Protouch Universal remote UR-501L

shredder

When it comes to universal remote one usually thinks of the Logitech range of harmony remotes. And why not? They are sleek, have all the frills and most importantly, they are very functional. If they have one drawback it is this: they are quite expensive (unless, you come across those grab-it-quick deals like the time on eBay when it was going for 1.5k . yes Rs. 1500/-). But for those of us who do not want to spend in excess of a thousand, there are options available. The PROTOUCH Universal Remote UR-501L is one such remote.

This remote is not the only option in the below 1k category though. There are a number of no-name Chinese remotes and a few entry level Philips ones as well. I had wrongly assumed earlier that the Protouch remote was a Chinese make. I stand corrected. It is made in India which is a good thing. I had earlier purchased a Philips universal remote which could control only three devices: TV, DVD and STB. It is a very basic remote and while it works with most brands, it has extremely limited functionality. For example, it worked for basic functions with my Panasonic plasma TV, but I could not change the aspect ratio with this remote. Neither could I access the SD card function. The problem was that there was no way to assign functions to particular keys. It either worked or it did not. So I got a Protouch 501L.

The first thing about the 501L is that it lacks aesthetic appeal ( I wasnt looking for any, by the by). Its not the kind of thing you look at twice. But looks can be deceiving and this was the case for the 501L. As the cover boasts, it works with more than 800 brands. In all probability your brand will be included in the remotes database. But in the unlikely event that it isnt, there is still a workaround. The remote has a feature called the intelligent learning function, and I cant begin to even tell you how useful this feature is. This feature allows your universal remote to copy any function of your old remote (provided, of course, that the old remote is working). This also implies that you can customize your remote any way you want. Thus I was able to program the 501L in such a way that I copied all the functions of my Seagate Free Agent Theatre + remote to the universal remote (the FAT+ is not listed among the brands). So it is safe to assume that this remote will work with all brands across the spectrum. The remote can control up to 5 devices.

If I had to look for faults I'd say that the number buttons are very small. The buttons are all marked with an ink which looks like it is going to fade quickly over time (I may be wrong though, and I will be very happy to be proved wrong in this case). The buttons could have been back-lit but at the price I am not complaining. The bottom line is that for the price, you cant get any better.

Hi,
I have been using this Sony Universal remote VL600 (8 devices) with learning capabilty. It is a very simple & easy to use remote, with a typical Sony layout for the buttons.
I got it for appx $17 (Rs. 780 appx). Its currently available for $20.99 on amazon.com and I high would highly recommend it if you can grab one.
Amazon.com: Sony RM-VL600 8-Device Universal Learning Remote: Electronics

no no.... it's available for 499/- free shipping also.... on eBay India

Universal 5in1 Remote Control at Rs. 499/- | eBay

I booked the same and got it delivered today. Its very good and works with the respective codes for my sony lcd tv and dishtv hd box and the samsung dvd player. Yet to try lg bluray player mapping. The attached manual lists out the codes for most of the brands.

The Protouch universal remote has been delivered today. config. tatasky . However, unable to config the following items thru direct code input and also search method. Not tried the learning method.

1. Samsung Blu Ray player BD-D3100
2. Onkyo AV Receiver HT-R380
3. Vu 46" LCD TV.

If some one has the code for these items pl share .

The Protouch universal remote has been delivered today. config. tatasky . However, unable to config the following items thru direct code input and also search method. Not tried the learning method.

1. Samsung Blu Ray player BD-D3100
2. Onkyo AV Receiver HT-R380
3. Vu 46" LCD TV.

If some one has the code for these items pl share .

Congrats.

Did you try all the codes listed in the manual? I was able to get my Samsung dvd player to work with the code
Samsung - 0573/0744/1932/1928 - 0744 worked for me
Onkyo - 1320/0135 - Not sure to confirm as I do not have the onkyo player
Unfortunately Vu is not listed in the manual. You need to google I hope so...

Congrats.

Did you try all the codes listed in the manual? I was able to get my Samsung dvd player to work with the code

Onkyo few keys do not work e.g. power, setup, audio. just the basic function works e.g. media selection, volume.
Please anyone has used the learning option in this remote. I followed the instruction as given in the manual, but unsuccessful. Did not try a lot, as my wife and kid were not allowing me to spend time on it. Below are my devices, if anyone were able to add successfully, please let me know.

Panasonic X30 - I tried the search method, got the signal but it does not learn 'OK' key on the remote.
Xtreamer sidewinder
Onkyo 3300

Congrats.

I tried all execpt learning method since it takes long time. Nothing matched for Onkyo and samsung Bluray player. I will spend time with the remote/s during the weekend and if successful will post it in this forum.

In the weekend I spent some with setting up the remote in learning mode. Wow its works. Now I am controlling my plasma, onkyo 3300 and xtreamer on single remote.

In the weekend I spent some with setting up the remote in learning mode. Wow its works. Now I am controlling my plasma, onkyo 3300 and xtreamer on single remote.
How many keys are learnt by it for xtreamer? And which are those? It will be great to know.

I am unable to config onkyo 3300 to the full extend.. on/off, volume works.. for VU TV only on/off works.. unable to config for port selection... Can anyone help.

Bought this remote thru ebay. Am using it for 4 devices
1. Denon 1911
2. WD TV Live
3. LG HS201 LED projector
4. Hathway set-top box
All of them work like a charm. You need to use the "learning" mode and manually configure the buttons and that works incredibly well.
Couldn't use it to control the PS3 - I presume that is because the PS3 remote is bluetooth while this is IR !

@krishnasrs - Did you use learning mode. Please follow the steps given in the booklet. Also once you go to learning mode select the button to be learnt on the protouch quickly. If delayed, you will be out of the learning mode.
With this learning function, its sure you can make it to work to any device with working remote which works on IR.

But Sad that this has limited memory. None of the codes mentioned have all buttons programmed :sad: . So for addln buttons you have to learn the missed buttons. In this process after learning 2 devices, there is no more memory left to learning the 3 & 4th device :sad:

@vin eme - I am running 3 devices on this remote. I set my TV and onkyo 3300 codes on the remote, then for missed buttons used learning mode. It is working fine. after that added 3rd device (xtreamer)

@vin eme - I am running 3 devices on this remote. I set my TV and onkyo 3300 codes on the remote, then for missed buttons used learning mode. It is working fine. after that added 3rd device (xtreamer)

Approximately how many addln buttons you have learned ?? Spoke to SRV telecom, for protouch support, they say it can accommodate 42 addln learning buttons not more than that. Mine, i tried for 20 buttons and it ran out of memory. :sad:

After adding TV and onkyo via code, for xtreamer I added 26 buttons (counting in my head)
For Tv +1 button
onkyo +3 button

Total = 30 buttons

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back