Power supply for FX audio preamp/ tube buffer

amitakkihal

I'm using the FX Audio 03 preamp (12V 1A) into the main-in of a NAD integrated amp. Source is rpi + topping e30 + Allo Shanti. Is it likely I can see an incremental SQ improvement by improving power supply to the FX Audio unit? If so, between a better smps, a 12v router UPS, or LPS, what makes sense? Thanks for any pointers.

Theoretically yes, but practically, any 12v dc tube buffer uses a smps inside to boost the voltage to the levels tubes need, and they're going to be pretty noisy anyway. The tube 03 comes with Russian tubes right? In that case the simple options left would be to add damping rings to the tubes . Anything else would need internal mods.

I really don't face any issues with mine in terms of noise, so just curious what problems you're facing

Theoretically yes, but practically, any 12v dc tube buffer uses a smps inside to boost the voltage to the levels tubes need, and they're going to be pretty noisy anyway. The tube 03 comes with Russian tubes right? In that case the simple options left would be to add damping rings to the tubes . Anything else would need internal mods.

I really don't face any issues with mine in terms of noise, so just curious what problems you're facing
I think what prompted this was seeing the improvement that Allo Shanti delivered to the pi + DAC. Made me wonder if the low quality power adapter holds back performance in any way for the fx audio. I have done a few mods to the fx, swapped the op amps, some caps and using ge tubes. The noise isn't much of a problem, but can power improve dynamics? I've never heard of damping rings, will look into it, thanks

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back