Proposed HTPC build specs - comments required

Athulan

Hi there HTPC experts,

Proposing a HTPC build with following specs. Please comment...

First my requirements:-

1. No gaming absolutely
2. Rip DVD's often; BD-ROM's occasionally
3. Watching HD and SD movies. Already have a Pioneer BD player. This HTPC would be connected to my Onkyo HT-S3500 using HDMI cable. Output would be routed to my existing BenQ projector or proposed x30d plasma by using a hdmi splitter (This is to enable family to watch tata sky (SD) and low-res movies) :lol:
4. No need for recording TV, youtube etc.
5. Not planning to go the NAS way
6. About 6-8 tb of internal storage
7. Wireless required (only for Keyboard+mouse)
8. Need plenty of USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports

For the above requirements, after browsing through HFV and other threads, have decided upon-

-Processor*: intel i3 2100 or 2100t (not sure what the "t" postfix means)
-Mobo: Asus P8H67 or equivalent
-GPU: GT 440 or GT 520 (fanless and hence attractive) (can hear Sam swearing by GT 440 ;)
-Cabinet: Cooler master or Zebronics with max 400 w psu (not looking for media center cabinet) (should have plenty of internal bays for HDD's)

-RAM: 2 x 2GB corsair

-HDD: max overall 8tb - Seagate or WD (will start with, say 2TB and will be adding hdd's in phases, say once in 4-5 months) (Not looking at SSD - does not seem to be worth it)

-BD drive: LG or ASUS (are BD read + DVD write drives available?)

-Suitable remote from HP, wireless keyboard+mouse from Logitech/Belkin

-Would be running XBMC on top of Win7 Premium

Budget: 35k max:D

* If a Dual Core G620 is enough for my above stated requirements, then would go for it along with suitable mobo (cost significantly comes down).

Please comment and give your suggestions on the specs - particularly if anything would be an overkill. Thanks in advance.

Athulan

Hi,

AMD Llano APU is also highly recommended for HTPC and would be cost effective compared to i3 build as GPU is not needed.

AMD Trinity A Series Desktop APU series will be releasing soon. The netbook Trinity APU processors were released last month and the review was good especially in graphics.

-Sunil

The components that I have ordered for a new htpc are:

Motherboard - Asus F1A75M - Rs. 6850/-
CPU - AMD A6 3500 triple core Rs. 3975/-
Memory - Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333 - Rs.1250/-
PSU - Corsair Builder Series VS 450 - Rs. 2550/-
Case - Silverstone Milo ML03 - Rs.4650
PSU and case are from primeabgb.com and the price is inclusive of shipping.

what baiju said. If you want to go intel way,
G620, + Gigabyte H61 + 8 GB DDR3 (4GB is enough though) + Any graphics card + 3 X 2 TB HDD + PSU case mentioned by baiju. Even a core2Duo is more than sufficient for HD. If you want your movie rips and encodes to be faster, go for i3 2100 else go with celeron G620. save money by not going for H67 and going for H61 motherboard. H67 has features you might not use.

@ baijuxavior

Since these APUs support higher clock rated memory modules, it would have been good if you go by 1600 Mhz / 1866 Mhz RAM. I heard it boosts the A Series Onchip graphics very much (doesn't matter if you are going with dedicated graphics though).

It supports 1600/1866 MHz Ram. But I already ordered the components. For htpc 1333MHz is enough.

+1 - i helped my cousin with an A6 3500 and a cheap A55 board HTPC but if u want USB/SATA III an A75 board is the way to go!

Hi there HTPC experts,

Proposing a HTPC build with following specs. Please comment...

First my requirements:-

1. No gaming absolutely
2. Rip DVD's often; BD-ROM's occasionally
3. Watching HD and SD movies. Already have a Pioneer BD player. This HTPC would be connected to my Onkyo HT-S3500 using HDMI cable. Output would be routed to my existing BenQ projector or proposed x30d plasma by using a hdmi splitter (This is to enable family to watch tata sky (SD) and low-res movies) :lol:
4. No need for recording TV, youtube etc.
5. Not planning to go the NAS way
6. About 6-8 tb of internal storage
7. Wireless required (only for Keyboard+mouse)
8. Need plenty of USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports

For the above requirements, after browsing through HFV and other threads, have decided upon-

-Processor*: intel i3 2100 or 2100t (not sure what the "t" postfix means)
-Mobo: Asus P8H67 or equivalent
-GPU: GT 440 or GT 520 (fanless and hence attractive) (can hear Sam swearing by GT 440 ;)
-Cabinet: Cooler master or Zebronics with max 400 w psu (not looking for media center cabinet) (should have plenty of internal bays for HDD's)

-RAM: 2 x 2GB corsair

-HDD: max overall 8tb - Seagate or WD (will start with, say 2TB and will be adding hdd's in phases, say once in 4-5 months) (Not looking at SSD - does not seem to be worth it)

-BD drive: LG or ASUS (are BD read + DVD write drives available?)

-Suitable remote from HP, wireless keyboard+mouse from Logitech/Belkin

-Would be running XBMC on top of Win7 Premium

Budget: 35k max:D

* If a Dual Core G620 is enough for my above stated requirements, then would go for it along with suitable mobo (cost significantly comes down).

Please comment and give your suggestions on the specs - particularly if anything would be an overkill. Thanks in advance.

Athulan

Hi Frnd,

Processor: intel G620
-Mobo: Asus P8H67
-GPU: Zotac GT440
-Cabinet: Cooler master

-RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance

-HDD: max overall 8tb - Seagate barracuda or WD cavair blue

-BD drive: LG

-Suitable remote from HP, wireless keyboard+mouse from Logitech

This makes a budget and rocking configuration :yahoo:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back