PS4 Review...

saini

1. User Interface: Its fast,can multitask (2apps at a time), i really like the use of blue color its soft does not hurt the eyes, there is a problem with the downloads...ps4 seems to download 4 items at once you cant choose what should be downloaded first/cant pause you have to delete the download you dont want...messages work like chatting. store is like PS3 store but only have ps4 item in it which means that you'll have to go back to ps3 to download PS+ goodies... other problem i notice is that freindslidt does not show who have ps4 and who is still on ps3...

(Tip)if you downloaded something from the web store and it does not show up on the ps4 then u need to go to "Library" and then download it from there rather than going to store..

2. Controller: i never used a xbox controller so i wont be comparing them, there are lot people online saying that there's a learning curve but there none if you use/used Dualshock you'll be ok,options and share button takes a while to register,as PS user are used to pressing start,on Bf4 i pressed the touchpad a few time just looking for "SELECT" to spot it only happened a few times,

(Tip) Double tap the "PS" button to go back to prvious app

on the other hand options took a bit longer to get used to,other problem i see was that the "Share" and ""Option buttons" are not elivated hence there are times in dark room where i was not sure if i had my finger on those buttons and ended up pressing the tuchpad.

Lightbar is not at all intrusive while playing,it was more like a ambient light than anything else(in dark room),i could see that there could be problem with the reflection on TV from it,but that depends on how your entertainment system is setup.. i had no such problems as my TV is a bit hight than my sitting postion.

Mono headphone/mic did not fit my ears so i didnt use them...i went straight to using my "XperiaZ" headset,and it worked,the sound was not good but i was able to stream all the audio to headphone.

the face buttons and triggers are no longer analog so there is a distinct click on them when u press...rather than a coushing feel from Dualshock3

3. Consloe:its looks sexy...enough said...that light really stand out...light glows in 3 colors indicating different mode which are as follows:
A. Blue light: Safe Mode/Boot Up(When blinking)
B. White Light : Whilst Running/entering Standby mode(when Blinking)
c. Orange Light: standby mode
(Tip) have the console standing up vertically will make your PS4 look even sexier....in dark room all u can see is the white light

4. Phone App/Remote Play:- phone app is just like anyother companion app...which can be used to access some of the UI functions on your phone for example following features:
A. PSN/Store
B. Messages
C. Second Screen Functionality ETC...

Remote play worked fine on my home WIFI network...(i'll update this section once i use it over internet.) the graphics ofBF4 on vita looked like Xbox One,what i mean by that is the picture is lot shrper and colors a lot vibrant...vita can be used as a controller for a game while DS4 is charging.

vita can also be used second screen,which as of now is used to navigate the UI and type messages just like the phone app,but cant acces the PSN store on vita while using the second screen function...

(Tip) just use the remote play rather that second screen you get a portable PS4 which is just as fast as the main machine itself..

Conclusion: Ps4 is worth a purchase.....the interface is not perfect but its software which means it can improve. i have a 2mb connection and hence some of the network features are a bit clunky and i would suggest that if you can afford a higher connection speed then do so,you will have better experince with PS4.

Anyother question you guys have let me know and i'll try and answer,if you guys want some video or photo evidence:) then holla me and add me on PSN and we will have a game on....

now its 4.30am and i'm off to play Bf4...also anyone got Bf4 here are welcome to join y casual clan "India In Trance" on battlelog and if its not much to ask the please do check my mixes out over at mixcloud.com (search for india in trance by saini)...

thank you:)

Can you include its multimedia capabilities in your review. Especially whether it plays mkv and mp3 files.

Last edited:
Can you include its multimedia capabilities in your review. Especially whether it plays mkv and mp3 files.

dips mate what netant said is true,you cant play any video format or and audio format on it, Sony does have a "Music Unlimited app" but it' not available for india, even if you manage to download it from a USA store it wont work (i tried), netflix,HULU,CRUNCHROLL,and other apps i didnt try,as i got no subscription for any of those.

my suggestion to you would be that you stick to PS3/PC if that what you want,not only it will be cheaper but the game library on ps3 is not bad...and if you have PC then i dont think you should be worried at all mate.

one other thing i noticed on PS store is that there is "MY VIDEO" section on PS4 store which has a "Video Unlimited" logo in it, now dont quote me on this but i think INDIA might get "VIDEO/MUSIC UNLIMITED"
after PS4 launch in india. hope this helps

great review saini da !
enjoy your ps4 :)

cheers netant, but i'm punjabi and not bengali and please next dont say "paji" cause 9/10 times when people say that it's not because of respect like using "da" but more of tease...so please just call me saini or friend or buddy or buds or mate or bro or DAD:lol:

cheers netant, but i'm punjabi and not bengali and please next dont say "paji" cause 9/10 times when people say that it's not because of respect like using "da" but more of tease...so please just call me saini or friend or buddy or buds or mate or bro or DAD:lol:

lol ... sure :)
but Punjabi's are most respected person in India, (except that MMS & montek :mad: )

Cheers !

