Problem with the XTZ 12.17 Edge

Tuhin Lavania

Hello Guys..
So i bought the Xtz 12.17 edge subwoofer a few days back. Initial experience was very underwhelming. I could barely get any output from the sub, it was all rumble and nothing else. But then it turned out that i was plugging the sub into a extension board connected to another board which was connected to the wall socket. So i plugged into the wall socket directly and that low output problem has vanished.
The problem now is, there is current being detected on the back of the sub and sometimes on the back of the avr. Called in the electrician, says the earthing is fine and nothing he can do with the issue.
Any insights into the problem? Any help will really be appreciated since im afraid to turn on the system since i detected current on the back of sub and avr.

Any insights into the problem? Any help will really be appreciated since im afraid to turn on the system since i detected current on the back of sub and avr.

Have you tried connecting the sub to some other plug in the house and checked?.. If you still get it there, then issue with subs internal amplifier..

Have you tried connecting the sub to some other plug in the house and checked?.. If you still get it there, then issue with subs internal amplifier..
No...i will check today. Actually i sent the sub back to the dealer when i was getting the low output problem, the dealer claimed there was no current issue at his place.
But i will connect to a different wall socket once i reach home. Thr avr gets the curremt too.

No...i will check today. Actually i sent the sub back to the dealer when i was getting the low output problem, the dealer claimed there was no current issue at his place. But i will connect to a different wall socket once i reach home. Thr avr gets the curremt too.

Ok.. Try to get an adaptor like this from nearest electrical store - https://www.amazon.in/Mx-Ac-Line-Fa...g+electrical+plug&qid=1568701615&sr=8-1-fkmr1 and plug it to the sockets where the AVR & subwoofer draws power from and look for the guidance listed on the adaptor if there is anything faulty..

Ok.. Try to get an adaptor like this from nearest electrical store - https://www.amazon.in/Mx-Ac-Line-Fa...g+electrical+plug&qid=1568701615&sr=8-1-fkmr1 and plug it to the sockets where the AVR & subwoofer draws power from and look for the guidance listed on the adaptor if there is anything faulty..
Allright, i will get it from nearby.
Also, is it safe to turn on the system with this issue? I mean, no one's puting hands back there, but is there a chance for the equipment to get damaged?

Also, is it safe to turn on the system with this issue? I mean, no one's puting hands back there, but is there a chance for the equipment to get damaged?

Get the adaptor sooner and check it.. Until the issue is fixed, try not to risk.. I understand, it is hard to resist with XTZ:)

Get the adaptor sooner and check it.. Until the issue is fixed, try not to risk.. I understand, it is hard to resist with XTZ:)
Yeah, its hard. Overall sound quality has increased so much. That too when i have a messed up room absolutely not capable of a HT setup.
Few scenes i have tested with the sub, Deadpool, Lone Survivor, Iron Man, Jurassic Park, Dark Knight and they sound great.

Besides getting an electric shock, it is not advisable for loose current flowing through sensitive ICs, resistors and Transistors of the AVR.......check the electric points at the earliest......recent incident at my inlaws place showed current flowing from the Neutral Side besides the regular Live one flowing. There was no Earthing (ground issue), the neutral wire had gone a bit worn out and was touching the Live wire....dampness was also there! Replaced the neutral wire and issue resolved for the whole house.....the fault was near the meter

As they are connected together as a loop the current will pass from one to another try breaking the loop by disconnecting each device and check for shock and isolate the source of current
or
take a copper wire,remove one screw from avr halfway and tie the copper wire and the other end to a iron rod and insert it in to ground this will definitely solve your issue

Last edited:
As they are connected together as a loop the current will pass from one to another try breaking the loop by disconnecting each device and check for shock and isolate the source of current
or
take a copper wire,remove one screw from avr halfway and tie the copper wire and the other end to a iron rod and insert it in to ground this will definitely solve your issue
Allright, will try this..

Apart from recommendations by fellow FMs , i would also like you to test following:
1. Check if there are any other devices connected to AVR that might be culprit like STB or DVD player or any other source. Connect only sub and remove the rest to check.
2. Check for faulty power cable of the AVR if you get current when everything is removed. Else change the power cord of Sub and connect it to AVR with all other sources removed. This is to isolate the fault.
3. Take Sub to a friend's house and test.
4. Bring a friends sub to your house and check.
5. Check if any other devices in the house in other rooms behaving badly.
6. Never run the devices with current free flowing that way as you shall hurt urself and also damage the ICs of the units.
7. The electric point where sub is connected , try connecting any other device and check via tester to see if there is a stray current.
8. Search for another electrician, that has experience in electrical gadgets repair like a TV repair guy to come to ur house and check. They understand the electrical charges better for obvious reasons.
9. Take the sub to dealer with AVR and check at his place before asking for replacement if all the above is checked to be ok.

Get a good power strip instead of using extension boards. You will end up frying your avr , amp & whatever is in the chain.

Get a good power strip instead of using extension boards. You will end up frying your avr , amp & whatever is in the chain.
very true .... stereo amp got burnt and since it is connected to avr, it fried the sub preouts in avr also.
Suggest some power strips if you know please ....

I get the current problem in my Laptop too, which is in another room of the house, never cared plugging anywhere else in the house.
And yes, please suggest a power strip for the system please.
Im lucky it hasnt damaged anything since im using my avr for quite sometime now, around 9 months.

I get the current problem in my Laptop too, which is in another room of the house, never cared plugging anywhere else in the house.
And yes, please suggest a power strip for the system please.
Im lucky it hasnt damaged anything since im using my avr for quite sometime now, around 9 months.
Well after spending all the time in trying different subwoofer placements and settings :)

Check your electrical wiring from experienced electrician from main board to your avr/subwoofer supply board. Some time electrician by mistake connect live wire connection to neutral connection in board socket. Some time some worn out wires comes in contact with each other and causes the leakage current problem. Some times very old wiring also causes the problem due to improper wiring, grounding , issues. Grounding the equipment is another solution suggested by FM . Make sure to do all this with the help of experience person so that you can't face any problem in future. Though not for your equipment's but for you and family safety get the problem solve.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back