Pro Ac Tablette and ATC SCM19 opinions?

vineetrad

Can anyone who has experience with Pro Ac Tablette and/or ATC SCM19 speakers please help? Any inputs on how it compares with the Harbeth P3esr, Spendor 3/5 (both of which I own) would be extremely useful. I find the Spendor/Harbeth sound signature type, strengths, type of music they suit, etc similar. So looking for a good speaker with a different set of strengths and sound signature. I have always preferred the bookshelf form factor. I am looking for a more transparent studio type speaker this time. Hence considering the Tablette and SCM19. Have generally also preferred sealed box designs to ported but want to be open minded.

I will pair it with a suitable quality SS or Tube amp so that need not be considered as a constraint to select between the two.

Am open to any other bookshelves that fit the above criteria and within a similar budget if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you.

DO you have the amp finalised ? Proacs and ATC are both different from the Harbeth and also from each other.
There is always you tube and am posting 2 links by one of the more sensible folks i have seen..although it is the Proac response and not the Tablette. The response is perhaps more dynamic and plays bigger so you can use that as the option.

DO you have the amp finalised ? Proacs and ATC are both different from the Harbeth and also from each other.
There is always you tube and am posting 2 links by one of the more sensible folks i have seen..although it is the Proac response and not the Tablette. The response is perhaps more dynamic and plays bigger so you can use that as the option.

Thanks for the videos and the response @arj.

All my amps are already in use. I will buy a new amp after finalizing speakers. That's why I said to make things simpler when recommending one can assume a suitable amp will be paired with whichever speaker is bought to drive it well. I was attracted to the Tablette as it is a smallish sealed box design similar to my P3esr and Spendor 3/5. I have a Harbeth M30 also but I prefer the P3esr+sub overall. Same reason why I initially thought of the sealed ATC7 but only considering the ATC SCM19 as a friend is willing to trade it and I can get a good deal on it.

I was using ATC SCM 19 v1 for some 3 + years. Nice speakers they are, but more on Analytical side rather then emotional. And the worst part is they need muscular high current amp to drive it, and biwiring was better.
Heard the Proac with a Leben and it sounded good too. smaller sound then the ATC but more emotional and slightly on the brighter side.

Don't know how far it'll help you in decision making
but SCM 19 V1 didn't measure quite well in ASR review ; which is quite contrary to the general perception (including mine) about ATCs. I always found them more analytical and brutally honest to the source material. I found it a tough task to Get a Correct amplifier for driving them.

As far as I can make out Proacs Response 2.5 didn't measure pretty well in Stereophile reviews. I don't know about the particular Proac model you are considering.

I was considering both of these models few months ago (were available in used market) , finally didn't go for either.

Last edited:
Having owned ATC SCM 19s (both active and passive versions), I felt them them to be slightly on the analytical side of things.. brutally honest to the source and rest of the chain. The most involving sound that i got from the ATCs were when i paired with active SCM 19s with a tube preamp.

ProAc (it was a floor-stander from the response line, forgot the model no), when i heard at a friends place, seemed to have a little more involved, emotional connect in the presentation. But nothing like ATCs in terms of resolution and detail. But the associated equipment were very different and YMMV.

Having owned ATC SCM 19s (both active and passive versions), I felt them them to be slightly on the analytical side of things.. brutally honest to the source and rest of the chain. The most involving sound that i got from the ATCs were when i paired with active SCM 19s with a tube preamp.

ProAc (it was a floor-stander from the response line, forgot the model no), when i heard at a friends place, seemed to have a little more involved, emotional connect in the presentation. But nothing like ATCs in terms of resolution and detail. But the associated equipment were very different and YMMV.

Thanks. I run the Genelecs also with a tube preamp. Takes a slight edge of the ruthless detail that is important for sound mixing which I personally find is then an excellent and transparent music listening speaker. I am looking for a speaker that dissects the sound and with great separation to see into and analyze the music. The other speakers I have do the emotional connect aspect wonderfully so I don't need that from this pair.

