PSP Queries

tellranga

Friends,
To enjoy movies when I travel, I am considering to buy PSP as a portable media player instead of Mini 10.1 inch Atom laptop or a portable DVD player which we see in Cars.
Gaming, music & surfing is only secondary when I move.
Just wanted to know the following information, before I press the BUY buttton either on the mini Laptop or PSP,
  • how many hours PSP is capable of playing movies after full charge
  • How much does a spare battery cost for PSP
  • Which freeware Converter is good in converting downloaded movies (to watch in PSP)
  • On an average how many hours does a Movie converter takes for this conversion
  • whether PSP is good for watching movies on the go
I almost decided to purchase Samsung Mini laptop.
But the price Rs 9K for PSP makes it attractive than 18K for mini laptop .
Comments / Guidance please ?

Thanks,
ranga.

Friends,
To enjoy movies when I travel, I am considering to buy PSP as a portable media player instead of Mini 10.1 inch Atom laptop or a portable DVD player which we see in Cars.
Gaming, music & surfing is only secondary when I move.
Just wanted to know the following information, before I press the BUY buttton either on the mini Laptop or PSP,
  • how many hours PSP is capable of playing movies after full charge
  • How much does a spare battery cost for PSP
  • Which freeware Converter is good in converting downloaded movies (to watch in PSP)
  • On an average how many hours does a Movie converter takes for this conversion
  • whether PSP is good for watching movies on the go
I almost decided to purchase Samsung Mini laptop.
But the price Rs 9K for PSP makes it attractive than 18K for mini laptop .
Comments / Guidance please ?

Thanks,
ranga.

Whats your prime objective, movies, music on the go OR gaming movies on the go. If it the former, Mini Laptop is the way to go and if its the latter PSP would suffice. Coming to your quaries.

First few facts....

1. Are you planning to hack your PSP, .....hacking apart from allowing us to play ISO games off the net also les us install TPA applications and customize PSP with themes and stuff like that, however with each new model of PSP, it has become more and more complicated to hack it. Original PSP (which I have) only required software hack, while 2000 required modified battery pack and Memory Pack. The PSP-3000, however, is the first time that the hack will require something that one may not already own and might have to unofficially pay to get it done.

2. If hacking isnt your game then go for PSP 3000.

how many hours PSP is capable of playing movies after full charge

PSP battery including 3000 wont last for more than 3,4 hrs at full brightness, while gaming it might last longer.

How much does a spare battery cost for PSP

That I have no idea, as aI never bought one, but may be some member might have an idea, but I have an hunch, it wont be less than atleast 2,3K

Which freeware Converter is good in converting downloaded movies (to watch in PSP)

xvid4psp ..... simply rocks, have tried loads of them and the profiles this one offers are the best

On an average how many hours does a Movie converter takes for this conversion

Heavily depends on the hardware, but assuming you have th latest i5/i7 with 4 GB ram and a 64bit OS, a complete movie (2 to 2.5 hrs) should not take more than an hour .......

I will also like to add it also depends on the profile you choose, like for example if you go for high bitrate, with a target size of more than 3 GB, it might take much longer than an hour.

whether PSP is good for watching movies on the go

Absolutely ...... albit you are ok with the 4.3" size. I can vouch for the quality, which turns out to be amazing when converted correctly. Its just the screen size which one might not like ....

Lastly I will like to add, if gaming on the go is in your preference, thne nothing can beat a PSP, specially if its hacked, there are loads and loads of titles available. Games like World snooker champion ship, Virtual tennis, Soccer, GTA China town, Resistance .....etc etc are just time hoggers .......

Last edited:
Hi,

You can get a PSP car charger to charge it on the go. PSP-3004 can be partially hacked(meaning that the hack will go away if you turnoff the console. Google ChickHen for more details. ). My PSP Slim with accessories is in For Sale if you are interested.

Thanks
Satya

Hi,

You can get a PSP car charger to charge it on the go. PSP-3004 can be partially hacked(meaning that the hack will go away if you turnoff the console. Google ChickHen for more details. ). My PSP Slim with accessories is in For Sale if you are interested.

Thanks
Satya

Thanks Satya,
I meant for Bus / train journey only.
Further, Car charger will not work, as I will be in the driver seat when i drive my Car :sad: .

I am thinking of going for a brand new product. Will PM you if required.

Thanks,
ranga.

