Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Open Baffle Speakers

Nikhil

Staff member
Pure Audio Project

I first came across the Pure Audio Project speakers in Munich 2017 where I found these tall Open Baffle speakers tucked away in a corner of main hall. Even with all that commotion that went on, one could easily hear that ease with which these speakers flow. Later on I came to hear these speakers very closely in a forum member's listening room and immediately could tell that these were something special. With each iteration in amps that went through the room, the PAP speakers seemed to scale up to the gear brought in.

The PAP speakers that I've heard are the Trio 15 Voxativs with custom upgraded crossovers. The sound was always good and with better quality amps the sound went from great to something really special. In that same room, there have been a few more speakers that have come in and out but nothing so far has been able to convincingly top the Trio 15 Voxativs. But sound quality aside there is an even more fascinating concept behind the Pure Audio Project story. The modular construction that has been designed by PAP Principal Ze’ev Schlik is something of a unique concept.

"A pair of 15-inch woofers made by Eminence to PAP specs (and upgradable to four woofers should you so desire) and a compression driver with a beautiful wood horn is merely the starting point. Thanks to multiple crossover taps, the ability to easily swap crossover components, and a choice of five different HF drivers (Horn, Voxative, ESS AMT, Beyma, TB-W808) you can fine tune the Trios to your room, amplifier and ultimately, personal taste." - Jeff Dorgay (Tone Audio)

Link: Jeff Dorgay's Review at Tone Audio

Trio15-Voxativ-Open-Baffle-Speakers-by-PureAudioProject-side-HS-NL-1030x769.jpg

This unique arrangement means that you are free to order the components to your liking. Or you can order the entire combination from the Pure Audio website. The items are manufactured at separate locations to PAP specifications and are delivered in separate consignments from all over the world. According to PAP, assembly does not require more than an allen key and a screwdriver. I would however like to keep some backup available just in case.

The sound is nothing short of breathtaking and is reference level. Several folks from within the industry use these Pure Audio Project speakers for their listening both at home and at audio shows. I hope that this thread will throw some light on these fabulous speakers and perhaps bring some more owners out to share their experiences.

That’s the idea. Been enjoying different component signatures. Different DACs are recent. Rest chain is optimized for me now

Are you also running Open Baffles?

Or are you also into the Pure Audio Project?
PAP has some great offerings for DIY fans.

Their PAPC1 active analog crossover comes from Nelson Pass.

Last edited:
Have been enjoying these OB speakers for the last 30months. Paired them with many variations of amps , DACs and cables... They accommodate anything you throw at them and sounds great. This specific character allowed me to go on a ride exploring many combinations of amps and DACs.
It is a good move to get the fixation on the speakers are play around with the rest of the equipment

Mine are DIY around similar design but I have kept the FRs at listening ear height and only FR being modular. The two 15" bass drivers are fixed at the bottom, lower to the FR modules. SET drives the FR and SS drives the bass modules. I know the team behind pureaudioproject speakers. Great guys, always ready to help or supply parts for the DIYers as well. These are the most lively and transparent speakers you would listen to and quite fun to experiment. Immediate sonic impressions of each component change, is a rewarding experience. You can roll drivers with little effort. Upgrades are limitless and so is fun behind them.

The only limitation is, you need to give them about 3ft space behind the speakers and the room should be of a decent size. They make magic if you have a relatively larger room.
Please post pictures of your set up.

Have been enjoying these OB speakers for the last 30months. Paired them with many variations of amps , DACs and cables... They accommodate anything you throw at them and sounds great. This specific character allowed me to go on a ride exploring many combinations of amps and DACs.

View attachment 41130

I had the opportunity to listen to this system couple of weeks ago. The last time I listened to it, I think the amps were line magnetic SET. The Jeff Rowlands are indeed a very good match. Good mix of warmth you expect from tubes and control / bass of solid state. It was such a pleasure listening to these speakers. And Sameer is such a good host! Thanks a lot Sameer.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back