes of current.... which is MUCH less than the 1200 Watts that a 5 ampere 3 pin plug (and wiring) can deliver. So all is OK, as long as you take it easy on the volume control.

You have not menbbtioned the wattage of the speakers / sub woofers (Watts & Ohms) you are using the amplifier with, but I doubt they will be able to accept the full power of the Crown XLS 2002.

Noob question, clipping lights appear when the amp is overdriven right? how does the amp knows the max wattage capabilities of the speakers? how does this work?
The Clipping Lights indicate when the Crown XLS 2002 is clipping :p

The amplifier does not care and does not even know whether the speakers are in distress!

Yes, the amp will almost certainly burnt out speakers is it is made to deliver its full output power for a sustained period of time, into the speakers.

Do treat this high powered amp with respect !

ssf

Yes, the amp will almost certainly burnt out speakers is it is made to deliver its full output power for a sustained period of time, into the speakers.
Agree. But I really don't think anybody can drive this amp at full output for a sustained period of time inside a room without going deaf. :p

Very informative post, thanks.

Edit: Also, to run the Crowns to full power, the limiters might have to be turned off.

Last edited:

chandu6119

Just saw this Very active thread, that began about 8 hours ago! Lots of Inyterest.

1. Congrats, you did the correct thing, by installing a 16 ampere socket in your wall outlet, however I suspect the wiring will have been made to support approx 5 Amperes ;) . Lets take a closer llok at the situation.

CROWN XLS 2002 AMP SPECS
This is a POWERHOUSE of an amplifier, capable of delivering:
375 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (750 Watts for 2 channels)
650 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms ( 1,300 Watts Total) or
Upto 2,400 Watts into 4 Ohms bridged.

The brochure states: the new XLS is ultra-efficient with Crown’s patented DriveCore technology and can drive 2400W at 4Ω bridged with tons of headroom guaranteeing a clean, undistorted signal straight to your speakers.

ATLEAST this much power (despite its "ultra efficient DriveCore Tech") will be drawn from the mains, ie thru that plug.

the smaller 3 pin, 5 ampere plug is capable of delivering 240 Volts x 5 Amperes = 1,200 Watts ONLY).

Clearly a Heftier (16 Ampere) 3 pin Plug, like the ones used for air-conditioners and geysers is required, and that is why the Crown 2002 comes with the larger plug.

You need Good heavy gauge copper in the wire connecting the Amplifier to the wall, and Crown have kept that wire short, to minimise voltage drops on that wire.

PRACTICAL IMPLICATIONS
Its most unlikely that you will push this amp to deliver its full output.
The amplifier uses the very efficient Class D amplification. This means that the amplifier will draw only as much current frfom the mains, as is required to deliver power to the speakers.

Lets say that it delivers 100 Watts per channel for 2 channels (that is a LOT of power) ... it will draw a little more than 100 + 100 Watts ... say 10% more ie 220 Watts power from the mains.... This means a Current of 220 Watts / 240 Volts = 0.9 Amperes of current.... which is MUCH less than the 1200 Watts that a 5 ampere 3 pin plug (and wiring) can deliver. So all is OK, as long as you take it easy on the volume control.

You have not menbbtioned the wattage of the speakers / sub woofers (Watts & Ohms) you are using the amplifier with, but I doubt they will be able to accept the full power of the Crown XLS 2002.

The Clipping Lights indicate when the Crown XLS 2002 is clipping :p

The amplifier does not care and does not even know whether the speakers are in distress!

Do treat this high powered amp with respect !
Thanks for the detailed explanation, very helpful. I have connected the amp to wall 16a socket with the provided short crown power cord. in wall wires are 1.5mm (16awg) in our house. I bought this amp to drive ultimaxx 18 diy subwoofer ,which i am building currently. I have modelled it for max 1500watts in winisd. Planning to run in 4 ohm bridged mode

If the amp draws approx 10cent more power than output, then why it is rated as 350watts on the back for power consumption?

So in order to protect a speaker from overpowering, i have to look for distortion and and spl levels, right?

Last edited:

chandu6119

Agree. But I really don't think anybody can drive this amp at full output for a sustained period of time inside a room without going deaf. :p

Very informative post, thanks.

