Pt Bhimsen joshi passed away

doors666

Just saw this sad news, Pandit bhimsen joshi, the king of vocals passed away. May his soul rest in peace.

That is sad. Truly a maestro.

Have grown up listening to his records.

May his soul rest in peace.

Pune lost another jewel today. Simply an end of an era. Suddenly flashes of sawai festival flashed before me. National Loss.

This is indeed a very sad day for all of us.

I attended his last concert in Kolkata. If I remember correctly, it was a programme on Kirana Gharana of vocal music. The first artiste of the evening was Firoz Dastur. After that, people waited eagerly for about 45 minutes for Bhimsenji. He was already quite unwell (after a major operation). Nobody moved from their seats, nobody even went out for restroom use. Then finally Bhimsenji appeared on the stage. He sang Raga Shuddh Kalyan for about 35 minutes, and it was one of the best Shuddh Kalyan I have ever heard. This is only possible, if one has the gift, the blessings from above, and sheer hard work, dedication and honesty at the highest level to be able sing at that level at that age and in that state of health.

He was also a human being of the highest level. I have heard so many stories about him helping other musicians. The Sawai Gandharva Music Festival would not be the same without him.

Many many years ago, once I attended a solo concert by Bhimsenji in Pittsburgh. I managed to occupy a front row seat, although at the extreme right corner. I got out my very small and modest cassette recorder, and recorded in 3 cassettes the whole concert (about 4 hours). Somebody told me after the concert that the organizers announced just before I eneterd that no recording was allowed on request from Bhimsenji (because of some contract with recording companies or something like that). Anyway, he saw me recording, because I was seated in the front row. At the end of the concert, I decided I would get these cassettes signed by him. So I went looking for him, and found him going to the restroom. There were an increasing number of people gathered outside the restroom waiting to meet him. So I decided to enter the restroom, and met him inside the restroom (obviously after his business there was done). I started with a dip to his feet. He immediately blessed me by touching my head. And then I showed him the cassettes and requested him to sign on them. He smiled and then signed all the cassettes.

I still have those cassettes containing raga Yaman Kalyan and Khamaj thumri (1st half) and raga Abhogi, Bhairavi Thumri (Babul mora) and two Bhajans (Kshetra Vittala being one of them) for the 2nd half.

Regards.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and fans.

I have not listened to any his albums or concerts but remember him for:
His part in "Mile sur mera tumhara" video that used to be telecast on national TV
and his superb voice in the kannada devotional song
"Bhagya da Lakshmi baramma".

RIP Bhimsenji.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back