With the ATCs everyone seems to agree the active sounds a lot better than the passive even after spending a ton for expensive amps. My experience with Genelec actives has been great. So a tangential thought, has anyone heard the ATC SCM20ASL Mk2? I am tempted to go the whole hog and pick these up and call it a day lol.

Don't know how far it'll help you in decision making
but SCM 19 V1 didn't measure quite well in ASR review ; which is quite contrary to the general perception (including mine) about ATCs. I always found them more analytical and brutally honest to the source material. I found it a tough task to Get a Correct amplifier for driving them.

As far as I can make out Proacs Response 2.5 didn't measure pretty well in Stereophile reviews. I don't know about the particular Proac model you are considering.

I was considering both of these models few months ago (were available in used market) , finally didn't go for either.

Thanks. Yes I saw the ASR review. For pro studio brands like ATC, Genelec, Amphion, etc I would rather go with feedback and recommendations about accuracy of sound, measurements, etc from a pro forum like Gearslutz where they are highly recommended (and personal experience from users like you from HFV that I can trust). ATCs are good enough for large big global studios, concert halls and musicians like Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Mark Knopfler, Coldplay, etc, then it's good enough for me :)

The other speakers I have do the emotional connect aspect wonderfully so I don't need that from this pair.

You cant go wrong with the ATCs then.

So a tangential thought, has anyone heard the ATC SCM20ASL Mk2? I am tempted to go the whole hog and pick these up and call it a day lol.

Which one? ATC SCM20ASLT Tower or ATC SCM20ASL Pro bookshelf? The tower version has got "Full Spec" SL driver.. not sure about the bookshelf...

Thanks. Yes I saw the ASR review. For pro studio brands like ATC, Genelec, Amphion, etc I would rather go with feedback and recommendations about accuracy of sound, measurements, etc from a pro forum like Gearslutz where they are highly recommended (and personal experience from users like you from HFV that I can trust). ATCs are good enough for large big global studios, concert halls and musicians like Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Mark Knopfler, Coldplay, etc, then it's good enough for me :)
For loudspeaker designers, making a loudspeaker that measure very well and keep folks at ASR very happy is easy. Especially with all the technology, industrial design talent and high quality drivers available these days. The really competent designers use measurement as a bedrock upon which they build a loudspeaker that evokes the same feelings that is evoked when one listens to live music. That is where the art, competency and creativity of the loudspeaker comes in. The final product also depends upon the "intent" of the designer as well.

A different approach is to pick a loudspeaker that makes you happy with most of your music. I know people who use the proac response 1sc speaker for many years and will never change although they have the money to buy alternative speakers. A big reason why there are so many design approaches out there is also because of so much variances with mastering and music production techniques. Many a times, what comes on the cd does not really resemble what was played in the studio. If one's reason to own a speaker is to listen exactly to what the producer of the music decided to put on the cd, then a studio speaker that measures exceptionally well will suffice. However, if one wants a speaker that evokes the same feeling that comes while listening to live music ( especially for their choice of music ), speaker designs that incorporate some "art " and " creativity " in the design which takes the designs beyond measurements are needed.

Btw, there are many high end studios that don't use the typical studio monitors from ATC, Genelecs, PMC etc. They use custom made speakers made to the specifications ( subjective and objective ) that the studio provides.

For loudspeaker designers, making a loudspeaker that measure very well and keep folks at ASR very happy is easy. Especially with all the technology, industrial design talent and high quality drivers available these days. The really competent designers use measurement as a bedrock upon which they build a loudspeaker that evokes the same feelings that is evoked when one listens to live music. That is where the art, competency and creativity of the loudspeaker comes in. The final product also depends upon the "intent" of the designer as well.

