Problem with Yamaha RXV361 Record Out jacks

howard

I am trying to get sound out of the MD/CD-R Record Out jacks. As far as I understand, these jacks should output any sound that the receiver produces based on its input selection (I am attempting to attach a wireless bluetooth transmitter to these jacks to send the receiver output to my wireless headphones.)

When I select the Tuner input, I get radio sounds out of these jacks with no problem. However, when I select the CD input, nothing comes out of these jacks even though I get sound from the speakers.

This lack of output also occurs when I select the DVT/CBL input (both CD and DVT/CBL are using the optical input ports).

Why am I not getting sound from the Rec Out jacks using these inputs? Am I completely misunderstanding what these output jacks do?

I am trying to get sound out of the MD/CD-R Record Out jacks. As far as I understand, these jacks should output any sound that the receiver produces based on its input selection (I am attempting to attach a wireless bluetooth transmitter to these jacks to send the receiver output to my wireless headphones.)

When I select the Tuner input, I get radio sounds out of these jacks with no problem. However, when I select the CD input, nothing comes out of these jacks even though I get sound from the speakers.

This lack of output also occurs when I select the DVT/CBL input (both CD and DVT/CBL are using the optical input ports).

Why am I not getting sound from the Rec Out jacks using these inputs? Am I completely misunderstanding what these output jacks do?

Because these connectors are meant for analogue only signals - which your tuner is transmitting.

I am assuming you have a device hooked up with the digital input connections - either your DVDP or set top box. If this is the case then you need to hook up your wireless phones through digital. This is what the manual has to say

"Please keep in mind that if there is a device that is connected to the receiver via digital optical cable for example; DVD player or Digital Cable Box, there will not be any sound output coming out of the analog outputs. Connections would have to be made from the digital outputs on the receiver to the wireless headphone unit and the wireless headphones would have to have the ability to decode digital audio signals"

Thank you for your reply.

I was not able to find the section you quoted in the Yamaha RX-V361 manual. Could you please provide a page number?

I am using the optical digital input to the receiver because this is the only output type my HDTV provides (my TV receives all the inputs from TiVo, DVD player, etc. and I want to send the audio from these devices wirelessly through bluetooth).

However, on page 17 of the Yamaha manual, it shows that you can provide either digital or analog inputs to the CD inputs and that one should still be able to get a signal from the REC OUT jacks. According to this diagram, what I am doing should work, and I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't.

In fact, there are no digital outputs on the RX-V361 receiver, so your suggestion doesn't solve my problem.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for your reply.

I was not able to find the section you quoted in the Yamaha RX-V361 manual. Could you please provide a page number?

I am using the optical digital input to the receiver because this is the only output type my HDTV provides (my TV receives all the inputs from TiVo, DVD player, etc. and I want to send the audio from these devices wirelessly through bluetooth).

However, on page 17 of the Yamaha manual, it shows that you can provide either digital or analog inputs to the CD inputs and that one should still be able to get a signal from the REC OUT jacks. According to this diagram, what I am doing should work, and I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't.

In fact, there are no digital outputs on the RX-V361 receiver, so your suggestion doesn't solve my problem.

Any other ideas?

If you review page 17 of the manual, it specifies that

"When you connect your CD player via analog and digital
connection, priority is given to the signal input at the DIGITAL
INPUT jack."

So the receiver is going to process digital as a higher priority even if you have connected the same unit via analgoue as well. Also on the same page you will observe that digital connection is an ALTERNATIVE and analogue is the RECOMMENDED connectoin (solid line).

So as you intend to use CDR/MD connections, you should completely remove the digital connection from yoru CDP to the 361 and use only analgoue (red/white) wires. SO here is something to try and let us know the results.

1. connect the CDP only via analogue
2. keep the MD/CDR connection as is currently. Do you get the CD signal via the headphones? IF yes, then your only option is to connect the STB via analogue as well.

Let us know what happens.

Also for your reference to your other question, read the info under

"How do I connect wireles headphones to Yamaha receiver?" athe link below

Yamaha FAQ

If you review page 17 of the manual, it specifies that

"When you connect your CD player via analog and digital
connection, priority is given to the signal input at the DIGITAL
INPUT jack."

So the receiver is going to process digital as a higher priority even if you have connected the same unit via analgoue as well.

I plugged in an analog source to the CD analog jacks and did get output from the REC OUT jacks. But interestingly, I had the Optical CD input also connected and this did not stop the analog signal from being sent to the REC OUT jacks. In fact, it made no difference whether the optical CD input was connected or not.
Also on the same page you will observe that digital connection is an ALTERNATIVE and analogue is the RECOMMENDED connectoin (solid line).

True, it's recommended (whatever that means) but the fact that the diagram shows the alternative implies that either should work.

So as you intend to use CDR/MD connections, you should completely remove the digital connection from yoru CDP to the 361 and use only analgoue (red/white) wires. SO here is something to try and let us know the results.

1. connect the CDP only via analogue
2. keep the MD/CDR connection as is currently. Do you get the CD signal via the headphones? IF yes, then your only option is to connect the STB via analogue as well.

As mentioned above, this did work. However, the diagram showing the alternative method of input (i.e. via the digital input) clearly shows that you should expect signal out the REC OUT jacks. Unfortunately, I can not get anything from the optical input to come out of the REC OUT jacks. As far as I have been able to determine, there is nothing in the manual that indicates that sending a digital signal through the digital input would prevent that signal from coming out the REC OUT jacks.

It may be that this is not possible, but the manual does not indicate this--in fact it implies the opposite. The way I'm dealing with it now is taking the feed from the headphone jack in front and sending that to the bluetooth transmitter. But this requires me to unplug the headphone jack if I want sound from my speakers (the headphone jack cuts off the speakers if there is a plug in it). It would be much easier if the REC OUT jacks worked.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back