Problem connecting WD to Onkyo 5105 with optical cable

hr1981

HI ,
I am not getting any sound from HT when connecting WD media player to it through optical cable ...I did some ground work & looks like brandridge optical cable is not supported in WD ...is it true???It's a brand new 1 :sad:

Also i am not sure if the setiings i am trying are correct.If any one already using can suggest the settings can be very helpfull

Check you media player's Audio settings. I had Omega Media Player and i had to change the Audio output to optical. Earlier it was set to HDMI. Also after changing player's settings check for the Amp Input Settings. You must select the proper input where you've connected the optical cable.

I connected my STB's Audio thru optical cable and video thru HDMI. Then i had to change the settings in Amp to get both audio and video.

Hope that helps..

Cheers..!!

I have tried with different ouputs of Media player by chainging it to digital from stereo but it didn't work out..also i have tried by setting the input mode of HT to optical 1...& optical 2..but nothing happens..

thanks for the quick responce though

For video what you are using, component or HDMI ? Are you getting sound thru HDMI ?

If you are using HDMI for video then in the Amp you've to change the Audio input. If you simply select optical 1 or 2 then it wont show you the video.

In the AVR you can specify the audio input for a particular HDMI. Lets take an example -

I have 2 HDMI and 2 optical inputs in my AVR. Lets say HDMI1, HDMI2, Opt1 and Opt2. Now i use HDMI1 in my STB for video and connect opt1 with the optical cable for the audio. I've to change the audio setting in STB here to output the audio from optical cable. I change that. Now i go to my AVR settings and go to HDMI1. There i change the Audio input from HDMI1 to Opt1. I am done now. :) I can change the audio to Opt2 also if i am connecting optical cable in Opt2 slot.

Hope anyone having same media player explains the settings to you but this is how i have done my settings.

Cheers...!!

I am connected directly to my LCd with HDMI for video from my WD on HDMI 2 (this gives audio too). For audio from HT i used optical cable & connected it to HT on optical 1 & optical 2 ..but no luck :rolleyes:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back