A different approach is to pick a loudspeaker that makes you happy with most of your music. I know people who use the proac response 1sc speaker for many years and will never change although they have the money to buy alternative speakers. A big reason why there are so many design approaches out there is also because of so much variances with mastering and music production techniques. Many a times, what comes on the cd does not really resemble what was played in the studio. If one's reason to own a speaker is to listen exactly to what the producer of the music decided to put on the cd, then a studio speaker that measures exceptionally well will suffice. However, if one wants a speaker that evokes the same feeling that comes while listening to live music ( especially for their choice of music ), speaker designs that incorporate some "art " and " creativity " in the design which takes the designs beyond measurements are needed.

Btw, there are many high end studios that don't use the typical studio monitors from ATC, Genelecs, PMC etc. They use custom made speakers made to the specifications ( subjective and objective ) that the studio provides.

Well said, reminds of the phrase, "if it sounds good but measures bad, you are measuring the wrong thing " Stereophile did try to bring it both together though.

But dont think we want to go down the dark slippery slope of Subjective vs objective debates :eek:;) !

Going back to the original topic, ATCs have a studio heritage and philosophy n their design hence focus in accuracy etc but not that they are not musical ! Their actives are among the very best and a dream setup for many,

Proac heritage has been more focussed on the home environment hence the small musical speakers which can be driven easily...more on the harbeth/spendor side of the spectrum.

You cannot go wrong with either

@vineetrad, from your opening post you seem to have almost made up your mind on ATC and looking for some endorsement here :)
I will help you. ATCs are honest and thats all. Analytical or Musical depends on what electronics and sources you use with it. Normally electronics which works at the same calibre as the ATC are expensive. Hence an active ATC makes sense. An ATC SCM20asl or SCM25asl would be superb if you have a good preamp. Else get a passive ATC and a good musical amp (preferably UK stuff).

All other speakers in this discussion are boring warm sounding one-trick ponies.

P.S Proac is very good if you go for their top end stuff. They are all large floorstanders:cool:

Can anyone who has experience with Pro Ac Tablette and/or ATC SCM19 speakers please help? Any inputs on how it compares with the Harbeth P3esr, Spendor 3/5 (both of which I own) would be extremely useful. I find the Spendor/Harbeth sound signature type, strengths, type of music they suit, etc similar. So looking for a good speaker with a different set of strengths and sound signature. I have always preferred the bookshelf form factor. I am looking for a more transparent studio type speaker this time. Hence considering the Tablette and SCM19. Have generally also preferred sealed box designs to ported but want to be open minded.

I will pair it with a suitable quality SS or Tube amp so that need not be considered as a constraint to select between the two.

Am open to any other bookshelves that fit the above criteria and within a similar budget if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you.
Try Xavian ,Chario and Rosso Florentino (available in Chennai).I run Xavian Bonbonus ver2 and have auditioned BS in the brands you mentioned .I had posted on a thread here that on the given day i would have picked up proac tab or atc.(disclaimer: no affiliations with any of the brands)

A quick update.

I heard SCM19 Actives with some help from a friend. I liked them. Harbeths and Spendors with good electronics are more emotionally involving especially on certain genres where you can lose yourself in the vocals. ATC midrange was surprisingly good but inferior in tone, timbre, thickness of the vocal to what I have heard with the other two brands. Bass though limited was much faster and tighter. Details especially in the highs were more and forward. Electric guitar sounded amazing on the ATC. Imaging and soundstage, separation also was much better. Dynamics also much better. Besides inherent sound signature of the ATC, I suspect strongly this is the active vs passive speakers element also at play since most of the pros I listed for the also apply to the 8xxx and 8xx1 Genelec active monitors.

Some issues I see with ATCs. It does not come alive till you crank up the sound. Not suited for low level and night listening. Harbeths are awesome for this. Also, if I get the passive ATCs I do not know how many of these pros will go away (I will be pairing with a Luxman 509 integrated amp). Lastly the ATC is something that requires active listening and to be in a mood to dissect the music and peer into the separate elements. This is fine as long as I also have the Harbeth/Spendor. If I sell them as my only speaker it will be limiting IMO. Put differently, if I could have only one speaker I will not pick an ATC. Lastly as other have pointed out, on badly recorded music (many times unfortunately great compositions and singers) it sounded absolutely terrible :). Again, another reason I wouldn't get it if this was my one and only speaker. As one among multiple speakers I'd definitely say it is a strong contender.

