Projector Shelf Ideas

soamz

Did not find an extensive thread for projector shelf ideas, as Im looking to decide one for my theatre room , so here is a thread with some ideas and then you guys may share yours and also tell, why you decided to have it that way, etc.

Here are few ideas :

pj-mounted-ht-howto.jpg

IMG_5300.JPG

lone-star-hush-box.jpg

165_6551.JPG

58090.jpg

projector.jpg

Projector-shelf.jpg

06f206bb_IMG_20120702_002537.jpeg

36066d1156410214-projector-ceiling-mounted-cabinet-reduce-noise-ideas-advice-dsc00010s.jpg

100_projector-300.jpg

pjinbox.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-07%20at%2012.48.24%20PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks.
Im actually confused about where to place mine.

My details :

Room size : 14 x 20.
Projector : Epson tw8100
Screen : 150 inch 16:9 fixed

So, Im not sure, whether to make the shelf on the end of the room like in IMAGE 1 or the middle length of the room like in IMAGE 3 with a ceiling mount.

Im actually loving the simple design of IMAGE 1 , but just not sure, if the screen to PJ distance of 20 ft will be okay for the screen for the image projection or not. No idea. Help me with that.

don't have any installed one snap in my pc right now. let me take one and share.

In India, there is a lot of dust accumulation. So I will strongly advise against any closed enclosures.

I particularly liked the glass shelf (no. 8).

In India, there is a lot of dust accumulation. So I will strongly advise against any closed enclosures.

I particularly liked the glass shelf (no. 8).

Exactly. 7 and 8, the glass ones. But for that it has to be on the rear wall all the way from the front.

That is what I'm confused, whether to make the self there or ceiling mount at 15 ft from the projector.

Depending upon the Projector and screen size- your distance calculator will tell you where to mount the projector- It could end up on the wall or in the middle of the room.

If you go with 8--- Note the projector is flipped over-- feet are pointing to the ceiling- and has a blue towel underneath it.

Every time you take projector down for maintenance- you will have to realign the projector with the screen.

If you want a clean professional appearance- go with a ceiling mount- with the wires concealed in the pipe-

Exactly. 7 and 8, the glass ones. But for that it has to be on the rear wall all the way from the front.

That is what I'm confused, whether to make the self there or ceiling mount at 15 ft from the projector.

Putting it on the back wall will make the PJ lens about 18 feet away from the screen. Not going to be be any noticeable drop in lumens if you put it just 3 feet further away from the minimum required distance.

Here is one that I am currently using, bought it off Ebay for 950 bucks. And the answer to your query is - hold the projector in the 2 places where you want to fix it and look at the size of the image,PQ, etc and then take a call on what to do. Even of you fix it at the back, you could fiddle around with the size, but you will need to look at the quality of the image before taking a final decision.

One point to note. The epson weighs about 9kg. So make sure whatever you use, it's capable of holding that much weight.

Putting it on the back wall will make the PJ lens about 18 feet away from the screen. Not going to be be any noticeable drop in lumens if you put it just 3 feet further away from the minimum required distance.

Awesome..

So, we are good to go with the back panel thing then at the rear wall ? :clapping:

Do an experiment--
Place the projector on a small table and shoot an 150 inch diagonal "bright" image on the wall from about 15 feet. Mark the 4 corners of the image with tape

Freeze the image on your bluray player.

Move the table and Projector back to 18 feet and resize the image to 150 inch diagonal and see if you notice any difference in the image- brightness, contrast depth.

Repeat the same experiment with a "dark" image- see if you notice any difference in the image- brightness, contrast depth.

If you notice a degradation in the image quality -- suggest you keep the projector at 15 feet-- if not you can wall mount it at 18 feet

I am also planning to go for a shelf like in Pic No. 1

But the problem is I cant decide the height. Room height is 10 feet.

Will be having a sofa underneath the shelf so it should be high enough that no one's head gets banged into it and should be low enough so that one doesnt have to look up very high.

Height of the screen is not a problem as I am using a wall.

Will post the solution here is I find one.

Usually there will be a mounting range from which a particular screen size can be achieved by a projector. You need to find that range first. From my DSLR lens experience, every lens has a sweet spot where it gives the maximum sharpness within a zoom range, usually it will be near the center of the zoom range, so that the light passes through the middle of the lens. I believe it will be applicable in all lens esp a zoom lens in a projector.

So what I usually do is to find the range where a particular screen size can be achieved and mount the projector at the center of this range so that the lens doesnt need a zoom in / out. Its a place where the light:sharpness ratio are in the acceptable limits w/o any issues wrt the lens. At the extremes, either a pin cushion / barrel distortion issue can happen.

I also strongly feel about the professional ceiling mount appearance. The other option is a projector lift.

Further with false ceiling several wires/cables can also be run without they being visible with the huge wind fall of getting a chance to install various types of lights which may not be possible or look good without a false ceiling.

V.

If you want a clean professional appearance- go with a ceiling mount- with the wires concealed in the pipe-

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back