PS3 or Blu-Ray Player?

pokayoke

Hi

I have Sony DVD player NS628P (with component out, no HDMI) which is connected to 40-inch Samsung LED. Somehow feeling that not using the HDTV to its's max potential. Now want to upgrade the player and confused between PS3 and a stand-alone blu-ray player.

I watch lots of DVD/BR-rips (HDD directly connected to TV) and lots of DVDs. Once I have a blu-ray player might shift to BDs; but then also DVD usage will be high. I am not that much into gaming but if I go with PS3 then might buy few discs like FIFA, Killzone, GTA4 - but will be an occasional gamer only.

Primary requirements are great picture quality - DVD upscaling (if at all that is not a myth); future-proof and region free playback (the most important).

Ready to shell out 19k for PS3 but apprehensive about spending that much for a stand-alone player. I'll be building a home theater in near future and my this purchase will be the only video source.

Need advice from Pros on which will be a more sensible choice for me. Thanks in advance!

If you are an occasional gamer, then given a choice between the two, you will HAVE to go with PS3 right?:)
Also, as far as region is concerned, PS3 cannot be made region free (as far as i know); there are some modded Blu Ray players available but they are a little expensive.
A good bet is to go for a Region A PS3 (most blu rays sold in india are region free)

PS: There are some Panasonic BD players (BDT110, 210 etc..) available that can be made region free for DVD and Blu Ray via "Enhanced Firmware"
Fellow members, correct me if I am wrong, dont want to provide incorrrect information.

Last edited:
PS3 is region-free. Got this info from some hunting around internet today...

BUT there is a catch... Although the player is region-free, the disc's may NOT be! So you just need to be sure that the discs you buy are not region locked. This holds true even for their game titles as the region locking is entirely dependent on the game developers... So it drains down to the game/movie studio owners if they release their titles as locked or free...

BTW, I was researching coz I was planning to get the LOTR Ex-Ed BD from Amazon UK but its region locked v/s the one sold on Amazon US that is region free... I've a phat PS3 30GB since around 4 years now and have never felt like needing anything other/more! It serves my needs, movies/music/games/streaming/et al.

PS3 is region-free ONLY FOR GAMES.

It is not region-free for blu-rays and DVDs. A PS3 bought in India will be region-locked to Region C for blu-rays and Region 5 for DVDs. And it will obviously play region-free DVDs and blu-rays.

As pointed out earlier, most blu-rays sold in India are region-free. However, your old DVD collection might have many discs from different regions. Be wary of the fact that you will only be able to play region-free DVDs and Region 5 DVDs on an Indian PS3.

Hi

I have Sony DVD player NS628P (with component out, no HDMI) which is connected to 40-inch Samsung LED. Somehow feeling that not using the HDTV to its's max potential. Now want to upgrade the player and confused between PS3 and a stand-alone blu-ray player.

I watch lots of DVD/BR-rips (HDD directly connected to TV) and lots of DVDs. Once I have a blu-ray player might shift to BDs; but then also DVD usage will be high. I am not that much into gaming but if I go with PS3 then might buy few discs like FIFA, Killzone, GTA4 - but will be an occasional gamer only.

Primary requirements are great picture quality - DVD upscaling (if at all that is not a myth); future-proof and region free playback (the most important).

Ready to shell out 19k for PS3 but apprehensive about spending that much for a stand-alone player. I'll be building a home theater in near future and my this purchase will be the only video source.

Need advice from Pros on which will be a more sensible choice for me. Thanks in advance!

There is an earlier thread on the same topic I posted some time back, the prices are a bit old but there is quite a bit of discussion that happened

http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...rs/16023-ps3-vs-dedicated-blu-ray-player.html

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back