Quad 22L2 vs 11L2

Cnu

hai everyone

im just looking to buy speakers for Marantz PM 8003 just bought from denny (Bass n Treble)...i dont have any audio show rooms in here to take audition...so im totally relying on reviews and order a piece...I have just seen few reviews stating that QUAD 22L2 are little laid back kind of speakers and they suit for my brighter amp...and i have seen the forum regarding delhi audiophile meet and they have quad11l2 is the winner of all...so im just curious to know that which should be better for me with my amp...i really appreciate your advices and suggestions...Thanks in Advance

CNU , You cant compare both the speakers since one is a Floor standers and the other is a small stand mount. If you are looking for low freq then the 11L2 will not suit you.
I was using My quad22L with a Marantz PM7001 before, but the amplifier could not drive my quads as I desired. In low volumes the amplifier could not produce all the frequency. If i am using a PM 8003, i will go for the 12L2 rather then the 11L or 22L2.

regards

Thanks for ur suggestion...12l2 are book shelve or fs?...can they produce sq similar to 11l2 or superior than them...heard that psb synchrony 2b has very clear mids n highs compared to 11l2...since my amp is bright...i shudnt consider that choice?...for LFE im considering to buy wharfdale sub 150

Last edited:
Quad12L2 specification
Transducer Complement 2 Way
Cone Bass Driver 170mm / 6.5
Cone Bass / Mid Driver n/a
Soft Dome Tweeter 25mm / 1
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms (compatible with 8 Ohm amplifier outputs)
Frequency Response (-6dB) 45Hz - 28kHz
Upper Limit (-10dB) 32kHz
Power Handling - Continuous 100W
Power Handling - Recommended Amplifier 30-200W
Enclosure type Ported
System Fb 50Hz
Crossover Frequency(s) 2.2kHz
Construction 15/25mm MDF
Dimensions (H x W x D) 330 x 205 x 253mm

Quad 11L2 specification
Transducer Complement 2 Way
Cone Bass Driver 125mm / 5"
Cone Bass / Mid Driver n/a
Frequency Response (-6dB) 45Hz - 28kHz
Power Handling - Continuous 85W
Power Handling - Recommended Amplifier 30-150W
Enclosure type Ported
System Fb 55Hz
Crossover Frequency(s) 2.2kHz
Construction 15/25mm MDF
Dimensions (H x W x D) 310 x 190 x 243mm

Consider specification to support your review so that i can understand better

Quad 22L2
Transducer Complement 2.5 Way
Cone Bass Driver 170mm / 6.5
Cone Bass / Mid Driver 170mm / 6.5
Frequency Response (-6dB) 30Hz - 28kHz
Power Handling - Continuous 150W
Power Handling - Recommended Amplifier 50-300W
Enclosure type Ported / Sealed Mid
System Fb 35Hz
Crossover Frequency(s) 150Hz, 3kHz
Construction 15/25mm MDF
Dimensions (H x W x D) 850 x 205 x 278mm

Though my amp is not choosy for driving..still to differentiate in terms of sound quality against 12L2 and 11L2 ...i posted specification

hai everyone

im just looking to buy speakers for Marantz PM 8003 just bought from denny (Bass n Treble)...i dont have any audio show rooms in here to take audition...so im totally relying on reviews and order a piece...I have just seen few reviews stating that QUAD 22L2 are little laid back kind of speakers and they suit for my brighter amp...and i have seen the forum regarding delhi audiophile meet and they have quad11l2 is the winner of all...so im just curious to know that which should be better for me with my amp...i really appreciate your advices and suggestions...Thanks in Advance

Please do listen to the Focal Chorus 816 that Denny has in his showroom. I have a Marantz PM15S1 amplifier and really liked the way they sounded.. Not that I'm suggesting you to go for FS speakers but if you like to sound signature, then you could consider their stand mounts (Chorus 807).. But if you like thumpy bass, these are not the speakers for you.. they are detailed yet not so harsh sounding speakers with crystal clear mids and crisp highs.. Bass is realistic and has good extension too.. try it out before you finalize anything..

Are you Deepak by any chance? If yes I'm Prashanth, remember we met at Sid's place the other day?? Cheers!

@Cnu: If u haven't auditioned anything yet, its unlikely that u know whether u like "Laid Back" or "Bright" or whatever others are gonna throw at you.Its really foolish to spend this amount on a pair of speakers if u don't know how your amp is gonna behave,IMHO. Didn't the shop where u got ur avr hold any speakers for audition,or did u get it shipped?There is absolutely no point in "I have heard my amp is bright,so it should be better with XYZ speakers which i heard is laid back" as there are not much topics that are more subjective than audio gear selection.