Last edited:
Thats great Sam,
Whats your prime objective, movies, music on the go OR gaming movies on the go. If it the former, Mini Laptop is the way to go and if its the latter PSP would suffice. Coming to your quaries.
Movies & Gaming
1. Are you planning to hack your PSP,
Offcource after hearing so much, I would like to do homebrew on my PSP, otherwise we are under utilizing the device.
PSP-3004 can be partially hacked(meaning that the hack will go away if you turnoff the console...
however with each new model of PSP, it has become more and more complicated to hack it. Original PSP (which I have) only required software hack, while 2000 required modified battery pack and Memory Pack. The PSP-3000, however, is the first time that the hack will require something that one may not already own and might have to unofficially pay to get it done.
Hack will go away if we turnoff the console .:eek:
Don't we have a permenent solution of hacking PSP 3000 and PSP Go ?
I already bought PS2 and hacked it immidiately for 500. Wonder how much PSP Go hacking will cost ?
How much does a spare battery cost for PSP
That I have no idea, as I never bought one, but may be some member might have an idea, but I have an hunch, it wont be less than atleast 2,3K
Any body else knows ?

Yeah I learned it the hard way. I bought one for my kid. In spite of my warning, he had turned off the console twice. Rs. 1000/- gone down the drain.:mad:

Bought him a few game CDs but he lost interest in them quickly. I cant afford to buy him 2 cds a month. So it is lying unused.

I already bought PS2 and hacked it immidiately for 500. Wonder how much PSP Go hacking will cost ?

Any body else knows ?

Even I'm looking for that answer.

If gaming isnt your primary objective, then dont bother for a psp. Go for an archos PMP or maybe an android tablet

Any body else knows ?

See what i have learnt with few research is that PSP 3000 hacking is in infancy stage or its not as stable as say 1st gen PSP....... switching off problem is there, but in that case all you need to do is to go in to the ChickHEN folder and install it again. But I have seen people still facing problems, anyway, if hacking is your prime interest try to get PSP 2000, much stable and permanent hack available for it. I tell you people today still go for the original PSP just because the hack and homebrew applications developed for it are still the best and most stable. hardware wise there is not much of a difference and all the games that come out todays are playable on the original PSP as well.

Getting the PSP hacked shouldn't not take more then 3,400 bucks. I usually prefer to do it myself ..... :)

If gaming isnt your primary objective, then dont bother for a psp. Go for an archos PMP or maybe an android tablet

With little experience I can tell archos PMP is crap, android tablet is all together a different ball game ...

Yeah I learned it the hard way. I bought one for my kid. In spite of my warning, he had turned off the console twice. Rs. 1000/- gone down the drain.:mad:
Captain,
if the battery is drained completely, it will be switched off right. Can't help.
I think you should have hacked in Ritchie street. Did it costed you 500 rs ?

if hacking is your prime interest try to get PSP 2000, much stable and permanent hack available for it.
In SONY showrooms, I saw only one model. Is it PSP 3000 or PSP GO. Which one is latest among these two ?
I dont prefer a used item, is it possible to get new PSP 2000 now from shop ?

I think, android tablet will BOMB close to 30K. Out of my budget now.
Just did a little research on archos -
Archos 7 Tablet PC now available for - Online Best Latest Price Reviews | Features in India
Just 11K .
Anybody knows any shop in Chennai (preferably) / Pune / Mumbai to audition archos ?

With little experience I can tell archos PMP is crap...
May be the Screen Resolution and other features of PSP cannot stand near by to Archos.

Last edited:
In SONY showrooms, I saw only one model. Is it PSP 3000 or PSP GO. Which one is latest among these two ?
I dont prefer a used item, is it possible to get new PSP 2000 now from shop ?

Not from official SONY, but you can try, google sony showrooms in your area, call them and inquire. Grey market usually have new older models, like here in Delhi, you can sure find one in Palika bazar.

May be the Screen Resolution and other features of PSP cannot stand near by to Archos.

No the overall experience, the UI, navigation, browser, music quality, speed etc. Movies look good no doubt, but overall experience was not what I was expecting. Specially after owning an iPod Touch.

If Gaming is prime concern, nothing can beat a PSP.

Last edited:
I don't think you will find a PSP-2000 from Sony Showroom, try in grey market. AFAIK, there is no hack for PSP Go (both software and hardward). Some models of PSP-3000 can be partially modded, that to if the firmware on that console is <= 5.03. Unfortunelty there is no way to tell which firmware it is running without opening the box. I have visited lot of showrooms in Jan to find a PSP with firmware <=5.03, but ended buying one from eBay.

I don't think you will find a PSP-2000 from Sony Showroom, try in grey market. AFAIK, there is no hack for PSP Go (both software and hardward). Some models of PSP-3000 can be partially modded, ...
Yes, when I went to 2 different Sony Showrooms, I noticed the only model in display was PSP 3004 for 9.4K.
If I buy black (my forvourite) then 1 game is free and if it is other than black, 2 games are free. But after seeing those free games titles & picture, it looked very kiddish (forgotten the game name).
Astonishingly, the Sales person is unaware of anything about PSP Go.
Out of curiosity (for comparision purpose), anybody knows the price of PSP Go in India, if it is available ?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back