One question I have, is there a marked difference between the V1 and V2 SCM19? From what I understand the V2 has the newer ATC inhouse tweeter.

Last edited:

Arj always love new audio sites. Good time pass! Did you notice that this guy’s room was very reverberant? See the lingering sound after he finishes a sentence. It’s become a habit - I listen to rooms a lot (including clicking fingers in strangers houses - eeks.)

Vineetrad, one thing for sure is that I think ATC are speakers that can be sold second hand in decent quick time and generally good reviews except the aforementioned ASR. I think that too merits considerations. Proac too, but a google search will give decent amount of positive hits for SCM 19.

And as some may know from my past posts, go Harbeth go Spendor. And I think you hit the nail on the head - those speakers do better with naturally played and recorded instruments (vocals, orchestra and jazz) but don’t have that excitement with say electric guitars - and then comes the other set with trade offs. I have heard the ATCs and liked them, but not enough to buy yet.

Talk to Sidvee (or perhaps he can post here, let me nudge him) - including comments on upstream components- he has owned ATC and now the small Spendors.

A quick update.

I heard SCM19 Actives with some help from a friend. I liked them. Harbeths and Spendors with good electronics are more emotionally involving especially on certain genres where you can lose yourself in the vocals. ATC midrange was surprisingly good but inferior in tone, timbre, thickness of the vocal to what I have heard with the other two brands. Bass though limited was much faster and tighter. Details especially in the highs were more and forward. Electric guitar sounded amazing on the ATC. Imaging and soundstage, separation also was much better. Dynamics also much better. Besides inherent sound signature of the ATC, I suspect strongly this is the active vs passive speakers element also at play since most of the pros I listed for the also apply to the 8xxx and 8xx1 Genelec active monitors.

Some issues I see with ATCs. It does not come alive till you crank up the sound. Not suited for low level and night listening. Harbeths are awesome for this. Also, if I get the passive ATCs I do not know how many of these pros will go away (I will be pairing with a Luxman 509 integrated amp). Lastly the ATC is something that requires active listening and to be in a mood to dissect the music and peer into the separate elements. This is fine as long as I also have the Harbeth/Spendor. If I sell them as my only speaker it will be limiting IMO. Put differently, if I could have only one speaker I will not pick an ATC. Lastly as other have pointed out, on badly recorded music (many times unfortunately great compositions and singers) it sounded absolutely terrible :). Again, another reason I wouldn't get it if this was my one and only speaker. As one among multiple speakers I'd definitely say it is a strong contender.

One question I have, is there a marked difference between the V1 and V2 SCM19? From what I understand the V2 has the newer ATC inhouse tweeter.
You pretty much nailed it.

@vineetrad, from your opening post you seem to have almost made up your mind on ATC and looking for some endorsement here :)
I will help you. ATCs are honest and thats all. Analytical or Musical depends on what electronics and sources you use with it. Normally electronics which works at the same calibre as the ATC are expensive. Hence an active ATC makes sense. An ATC SCM20asl or SCM25asl would be superb if you have a good preamp. Else get a passive ATC and a good musical amp (preferably UK stuff).

All other speakers in this discussion are boring warm sounding one-trick ponies.

P.S Proac is very good if you go for their top end stuff. They are all large floorstanders:cool:
Have not looked at proacs for a while. Their top end gear looks amazing! Heard any of them ?

it sounded absolutely terrible :). Again, another reason I wouldn't get it if this was my one and only speaker. As one among multiple speakers I'd definitely say it is a strong contender.

You've pretty much reached the conclusion my friend. Some tradeoffs are inevitable, changing the speakers once in a while is the only way going forward.

I've heard Atc SCM 40 & SCM 11s in both V1 and V2 but not SCM 19s. V2 are quite an upgrade over the V1. Apart from better Tweeters, the cabinet geometry and the corresponding crossover changes are quite remarkable. Hopefully that helps.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back