PS3 vs dedicated Blu-Ray Player

haisaikat

I am starting this new thred since I am not able to post in one of the old existing threads at http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...sony-bdp-s350-vs-pana-dmp-bd30.html#post29862

Just found,Sadly, pana DMP-BD30 doesn't sport decoders for Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD or DTS HD Master Audio, so we will only get decoded Dolby Digital and DTS from 5.1-channel analogue outputs. All of which means that the only way to hear high-resolution audio formats is via the HDMI output.

PS3 is useless for A/Vreceivers that can't handle LPCM over HDMI because it Lacks bitstream output, which is available on standalone Blu-ray players like the Panasonic DMP-BD30, but PS3 does have all decoders, but doesn't have 5.1 channel analog outputs.otherwise PS3 is still a very strong option.

I know this is a very old post i am replying to but can someone help me understand the following?
1. If I am going to purchase a Denon 1911 then can it handle LPCM over HDMI if I am going to use PS3 as my BDP.
2. What advantage will I have for having 5.1 channel analog outputs that PS3 lacks considering that I will buy Denon 1911 AVR?

Please note that I have not purchased PS3 though but condering it since it costs lesser than some of the advanced BDP and gives me additional gaming support although I am not a gamer and moreover playing capability of files like divx etc is already being handled by my ASUS O!Play Air media player.

Please also post other feedbacks or suggestions on making a decision on PS3 vs dedicated BDP for BD playing.

The new PS3 is capable of even Bitstreaming HD Audio so you can't go wrong with it with a 1911 and since you also have the intention of playing games on it so its the best bet for you, otherwise these days a dedicated BD player is much cheaper.

best news that now ps3 is cracked so u can download the games and play on...

I have seen my frens ps3 connected to his yamaha av rec, sony bravia 40' inch LCD and klipsch quintet 2 with a Klipsch 10' sub...the clarity is mind boggling...sound was jst awesome, we tried 5.1 set up. We will try 7.1 sooner, but overall deadly combo!

go for it!

Last edited:
The new PS3 is capable of even Bitstreaming HD Audio so you can't go wrong with it with a 1911 and since you also have the intention of playing games on it so its the best bet for you, otherwise these days a dedicated BD player is much cheaper.

Can you please let me know what other BD player can be purchased for lower price that will give output as good as PS3 acting as player and any advantages apart from price margin of going with a dedicated BDP cheaper than PS3? Of course marginally cheaper ones in 13/14K may be good but are therer good ones in sub 10K range?

I use the PS3 as my BDP - however, my father has a Sony 370 (?) which is the entry level BDP from Sony available for around 9k I guess - the A/V quality is excellent and even in terms of features you have most everything from codec support to internet connectivity (ethernet is supported, wifi using an optional adapter) and media player capability using DLNA to stream media from your home PC.
To be fair, have not compared with any of the more expensive standalone BDPs, so there may be advantages, however, if gaming is not a consideration, its a good bet.

That said, I use my PS3 as a BDP/media player and play the occasional Unchartered/NFS - it fits my bill perfectly.

Forgot to mention, the PS3 does not play mkv files. The Sony BDP on the other hand, does play them without problem.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, the PS3 does not play mkv files. The Sony BDP on the other hand, does play them without problem.

How did u try playing the mkv files mate? I have played the same via PS3 Media Server in my HTPC and lan cable and it played near perfect with occasional crash while movie seeking.THat was almost an year ago, the software must have matured a bit more by now hopefully.

Hi Saikat

I currently use a PS3 slim with a Denon AVR-1910 for blu-ray playback. The PS3 slim can bitstream HD-audio via HDMI. Also you can use the PS3 to play some internet radio stations like BBC iplayer and to surf the internet.

The PS3 can get noisier than regular BD players but that's not really a bother. Also note, the PS3 cannot output HD-audio when its playing back a 3D blu-ray.

