PreProcessor: Emotiva UMC-200 vs Outlaw Model 975 vs?

Santy

Both are costing almost the same. While Emotiva dosen't, Outlaw has legacy video support with upscaling (which I don't need anyway). Emotiva has auto room calibration, Model 975 does not (might be handy). Both have nice cross over functionality I guess. Any suggestions on which one is better in terms of surround performance, two channel (pre-amp) performance and reliability. Also, which has a better DAC, any idea.

I am also exploring other options. Marantz AV7005 and Denon 500 AV are two great choices with better sound quality and XLR connections but they are nearly double the price. Any other options in the price point of Emotiva? I am not very particular but if XLR connections are available for 7.1 output and 2.0 analog input, it would be great. Looking for valuable suggestions. Also any FM has a coupon to share that can be applied on UMC200? (Please PM )

Last edited:
Santy

Emotiva's room calibration is a proprietary system which is not as good as Odyssey. I had the LMC 1 , upgraded to UMC 1, and finally to the Marantz AV 7005, which is light years ahead, it's also a network audio player. I don't think XLR is a great feature-for short lengths RCA is fine. You can get deals on the Marantz if you check for refurbs.
Again, these are only my personal observations/opinions.

Santy,

I would not sweat over XLR connections for less than 10 ft length. Besides, Marantz and Denon at low end does not have true balanced connectors (its just XLR pin at the end). Even newer Marantz 8801 does not have true balanced connectors. It's a moot point to chase it at below $6000 price.

If you can get AV7005 as refurb (accessories4less.com has it) it's room correction can be a differentiating feature between these three pre-pro's.

Thanks George and Manoj for your quick response. I fully agree with your views.

Now my query is; can I use AV7005 as preamp for my stereo listening? I am getting active monitors. I would connect the output of my DAC to the processor and then to actives. There are multiple objectives. One is I don't have to adjust volume on both monitors separately, I can use remote for that, I can have multiple input sources and I need not change the cable on the active speakers for switching between movies and music. Is it common that people use such a setup?

I was wondering if the processor will feed clean and transparent stereo signal . I also wish to know if it is a poor decision to buy a budget processor like UMC now and upgrade it after an year or two (2.0 output for music is still important for me).

EDIT:
1 Rears are also small monitors, running length atleast 25 feet+. Unbalanced cabling will still do the job?
2. For some reasons, I am not able to open this site accessories4less.com for several days now

EDIT
3. I could open the site from mobile. Thanks

Last edited:
I believe outlaw makes only 110V equipments. But all others are available at 110v & 230V. I have an UMC-1 wanted to change it due to HDMI handshaking issues with Oppo. Outlaw 975 was a good replacement but due to 110v only have to drop the idea.

I believe outlaw makes only 110V equipments. But all others are available at 110v & 230V. I have an UMC-1 wanted to change it due to HDMI handshaking issues with Oppo. Outlaw 975 was a good replacement but due to 110v only have to drop the idea.

Thanks, I was hoping that there could be a 220V version also.
From your signature, it seems that you are using the Arcam DAC to UMC to Mono blocks to ProACs for music. This way you are not doing any swapping of cables etc. for switching between movies and music. I hope I am right? Are you happy with UMC's preamp capabilities for music?

Last edited:
Too many questions. I have separate systems for 2 channel audio, but the Marantz prepro(IMHO) sounds very nice for audio. You need to decide for yourself about the upgrade-it's a personal thing. The AV 7005 runs on 110V, unlike Emotiva, as a previous poster pointed out-this may add to the confusion.

Santy,

Marantz does have a pure direct mode. It should be able to transfer the clean signal.

Don't worry about unbalanced signal for 25ft for surrounds. Cause there is not much an option anyway. Or you can send amplified signal to surrounds.

Thanks George and Manoj for your quick response. I fully agree with your views.

Now my query is; can I use AV7005 as preamp for my stereo listening? I am getting active monitors. I would connect the output of my DAC to the processor and then to actives. There are multiple objectives. One is I don't have to adjust volume on both monitors separately, I can use remote for that, I can have multiple input sources and I need not change the cable on the active speakers for switching between movies and music. Is it common that people use such a setup?

