Project Revelation 15 Inch Open Baffle - Inspired by BD Designs

sadik

Hi Friends

I am back again with a new project, Its from B D Designs named REVELATION, The original one has 12 inch drivers, but the one which I am making will be using 15 inch woofers. This is an Open Baffle Subwoofer project which will run in active mode. It will have 4 Nos, 15 inch woofers from BEYMA (Model 15P80FeN)

It’s very complex design, and it needs some engineering skills to understand the drawing itself. This will be the toughest built in my entire life span till date. My job here is to make the enclosure, So my only scope of work is to build the enclosure as per drawings.

So if there are any design related question I won’t be able to answer so, I am apologizing for same in the begining.

Lets get started. So as I said below its very complex design, Below is the Drawing of the design. (Not Detailed)

Assembly Revelation Rev - 3.jpg
The cutting is done on CNC router, it is almost impossible to cut them with hand tools.
Revelation (1).jpeg

I will update the thread later. Right now i dont have much time to continue with the thread. Soon there will be updates.

Hi Friends

I am back again with a new project, Its from B D Designs named REVELATION, The original one has 12 inch drivers, but the one which I am making will be using 15 inch woofers. This is an Open Baffle Subwoofer project which will run in active mode. It will have 4 Nos, 15 inch woofers from BEYMA (Model 15P80FeN)

It’s very complex design, and it needs some engineering skills to understand the drawing itself. This will be the toughest built in my entire life span till date. My job here is to make the enclosure, So my only scope of work is to build the enclosure as per drawings.

So if there are any design related question I won’t be able to answer so, I am apologizing for same in the begining.

Lets get started. So as I said below its very complex design, Below is the Drawing of the design. (Not Detailed)

View attachment 76064
The cutting is done on CNC router, it is almost impossible to cut them with hand tools.
View attachment 76065

I will update the thread later. Right now i dont have much time to continue with the thread. Soon there will be updates.
Will be following with a lot of interest, as it seems to be heavily modified from a ripole design.

Where is the mid-hi?
Mid Hi will be compression driver with Horn, It is already purchased and is with the client.

So posting my further updates. Below is the assembly of the Partition of Both Drivers. I think this also gives directive to the sound.
Revelation (8).jpeg

Below is the Photo of the Mounting baffle of the Driver. The Driver will be Mounted on this Baffle facing inside
Revelation (7).jpeg
Some more photos .
Revelation (2).jpeg
Revelation (3).jpegRevelation (4).jpeg

Below is the Photo of Assembly of Both
Revelation (5).jpeg
Revelation (6).jpeg

Now before final assembly i will apply Primer on them, because after assembly it will be difficult to do so. I will keep updating in my next post.

Mid Hi will be compression driver with Horn, It is already purchased and is with the client.

Thanks for posting, but I meant I couldn't see where the mid-hi will be in the drawings you posted. Could you elaborate or perhaps post the full design/drawing if the posted one is incomplete?

Right now i don't have any idea, but I will reply you once i get the details.

The Back Panel is removeable

Thank you.

I am not that familiar with OB and usually don't read up on it, the design with a short horn is interesting, maybe it is meant to make up the sensitivity to the CD in the midbass or perhaps there is some other rationale. Either way I do find the design interesting and appreciate the post. In the horn's passband it will help with output and output is why I don't do OB so something like this may be an option to try out later. So thanks again.

Happy journeys.

By the way what is the designs maximum output? Continuous.

Oh man...seeing all these OB DIY makes me wanna dip my toes in this...maybe with some help of the FMs here (of course it will be a paid contract)...given my liking for low powered tube amps, this avenue seems perfect. Keep us updated, i can only drool! And great work to OP, this looks immensely well done and totally professional 👍😃

Update.
I have started the gluing of enclosure, But before that i had done primer coat on all the pieces, there will be some blind spots where it will be difficult to apply paint after final assembly, hence I will be doing the painting job of those portions before assembly of those baffles, so during final paint i will only have to do just light touchup.

Below are some photos after gluing
Revelation (9).jpegRevelation (10).jpegRevelation (11).jpegRevelation (12).jpegRevelation (13).jpegRevelation (14).jpeg

What would be the expected SPL @ 1watt/1meter
I Dont know what will be the expected SPL, but the make of driver is "Beyma" & Model no of the Driver is "15P80Fe/N" The published spl is 101 db @ 1 Watt / 1 Mtr.

Comming on Updates.
5-may (1).jpeg5-may (2).jpeg5-may (3).jpeg5-may (11).jpeg

After assembly of Back Baffle, the Primer is done. This Baffle is removable so that drivers can be fitted easily.
5-may (8).jpeg5-may (7).jpeg5-may (9).jpeg5-may (6).jpeg5-may (5).jpeg
5-may (10).jpeg

Update.
Pre-Assembly at my Works.
Pre assembly (1).jpegPre assembly (2).jpegPre assembly (3).jpegPre assembly (4).jpegPre assembly (5).jpegPre assembly (6).jpeg

The Enclosures have reached the destination. Some assembly Photos.
Rough Assembly.jpeg
31-5-23 (1).jpeg31-5-23 (2).jpeg31-5-23 (3).jpeg31-5-23 (4).jpeg31-5-23 (6).jpeg31-5-23 (7).jpeg

Once again a complex project completed successfully, And Once they are placed at their final listening position I will share the Final Photos in my next post.

Attachments

• 31-5-23 (9).jpeg
    31-5-23 (9).jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 29
Update.

Once again a complex project completed successfully, And Once they are placed at their final listening position I will share the Final Photos in my next post.
I am wondering how much vibration from the 4 woofers gets transferred from the OB box to the horn profile. If significant then it could color the mids and highs which unfortunately cannot be corrected by DSP.

Maybe using a 5-8 mm thick felt below the horn could damp some of the vibration from the OB box. The best solution will be a complete isolation from the OB box which will require an out of box thinking and design.

I am wondering how much vibration from the 4 woofers gets transferred from the OB box to the horn profile. If significant then it could color the mids and highs which unfortunately cannot be corrected by DSP.

Maybe using a 5-8 mm thick felt below the horn could damp some of the vibration from the OB box. The best solution will be a complete isolation from the OB box which will require an out of box thinking and design.
The woofers are opposing each other mechanically so the mechanical forces are cancelled. There are no vibrations as a result

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back