Thanks for the review Saini!

Can you also post your impressions on the games on PS4. Because that would be my key point in switching to a new generation from my PS3. I know there aren't lot of games on PS4 currently but what about the launch titles.
- How do they compare against latest AAA titles in ps3/360?
- Is there significant graphical improvement, reduction in loading time and ease of download?
- Also, have you checked for any differences in blu ray playback (lag time, video/sound quality)?

Would love to know your inputs on the same.

@Saini Thanks for the review.
Is it possible to push movies or photos from the phone to the ps4, so that it can be viewed on the tv?

As of now, media streaming capabilities are virtually non-existent on the PS4. Wait for firmware updates from Sony for these to be added.

Thanks for the review Saini!

Can you also post your impressions on the games on PS4. Because that would be my key point in switching to a new generation from my PS3. I know there aren't lot of games on PS4 currently but what about the launch titles.
- How do they compare against latest AAA titles in ps3/360?
- Is there significant graphical improvement, reduction in loading time and ease of download?
- Also, have you checked for any differences in blu ray playback (lag time, video/sound quality)?

Would love to know your inputs on the same.

sorry for the late reply guys i'm in punjab for a funeral of my nanji...:sad:

anyway, the only game i have played a it of is BF4,and there is a difference a big difference in how the game runs and looks,it hard to explain it to someone unless one experience it,so i guess i'll try my best to explain.

1.Graphics: game looks amazing,its a bit overwhelming due to the player count at first but with time one would get comfortable..as compared to PS3 i would say that the game on PS4 looks a bit sharper/crisper (i hope it makes sense), now i have not played the ps3 version other "beta",

2.gameplay:- i only play Hardcore mode so my opinions are based on that mode alone,i loved the hardcore mode,its every bit of a fun it was on BFBC/2,BF3,BF1943...its the typical BF game play, only issue i had on the multiplayer game was the fact that i could see that most of the player were playing sniper,it is not a problem as long as you have a clan or a number of players that you play regularly.

3. compared to ps3...i would say that ps3 graphics seems like a block,in other words i would say that the player movement on PS4 seems like natural/realistic. or that ps4 games seems to have more details on them which you would not notice when playing on PS4,but once you go back to PS3 version you would see hoe big a jump it really is on PS4, Graphics like i said earlier just seems more crisper,has more detail on them. but the big thinf that one(i) noticed was the fact that the things that really took a jump are more on the of the subtle things which a player will notice only after downgrading to a ps3 game....they dont jump out on you but once they are noticed you would see how big a difference they make. loading a lot faster,took about 35-40 second to load BF4, that is with all the "LOGO/and the Intro Movie" resogun was just under 30sec...same for contrast...

4. BLU-RAY: haven't tried the BLU-RAY disc, i do have "band of brothers" disc, but once i do try it out i will post it up...

@Saini Thanks for the review.
Is it possible to push movies or photos from the phone to the ps4, so that it can be viewed on the tv?

as of now all you can do on ps4 is play games....and share/upload/stream on twich/facebook/twitter, sony said that DLNA and other media support will be added in future update,but who knows when will that be...

Is the disc section on the PS4 as loud as the PS3?

not really, i never heard any loud disc drive noises myself, but u should metion that PS4 makes a very distinctive clicking noise when switched on/off,

BLU-RAY:- well the good news is that my AUSTRALIAN disc worked on the Canadian PS4, disc loaded up in less than 30seconds, pressing the "Option Button" brings up option where u can change the settings for changing "AUDIO", "SUBTITLES", easy access to "CONTROL PANEL" basically a remote on screen, last two options are "BUTTON GUiDE" and "SETTINGS", under this you get a few options which are "Display Mode", "Dynamic Range" ,"Audio Format" and "settings" that takes you to system setting on the console for BLU-RAY PLAYER. you cant Multitask whislt watching the disc.

compard to ps4 the disc seems to load up faster on PS3, with a little help of some less menu pop ups.. Picture Quality on PS3 seems a bit smoother than PS4, on PS4 it seems like thers a bit of lagging in the picture movement, on PS3 it just seems very smooth. i must say ps4 is not all that bad for an average user like me, My personal opinon is that PS3 player is much better than PS4's.

i hope this helpsif there are anyother question plaes3 do ask....

Nice review Saini thanks...
Would be great if you could add some pics, I think I am gonna import too rather pay 400USD than 40K INR; family coming down in a couple of weeks, I just wanted to ask if the PSN india is online...? ..and if you have had any region issues...Thanks a lot.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back