• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

OFFER QUAD S-2 Bookshelf Speakers

HiFiVision

Super Moderator

QUAD S-2 Bookshelf Speakers
Quad has always prided itself on providing the complete solution to music lovers. Each Quad component marries perfectly to other parts of the hi-fi system and is designed with one target – to be ‘The Closest Approach To The Original Sound’.

Quad S Series loudspeakers fulfil that objective admirably. Sporting a new ribbon treble unit aligned, through sophisticated crossover networks, to Quad’s advanced bass-midrange drivers, each and every loudspeaker in the range delivers all the nuances and passion of the original performance.

The QUAD S Series have clear and detailed upper mid-range to treble performance from a large and delicate ribbon driver taking the delicate and beautiful sound in a more powerful and modern loudspeaker.

Furniture Quality Woodwork

Beautifully presented with rounded top edges at the front and rear, each speaker cabinet uses a sandwich construction of alternate layers of MDF and high-density particleboard to reduce panel resonance to below the level of audibility.

Aesthetically, the look is classically Quad, yet subtly updated, available in sapele mahogany wood veneers.

Delicate Sound, Powerful Delivery

All S Series models sport a bespoke ribbon treble unit, delivering effortlessly extended high frequencies that are audibly superior to those supplied by typical dome tweeters.

While many ribbon drivers are delicate, easily prone to burning out if overpowered, the new ribbon unit developed for the S Series is a thoroughly modern affair, utilising the latest techniques and materials. The ribbon itself is a sandwich construction, making it robust enough to handle high-powered amplifiers, and is fully immersed in a powerful magnetic field so that it accomplishes its dual role of being both the voice coil and sound radiator.

As well as delivering excellent transient response and superb musical detail, the sound from this ribbon unit is smooth right up to the highest musical overtones beyond the limits of human hearing. Controlled directivity maintains this sound quality over a wide horizontal arc to cover all listeners whilst vertical dispersion is tailored to avoid floor and ceiling reflections, resulting in the purest high frequency performance at the listening seat.

Award Winning Review
The S-2 is fabulously dynamic, well extended, pure and clean in its revealing upper-frequency range, and offers the best low-end bass traction of any stand-mounted speaker I've heard... The Quad S-2s provided me with many hours of happy listening, and left me wringing-wet with emotion and, yes, humble gratitude. Absolutely recommended.Stereophile

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

mpw

Looks to be a good speaker. Hope prospective buyers audition at hifimart..

ssf

I have the Quad S-C doing the center channel duties along with the Quad 12l2's for fronts. The quad S2. is on my list for sure.

hpdinesh

I'm interested in this as well but I couldn't find this speakers in any of the recommended list from various sites. Even though it has got good reviews.

SPONSORED ADS

jls001

IMG-20180623-WA0088.jpg
Above: Quad S2

Below: Wharfedale 11.2 BS from the new 11 series:IMG-20180623-WA0087.jpg

Below: Overall view of the stereo auditioning room at Designer Audio's showroom at Ballard Estate in Mumbai:
IMG-20180623-WA0119.jpg

Below: Luxman L505 UXG integrated did driving duty. S2 and 11.2 speakers were switchable by Speaker A and B switch:

IMG-20180623-WA0120.jpg

Close up of Luxman L505 UXG:
IMG-20180623-WA0103.jpg

Lots of Wharfedale, Castle and Quads on display:
IMG-20180623-WA0116.jpg

Source was a Windows PC running either iTunes or foobar2000.

A new Quad Vena integrated amp with built-in DAC was used as DAC, and analog output sent to the Luxman L505 UXG.

We heard vocal jazz, western classicals, regular pop, etc and switched between the two speakers.

Quad S2 was more resolving than the Wharfedale 11.2. It is more refined too. Despite the diminutive size of the S2, it produced prodigious bass. One could very well appreciate the weight and texture of upright acoustic bass.

To be fair to the new Wharfedale 11.2, it costs a good Rs 30000 less, and has been used for just about a week. I'm fairly certain that with more hours on it, it will sound more refined than what we heard today. It has a warmth and musicality that took me by a bit of a surprise as I didn't expect such a competent performance from it. I would love to compare it against the Castle Knight 2 which is my reference for Rs 40K-ish speakers, but alas we didn't have time.

I would like to thank Anil/HFV for arranging the listening session. And a big thank you and shout-out to Kshitij of Designer Audio. He's a thorough gentleman. Thanks for having us.

Caveat: the Luxman amp used is way above (in terms of class and cost) the two speakers tested. A more realistic pairing with an amp costing upto about Rs 1L may produce a different sound.

Some more pics:

Cutout cross section of the Wharfedale 11.1 speakers:
IMG-20180623-WA0107.jpg

Cut out cross section of the 11.4 FS:
IMG-20180623-WA0097.jpg

hpdinesh

Based on your listening session, how would you rate the price to performance ratio of Quad S2. What can be the alternate option for the same budget?

jls001

Based on your listening session, how would you rate the price to performance ratio of Quad S2. What can be the alternate option for the same budget?
May be others here can chip in with opinions on alternatives.
The best way to decide is of course to hear it for oneself.

SachinChavan

Above: Quad S2

Below: Wharfedale 11.2 BS from the new 11 series:View attachment 28256

Below: Overall view of the stereo auditioning room at Designer Audio's showroom at Ballard Estate in Mumbai:
View attachment 28257

Below: Luxman L505 UXG integrated did driving duty. S2 and 11.2 speakers were switchable by Speaker A and B switch:

View attachment 28258

Close up of Luxman L505 UXG:
View attachment 28259

Lots of Wharfedale, Castle and Quads on display:
View attachment 28260

Source was a Windows PC running either iTunes or foobar2000.

A new Quad Vena integrated amp with built-in DAC was used as DAC, and analog output sent to the Luxman L505 UXG.

We heard vocal jazz, western classicals, regular pop, etc and switched between the two speakers.

Quad S2 was more resolving than the Wharfedale 11.2. It is more refined too. Despite the diminutive size of the S2, it produced prodigious bass. One could very well appreciate the weight and texture of upright acoustic bass.

To be fair to the new Wharfedale 11.2, it costs a good Rs 30000 less, and has been used for just about a week. I'm fairly certain that with more hours on it, it will sound more refined than what we heard today. It has a warmth and musicality that took me by a bit of a surprise as I didn't expect such a competent performance from it. I would love to compare it against the Castle Knight 2 which is my reference for Rs 40K-ish speakers, but alas we didn't have time.

I would like to thank Anil/HFV for arranging the listening session. And a big thank you and shout-out to Kshitij of Designer Audio. He's a thorough gentleman. Thanks for having us.

Caveat: the Luxman amp used is way above (in terms of class and cost) the two speakers tested. A more realistic pairing with an amp costing upto about Rs 1L may produce a different sound.

Some more pics:

Cutout cross section of the Wharfedale 11.1 speakers:
View attachment 28261

Cut out cross section of the 11.4 FS:
View attachment 28262
That’s quite an ensemble of speakers from the IAG group. I’d have loved to attend this group auditioning. It’s sad that you didn’t get time to compare with the Castles- wanted to know how the cousins compare with my current set of speakers.

And I agree with you Joshua. Auditions and reviews would more practically useful in helping potential buyers decide if the source and amplification used are price-compatible with the speakers.

Has anyone heard the Wharfedale anniversary series - Denton and Linton? How’d they compare with these regular edition speakers? The Lintons are slightly above the price of the S2 and the Dentons slightly below. So would be interesting to compare them.

SPONSORED ADS