Priorities changes..building a hifi future ready system

josejames123

Well, i joined this forum a couple of weeks back hoping to pitch in to the world of HTIB, now after browsing through this and a lot of other forums, I came to know one thing, if you need quality, be ready to pay for it. So here I am trying to build everything from scratch.I am ready to shell out close to 1 lakh for building a decent HT system. It should be able to handle music and movies with ease. I am considering Onkyo TX-NR609 as the receiver, since i read that this can handle both reasonably. Now I need a good set of speakers to go with it. What should I buy. I am guessing I can shell out 60K for a good speaker set.Need your help

you are right abt paying the price. I believe it applies to every walk of life! :)

Neways, you must have also read about the wide-accepted belief that your spending should be in the ratio of 30:30:30:10 for source, amplification, speakers and rest for cables for cables and interconnects.

Without a decent amp, your speakers wont really shine and heavy amp is not-needed for mediocore speakers!

do consider revising your budget allocation! All the best with your endeavours! :)

If you want something that can do music well too, look at Marantz AVRs. Something like the the nr15XX with a bookshelf based speaker package would sound good and occupy less space too. For source, you can get a Sony bd 380 or a Asus Oplay/ or such media player. Allocate some 5000 INR for cables, interconnects too.

I am considering these 4 receivers. Marantz SR 5005,Denon 1912,Marantz SR 5006 and Onkyo TX-NR609. So which should i choose. Please help. I heard that most AV receivers suck when compared to dedicated stereo receivers. I need at least a capable one that can hold their ground when pitted against some dedicated stereo receivers. Also can someone just a good amp for these, or will they themselves do the job

Last edited:
After looking at your thread title and looking at your requirement I think that you should also look at NAD AVRs specially T757 which is good with both Movies and Music and also future proof, but it will also put a slight dent to your budget.

Put most of your money on the speakers. I would say atleast 50% or may be more. Donot worry about source right now. Amplification 30 %

Cables 10%

Source you can use a pc you should be good.

Speakers are very hard replace. All the others can be replaced easily.

Put most of your money on speakers.

I am considering these 4 receivers. Marantz SR 5005,Denon 1912,Marantz SR 5006 and Onkyo TX-NR609. So which should i choose. Please help. I heard that most AV receivers suck when compared to dedicated stereo receivers. I need at least a capable one that can hold their ground when pitted against some dedicated stereo receivers. Also can someone just a good amp for these, or will they themselves do the job

Marantz is your best bet if you want a 5.1 AVR that also sounds great with music. If you have the budget go with SR5006...........a very good performer and probably the best of the lot!!! But then again if music is your main interest, you should not be looking at a 5.1 AVR and instead opt for a good stereo amp.

I agree with Aakash.. I own SR5006 and it's a very good AVR..

But if music is your preference then go for stereo amp.. you wont get stereo quality from an AVR until n unless you buy high end AVR..

Well fiddled around a bit for the past week trying to find the so called "perfect" receiver and finally considering everything i am planning between Yamaha RX-V671 and Onkyo TX-NR515. I really like onkyo for its networking capabilities, but heard that Yamaha does a good job for 2 channel music. I am planning to buy online this weekend itself. Please share your opinions

that is not always true ..
yes you need money but synergy (well matching) of components matters .

there is a AVR fever among newbies

spending huge on AVR w/o investing on good stereo source or speaker set is like taking
a half cooked meal

remember 'future ready' is a marketing ploy..a vintage AVR/stereo amp and well syncd speakerset is
unbeatable ..new avrs with fancy DSP and HDAudio etc are feature just to tell people

Last edited:
As far as I have learned (and am still stuck in the basics) The right way is to go for the speakers.. choose the kind of speakers you want... go for em & then search for the suitable AMP/AVR for the same...

start with a small step and work around it or rather work to connect other gizmos around it. btw whats the room size that you plan to set this audio station in? It will take time for you to buy fi you go by this method but there are some very good people in this forums who'd guide you well, but in the end it is YOU who has to face the music I mean listen to the music so the choice is yours.!!

P.S: I personally liked Marantz alot more than the Yamaha but seeing that the service options are scarce in India I opted for Yamaha + I needed a good network receiver with alot of features.

Well was enquiring frantically over the past week for AVR and Speakers. There are virtualy no shops here in tvm and the only one dealer that had quoted very high prices. So finally after digging around a lot I ordered a pair of Polk Audio Tsi400 from Amazon.De for 25.9K as the fronts. I know its a bit costly, but compared to the prices I found here, Its a bit cheaper. Now looking for a decent AVR

Well was enquiring frantically over the past week for AVR and Speakers. There are virtualy no shops here in tvm and the only one dealer that had quoted very high prices. So finally after digging around a lot I ordered a pair of Polk Audio Tsi400 from Amazon.De for 25.9K as the fronts. I know its a bit costly, but compared to the prices I found here, Its a bit cheaper. Now looking for a decent AVR

Which dealer in Tvm sells good quality HT components? I've been searching, but never found one :sad: . I was infact planning to take an audition at Profx store in Cochin for Denon AVR and Polk/KEF speakers

Well I did a search in Google and came to know about hifi demo room. When i called 'em up they said that they moved from their previous location and at present they have everything stocked some place else. The person on the phone was very kind and well informed(gosh...forgot his name), even invited me for an audition at his home if required. Call em on 9349751568. Mind you the prices will be on the higher side

Well I did a search in Google and came to know about hifi demo room. When i called 'em up they said that they moved from their previous location and at present they have everything stocked some place else. The person on the phone was very kind and well informed(gosh...forgot his name), even invited me for an audition at his home if required. Call em on 9349751568. Mind you the prices will be on the higher side

Did you finalise on your AVR? I think for your TSi 400, Denon 1612 would be good since you can bi amp them, better check it out at Profx. I was thinking of going to Profx Cochin and checking it out myself.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back