I was wondering if the processor will feed clean and transparent stereo signal . I also wish to know if it is a poor decision to buy a budget processor like UMC now and upgrade it after an year or two (2.0 output for music is still important for me).

EDIT:
1 Rears are also small monitors, running length atleast 25 feet+. Unbalanced cabling will still do the job?
2. For some reasons, I am not able to open this site accessories4less.com for several days now

EDIT
3. I could open the site from mobile. Thanks

I wonder which active monitors u are taking about :D ... Anyway just wondering what will happen to the Polk & energy fronts... BTW the AV7005 would be a good purchase in my mind as I really love it's sound signature (granted its the only one I have heard off the lot) ... Also do talk to Ashraf Bhai to seem if any deal comes up for a used one... Last time I was at his shop he had a few used avrs(one of them a 7005) ... Who knows u might just get lucky... Also the diff in pricing in new marantz avrs in US & India is not that much so might be able to find a good deal here...

Too many questions. I have separate systems for 2 channel audio, but the Marantz prepro(IMHO) sounds very nice for audio. You need to decide for yourself about the upgrade-it's a personal thing. The AV 7005 runs on 110V, unlike Emotiva, as a previous poster pointed out-this may add to the confusion.

Planning for a complete overhaul - almost all stuff I bought so far could be replaced. So obviously, lot of queries. :eek:hyeah:

@rajadeep
Who is Ashraf, can you give his coordinates by PM. I can also go by hifimart route it seems.

If its Marantz (buying locally), it may take a while to pump in some funds.
If its Emotiva, I can buy it sooner.
BTW, Lsi9s were not purchased, I was just demoing them at home. I loved it though. Awesome speakers they are.

Energy package of 5.0 I would sell them off. I really struggled to get this combo of same series.

BTW when did you buy your AVR and HTIB. Good choice there.

Aahhh-I understand better now-one more of those affected by that terminal disease-upgraditis. Well, as far as I know there is no cure found for this illness.

Thanks, I was hoping that there could be a 220V version also.
From your signature, it seems that you are using the Arcam DAC to UMC to Mono blocks to ProACs for music. This way you are not doing any swapping of cables etc. for switching between movies and music. I hope I am right? Are you happy with UMC's preamp capabilities for music?

I find it is more than adequate to listen to stereo using UMC preamp. I have compared it against Unison Research (integrated) & Conrad Johnson (pre & Arcam P1 power) and found good.

If you really want to have separate stereo setup and HT and does not want to swap cables, consider Emotiva XSP-1 for stereo and UMC for HT. XSP-1 has HT bypass functionality and will allow seamless integration with Stereo and HT.

This is the quote I got for UMC200 from ishopinternational

Item price, local shipping, taxes: Rs. 32,945
International Shipping: Rs. 5,390
Duty, Taxes, & Fees: Rs. 10,425
- DISCOUNT - Rs. 100
-----------------------------------------------------
TOTAL Rs. 48,660

I think unless someone carries it within duty free limit, it makes more sense to save more money and go for AV7005 in India, may be 20k more. I also read in a thread it costs only 48k without B&W. Though risky I think it will be a steal.

Did you got a quote from Emotiva directly. I have purchased directly from Emotiva and had no issues. Shipping charges for individual components is high. Buy multiple items the additional shipping charge per unit is too low. Send a mail to support or sales they respond fast.

Did they include and manage customs duty? I don't really want to get into all that fuss; learnt a lesson with my DAC import.

Do you mind sharing how much you paid, value, shipping, customs.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Fedex handles customs + duty + taxes + xxxx everything for you. Emotiva being only online seller , so their quotes are pretty accurate inclusive of all.

Fedex handles customs + duty + taxes + xxxx everything for you. Emotiva being only online seller , so their quotes are pretty accurate inclusive of all.

Ok so they use FedEx, but are you sure they give final landing price. I vaguely remember before buying caiman, I asked about xda1, they said they have no idea about duty. That was quite some time back. I guess I will shoot a mail to them to know the exact pricing if possible.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Audyssey can be plus point of Marantz AV processor.Outlaw has good reviews though.
Emotiva had issues in earlier version.So think wisely.

Outlaw is a simple, no fuss processor. Its unique point is simplicity and quick setup. Although, you would need an SPL meter to set the gains for all channels as it does not include a setup mic.

Back