Another two pluses are that the PS3 has received several firmware upgrades to improve its performance and that the internal hard disc can be replaced with one of greater capacity.

Hope this helps.

How did u try playing the mkv files mate? I have played the same via PS3 Media Server in my HTPC and lan cable and it played near perfect with occasional crash while movie seeking.THat was almost an year ago, the software must have matured a bit more by now hopefully.

Don't think the PS3 Media Server is updated regularly - the latest version is pretty old.

I also use it when I want to play mkv, OR, when I have the time at hand , I re-encode/re-package to AVCHD format and burn on DVD, which the PS3 handles easily.

Also note, the PS3 cannot output HD-audio when its playing back a 3D blu-ray.

Was not aware of this - haven't tried a 3D Blu-ray so far (don't have a 3D capable TV).
Should not be a hardware limitation though I would think and a firmware fix should sort that out since it is capable of putting out HD audio otherwise.

So another plus - the sub 10K BDPs will not support 3D, with the new firmware the PS3 is a fully capable 3D BDP, all you need is a 3D TV and glasses.

I think the answers and discussion are going away from the basic questions the OP asked. So let me try to answer them for him.

1. If I am going to purchase a Denon 1911 then can it handle LPCM over HDMI if I am going to use PS3 as my BDP.

Yes. Most AVRs can accept both raw digital and decoded digital signals over HDMI.

2. What advantage will I have for having 5.1 channel analog outputs that PS3 lacks considering that I will buy Denon 1911 AVR?

The analog I/O provided by players and AVRs gives the user the flexibility to decode the digital signals where he wants. For example if I am using an Oppo BD 93 type of player, it will be far better than most AVRs in both decoding as well as in DAC. I would then decode and process the signals in the player, and use the AVR as just an pre/power amp. To do this I would send analogue signals from the player to the AVR.

One the other hand if I am using an entry level player, I would send the data in raw digital format and ask the AVR to do the processing.

Cheers

One the other hand if I am using an entry level player, I would send the data in raw digital format and ask the AVR to do the processing.

Cheers

So are you saying that the BDP will do better processing than Denon 1911?

So are you saying that the BDP will do better processing than Denon 1911?

He mentioned the Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player which is one of THE BEST blu-ray players out there. Audio processing in that player would be excellent, which is why he would use the analog outputs after having the audio processed in the player itself. On the other hand, if you're using an entry-level blu-ray player, it makes sense to use the audio processing in the AVR after sending the audio data bitstream via HDMI.

Having analog audio outputs would give the user the flexibility to decide where he wants the audio processed.

It does not mention what other file formats like mkv etc are supported. Any ideas. One more thing for the LAN capability will it be able to play video files kept in my Home NAS over the air using USB dongle?

From the user manual available on the site:
http://support.sony-asia.com.edgesuite.net/consumer/IM/4260325111.pdf

Playable types of files

Video:

MPEG1 .mpg, .mpeg,
MPEG2,TS .m2ts, .mts

DivX .avi, .divx

MPEG4 .mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts

WMV9 .wmv, .asf

AVCHD

Audio

MP3 .mp3

AAC .m4a

WMA9 Standard .wma

LPCM .wav

Photos:

JPEG .jpg, .jpeg

Last edited:
Can it pull files to play from a network share over wifi?

Yes it should be able to.
I have not tried Wifi though - only wired LAN connected to router and then to home PC. Streaming audio/video works without issues.
For HD streaming though, Wifi (at least g) may not be enough. SD should be smooth.

Hi Guys
In PS3 is the blu ray locked?
Is there any way to make it region free?

PS3 is blu-ray region locked. An Indian PS3 has Region Code C. A US PS3 has Region Code A. However, most blu-rays are region-free. Few blu-rays (especially Region A blu-rays from US) are region-locked.

As of now, there is no (legal) way to make the PS3 region-free for blu-rays or DVDs. All PS3 games are region-free.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back