So, plz do yourself a favour and audition some popular brands even if its out of city...take ur time,u might not regret your purchase. :) It would be awesome if u could mention what all speakers u have heard using your new amplifier so far,and not just post specs.

I bought it from denny via shipping...i have not heard pairing any of the branded speaker...This amp weighs roughly 12kg i guess...and have to travel 3 hrs to get auditioned....too heavy to carry by bike...and my car is not yet repaired....it has major problem...planned to buy a new one and sell this old...but i really appreciate your suggestion to pair a matching speakers to which my ears say good...Just for my curiosity im asking...quad 12l2 is better than 11l2 ...isnt it...spec say that?....even quad22l2 has cone/mid driver...which 11l2 and 12l2 doesnt have....will that driver enhance the mids of the sound that cant be produced by 11l2 & 12l2...i even heard that Floor standing speakers are better compared to Stand mount for the same configuration...

so which set up would be best A) Floor standing speakers Quadd 22l2 or B) Quad 12l2 with wharfdale sub 150

Last edited:
I bought it from denny via shipping...i have not heard pairing any of the branded speaker...This amp weighs roughly 12kg i guess...and have to travel 3 hrs to get auditioned....too heavy to carry by bike...and my car is not yet repaired....it has major problem...planned to buy a new one and sell this old...but i really appreciate your suggestion to pair a matching speakers to which my ears say good...Just for my curiosity im asking...quad 12l2 is better than 11l2 ...isnt it...spec say that?....even quad22l2 has cone/mid driver...which 11l2 and 12l2 doesnt have....will that driver enhance the mids of the sound that cant be produced by 11l2 & 12l2...i even heard that Floor standing speakers are better compared to Stand mount for the same configuration...

so which set up would be best A) Floor standing speakers Quadd 22l2 or B) Quad 12l2 with wharfdale sub 150

Your best option: Call up the dealer, make sure he has a Marantz amp somewhere along the DNA of yours and some of Wharfedale(laid back),Tannoy(forward and sllliiigghhttttllyy bright) Mordaunt Short(great mids,somewhat less coloured) speakers , coup up few friends and spend a half day there.....your findings may surprise you.Once u like one,make sure to spend some time with it, as to make sure the speakers won't cause much hearing fatigue as music is ur primary concern.

Now onto ur query,the Quad 12l2 might be better but the difference should be only slightly discernible.The 22L2 should provide sufficient tight bass for music playback....hear it definitely before going for a BS+sub combo as sometimes, the process of getting sub to sound 'invisible' is a little more than tricky in a music oriented setup,especially with the ones in the sub 20-25k price range.

Plz remember: A one time audition to get a taste of speaker timbres before going for the final plunge is the best option for u IMHO.

@Cnu
Marantz distributes Mordaunt-Short speakers in Europe. I read some where that Mourdant-Short goes well with Marantz.
You may consider auditioning Mourdant-Short Mezzo/Aviano range along with Quad.

They do have few dealers in Gujarat. Here is the list of Mordaunt-Short dealers in India.
Mourdant-Short Dealers in India
Hope this helps. Good luck on your search :thumbsup:

Hai ravi

Could you explain me how would Morduant Short handles the LFE...since i was told that Marantz produces HF & MF incredibly fine with quad12l2 where as Dali ikon 2 handles it with more LFE than compared to quads...So please let me know Dali ikon 2 or quad 12l2 or morduant Short performance 2...im really confused between them

Last edited:
Hai ravi

Could you explain me how would Morduant Short handles the LFE...since i was told that Marantz produces HF & MF incredibly fine with quad12l2 where as Dali ikon 2 handles it with more LFE than compared to quads...So please let me know Dali ikon 2 or quad 12l2 or morduant Short performance 2...im really confused between them

Hi Cnu,
Its a complex question to answer. I haven't heard the Quad or the Dali ikon 2. Dali ikon 2 looks like is in a different league and is 60% - 70% costlier than Quad and Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2.
I got a good deal on MS Mezzo 2 and picked a pair here in UK. I can return them and get a full refund in 15 days if I don't like them.

For a bookshelf the Mezzo 2 has a good crispy HF, good midrange and decent LF. This is with a NAD amp which is slightly unusual combination and the speakers have 25 hours of usage on it. May be later after run-in the LF may become even more prominent. I'm a newbie to separates hi-fi. I'm not an expert here.

I would strongly suggest if you have a Mordaunt-Short dealer near by please audition the Mezzo 2 and Mezzo 6 with your amp.
BTW where do you live?
From the link I posted Mordaunt-Short has dealers in Baroda, Anand and Ahmedabad. Try giving them a call and see if they can arrange an audition for you.

Thanks a lot ravi for ur great input...i will take my amp and planning to arrange audition in there with every possible speakers..coz without that i cannot really know what are the differences...so planning for a trip soon :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back