Purchased Yamaha YHT 196 Today @ 20,999

rahiljnmc

Guys, Its been a month since i purchased Panasonic 42XT50D and was looking for entry level home theater system. Had limited budget so had very few choices. Decided to stay away from samsung, panasonic, sony and lgs, as pointed out by almost everyone.

Dont know if I made a good choice, there was not much to read about yamaha yht 196 on internet. But it seems its a good choice at this price point.

Need Input and feedback on my choice!!

I bought it from croma retail store online

congrats on purchase. Eager to know your opinion. Before making any conclusion, ensure that the speakers are placed correctly and setting is done properly in AVR.

Hey guys a confusion with the home theater system, which one to buy and all those stuff.

can you guys help me out in resolving my doubts so as to which home theater is a best buy.

1. Yamaha YHT 196
or
2. Sony DZ 640K

i need a comparison among these two.

i would appreciate if i get a detailed information

Guys, Its been a month since i purchased Panasonic 42XT50D and was looking for entry level home theater system. Had limited budget so had very few choices. Decided to stay away from samsung, panasonic, sony and lgs, as pointed out by almost everyone.

Dont know if I made a good choice, there was not much to read about yamaha yht 196 on internet. But it seems its a good choice at this price point.

Need Input and feedback on my choice!!

I bought it from croma retail store online

Why did you have to buy HT seperately - 42XT50 comes with free HT offer from Panasonic, you didnt get it?

Hey guys a confusion with the home theater system, which one to buy and all those stuff.

can you guys help me out in resolving my doubts so as to which home theater is a best buy.

1. Yamaha YHT 196
or
2. Sony DZ 640K

i need a comparison among these two.

i would appreciate if i get a detailed information

pls stay away from sony/lg/pana ht packages......they dont even have multiple hdmi inputs:mad:...so just think how will u connect ur multiple source may be tatasky/hdmi laptop/blu ray plauer simultaneously.......with those..

yamaha yht 196 wins without a fight with sony dz 640k....
there is no comparison betwwen them...
196 has a real dedicated av reciever and speakers
640k has just a big size glorified dvd player and speakers...
onkyo3400/denon 1312 ht packages are also good in entry level ht packages....

it would be very helpful if u say what u will play by the way...

Last edited:
I recently purchased YHT 196. I have Tata Sky HD connected to TV(Pana 42ST30D) via HDMI and optical out from TV to AV receiver. Crossover frequency set at 80Hz giving a good bass effect. Overall happy with the system and still playing with different settings.

However, when I try to connect Tata Sky HD to AV receiver via HDMI and Connect AV receiver to TV via HDMI out from AV, Iam getting picture but not getting any sound:sad:. Can anyone help me understand why this is happening.

For now I have gone back to optical out from TV to AV and TS HD to TV via HDMI.

Please help me understand why Iam not getting any sound in second case.

Many entry level AVRs cannot decode audio over HDMI. Probably thist is what is happening here. Can ur STB decode audio and send it over HDMI. I don't know because I don't have any STB.

So will there be a difference in sound output if I connect Tata Sky HD to AVR and use Coax for audio OR if I connect TS HD to TV through HDMI and take optical out from TV to AVR?

I can say for sure that YHT-196 supports audio over HDMI. I've tried it with my airtel HD recorder.

The configuration I tried was
[HD recorder] --HDMI-> [YHT-196] --HDMI-> [TV (51E550)].

It worked with TV set to "external speakers". Only problem I noticed was, there were no Dolby surround effects. However, based on what I read on internet, it was because of my STB. It seems airtel HD STB does not send Dolby signal over HDMI. I had to connect the STB to YHT-196 with an optical audio cable. I'm now getting perfect surround effects.

So will there be a difference in sound output if I connect Tata Sky HD to AVR and use Coax for audio OR if I connect TS HD to TV through HDMI and take optical out from TV to AVR?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, airtel HD STB does not seem to send Dolby audio signals over HDMI. If same is true for Tata Sky HD STB as well, I would recommend connecting your STB to AVR directly by an optical (TOSLINK) audio cable. If the STB is not sending Dolby signals over HDMI, the TV won't be able to send those to AVR either.

If the STB sends Dolby signals over HDMI, there should not be any difference.

Hi guys,

I purchased YHT-196 three days back from Croma. However, forgot to ask if Yamaha does installation/demo at home. Does Yamaha provide these services?

I've installed it on my own. However, wondering if I've set it up perfectly with all parameters like cross over frequecy, sound level for different speakers, speaker positions etc.

I've heard this htib last week as I was planning on buying it for a wedding gift. It failed on the spot in sound quality. Even a philips htib at 14k they had at croma topped this yamaha htib.

I don't know what yamaha was thinking when they made this htib. Midrange is blatently missing.

We finally settled on the sony dav z640k which was a much better overall performer. The highs were a little harsh but the midrange and lows were considerably meatier and better bodied than the yamaha.

I went looking for the yamaha with high hopes but was extremely dissapointed with the sound quality :(

Hi guys,

I purchased YHT-196 three days back from Croma. However, forgot to ask if Yamaha does installation/demo at home. Does Yamaha provide these services?

I've installed it on my own. However, wondering if I've set it up perfectly with all parameters like cross over frequecy, sound level for different speakers, speaker positions etc.

To answer my own question: Yes, Yamaha provides installation and demo service. The Yamaha guys visited my home last saturday for demo (there was no installation to be done as I had already done that). Nothing new that I learned from them.

They were trying to sell me their stuff. The wall mount stands that they mentioned seemed interesting. Unfortunately, they were not carrying those. I've hung the surround speakers on screws. So right now, all my surround speakers are mounted at a high level on walls facing straight. They told me that with these stands, I could rotate speakers in any direction such that the speakers face directly to the listners. Seems to be a good idea.

They quoted me the price of Rs. 450/- per stand. Is it a reasonable price? Has anyone of you tried these stands? How are these effectiveness and quality wise? Are there any other options available in the same price range?

Again answering my own question so that it may be helpful to someone who is considering to get the wall mounts installed:

I got these wall mounts installed a couple of days back. The wall mounts were not looking brand new and there were many scratches on those. On asking, the Yamaha installation guys told me that this was because they keep the wall mounts in the bag along with many other metal objects. That apart, the installation guys did a pretty good job. They changed some settings, like cross over frequency, sound levels etc, in my AVR as well.

I can tell you that it made a noticeable difference in the sound quality. Now, I can experience immersive sound coming from all directions and can experience the real surround sound. It's money well spent. I would definitely recommend these.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back