Edit: Also, to run the Crowns to full power, the limiters might have to be turned off.
Is there a limiter in crown amps?

IndianEars

Thanks for the detailed explanation, very helpful. I have connected the amp to wall 16a socket with the provided short crown power cord. in wall wires are 1.5mm (16awg) in our house. I bought this amp to drive ultimaxx 18 diy subwoofer ,which i am building currently. I have modelled it for max 1500watts in winisd. Planning to run in 4 ohm bridged mode

1. If the amp draws approx 10cent more power than output, then why it is rated as 350watts on the back for power consumption?

2. So in order to protect a speaker from overpowering, i have to look for distortion and and spl levels, right?
1. The 350 Watt power rating is incorrect. It could be speculated to be indicative of the continuous average power drawn from the mains, when the amp is driving real world music ........

With music, the power peaks will be 10 x (10 TIMES) or more higher than the average continuous music.

Similarly, the amp will almost never draw 2,000 Watts continuous even if you drive the Sub woofer to high levels. It is not too inefficient @ 88 dB

2. SPEAKER PROTECTION
I checked the electrical specs of your sub woofer:
Specifications: • Power handling: 1,000 watts RMS/2,000 watts max • Le: 2.22 mH • Impedance: 4 ohms (2 ohms/coil)

So you dont really want to feed your sub woofer more than 1,000 Watts.

The Power delivered to your sub (by the amp) will be Power = VxV / R So VxV will be Power x R (Speaker Resistance)

VxV = 1000 x 4 ohms = 4,000 ie V=63 Volts RMS.

If you REALLY want to protect yr sub ( Not necessary, In My Opinion, since the Sound levels will warn you well before that)
you should build a protection circuit that detects 63 Volts RMS at the Speaker terminals, and disconnects the speaker when such a high voltage is detected. Alternately, if your amplifier has limiters, set them accordingly.

chandu6119

1. The 350 Watt power rating is incorrect. It could be speculated to be indicative of the continuous average power drawn from the mains, when the amp is driving real world music ........

With music, the power peaks will be 10 x (10 TIMES) or more higher than the average continuous music.

Similarly, the amp will almost never draw 2,000 Watts continuous even if you drive the Sub woofer to high levels. It is not too inefficient @ 88 dB

2. SPEAKER PROTECTION
I checked the electrical specs of your sub woofer:
Specifications: • Power handling: 1,000 watts RMS/2,000 watts max • Le: 2.22 mH • Impedance: 4 ohms (2 ohms/coil)

So you dont really want to feed your sub woofer more than 1,000 Watts.

The Power delivered to your sub (by the amp) will be Power = VxV / R So VxV will be Power x R (Speaker Resistance)

VxV = 1000 x 4 ohms = 4,000 ie V=63 Volts RMS.

If you REALLY want to protect yr sub ( Not necessary, In My Opinion, since the Sound levels will warn you well before that)
you should build a protection circuit that detects 63 Volts RMS at the Speaker terminals, and disconnects the speaker when such a high voltage is detected. Alternately, if your amplifier has limiters, set them accordingly.
I think minidsp hd would have limiters,since i am using it for eq

ssf

Is there a limiter in crown amps?
Crown says

"The limiter on the XLS Drive Core is just a very basic clip limiter which is just a on and off function. The limiting is only a dB or 2, you would be better off using an external limiter if needed."

In the xls 2000 series, there was an option to turn it on or off from the front panel. I don't see the option in the 2502 series.

chandu6119

Crown says

"The limiter on the XLS Drive Core is just a very basic clip limiter which is just a on and off function. The limiting is only a dB or 2, you would be better off using an external limiter if needed."

In the xls 2000 series, there was an option to turn it on or off from the front panel. I don't see the option in the 2502 series.
ya i dont see any option here

drvmtm

I have 3 xls 2002.driving 6 subwoofers for my 2 channel system. The 220 volt or 230 volt if you consider model is rated max 375 watt max from Wall outlet. A good robust wiring will certainly help ,specially switching on state where large chunk of inductive load is pulled . I am currently using conversion plugs but in future thinking of making good power cables with 5 amp 3 pin havels brass plugs . My main wiring is 2. 5 mm wires .
I think this should answer your question.

Enhance your CD Listening with the versatile and amazing Audiolab 6000CDT Transport.