Power Woes...Stabilizer vs UPS vs Nada

Sudhanshu

Hi All

Even though ive been visiting the forum for years now to look for answers to my layman AV queries, this is actually the first time im writing here.

So finally bought my first proper AV setup (AVphiles would beg to differ but hey i think its decent for a beginner). The setup is:

Video: Epson 8350 Full HD Projector (wattage - 200)
Screen: None yet (white colored wall)
HTIB: Onkyo HT S3500 (was looking to get the 3400 but this just launched last week in Gurgaon stores!!) (wattage - 660)
Media Player: Asus o'Play HD2, 2 tb WD green
Media Player 2: Assembled a PC (AMD FX 4100, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance, 64 GB Crucial SSD, GTX450) which as of now is Kaput because of reasons mentioned below.

So the thing is that I live in Gurgaon...and the power cuts are driving everyone crazy here. Now, I want to insulate my setup in the best and most cost effective way I can. So need help on deciding what exactly to go for. The options i am looking at right now are:

1. Belkin Surge Protector (got the biggest/strongest motha that Croma had) for Projector, HTIB and Asus Media Player. (Friend of mine suggested that I may not require anything more. He suggested that when the power goes, switch all equipment mains off and only switch on when power is back)

2. Stabilizer for all 3 (Projector, HTIB and Asus). I have a brand new stabilizer used for a 1.5 ton AC ...do you think itll work?

3. UPS for all 3. If this option then which brand? time in mili seconds? KVA etc

4. Stabilizer for HTIB and UPS for Projector and Media Player

5. Stabilizer + UPS for all 3...dont know how this would work.

BTW my pc actually conked of due to the power on again off again situation. MB is fine, suspect the SMPS or the Cabinet (apparently the cabinet can short too..didnt know that..would be checking today)

Any help/suggestions from you guys would be much appreciated.

Peace
S

Hi Sudhanshu,

Even I have a Epson 8350 and I'm going in for a 1KV Champion online UPS. This unit is supposed to have a 20 min backup. I'm planning to connect even my Denon AVR to this UPS.

I've been given a qoute of 15K which i'm trying to finalize.

My primary reason for purchasing UPS is to have enough time for the projector to discharge or switch off completely whener power cut happs. My earlier thought was to go in for an offline UPS, but after doing research go to know the online one actually does proper sine wave matching whenever cut off happens. So its best to take an online UPS.

I've been reading quite a lot of posts in this forum which suggest APC is also a good brand.

One thing which I would like to confirm whether there is any noise associated and does it need to be powered on throughout the day.

Neo

I was in the same boat almost a year ago and opened a similar kind of thread as well ...

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-vid...electricity-electricity-low-voltage-help.html

The all time solution for me was an Online UPS. I already had a LPG Genset and an 1.5KVA inverter as well. But I need something solid to regulate the power under all these cuts and fluctuations, till the time, my inverter or genset takes over .....

I went for Online UPS, plain and simple ..... check this post for the same ..

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-vid...lectricity-low-voltage-help-5.html#post158243

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back