Query on Component Cable

techieblr

Hi, My Philips DVD Player (DVP3166) has a component & composite output. Currently, I am connecting it to my 40" HDTV using a composite cable. Will switching to a component cable improve the PQ when original DVDs are played? I looked for a Component Cable in many electronic shops, but none had a stock of it. One guy told me that using three pairs of of composite cable would be a good enough (and cheap) substitute. Any inputs will be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes Component gives better PQ . Whether it will be noticable or not will depend on your source,display and interconnect cable quality.

Composite cables can be used in place of component cable. (Just ensure correct color matching at source and receiver ends). You will also need to connect the audio separately if you are using the component route.

In order of pref for best video quality:

Digital : HDMI / DVI
Analog : Component video / svideo / composite video / RF

So, yes component video is the right way to hook up your tv. You will notice difference. Suggest you to buy component cable from ebay or any electronic store.

^^ Thanks guys.. I tried connecting the player to the TV using 3 sets of A/V cables.. I did not notice any appreciable improvement in PQ. Guess I need to use a proper component cable.. Could you guys please suggest a good model? Thanks.

A component cable by itself is no different than any standard RCA cable. So when the shopkeeper told you to use/connect three RCA cables he was not kidding.

Component video is better than composite and can result into high definition video of 720i, 720p or 1080i. But that depends upon the player. You will have to go into the player's menu and change the output and resolution. To do this, go to video setup and change "progressive" to ON.

^^ Thanks Baiju & Just4kix.. I tried connecting the 3 RCA cables as suggested by the shopkeeper. It did not yield a better PQ even after tweaking the DVD player settings. Guess I need to go for a branded, good quality cable as recommended by Baiju..

^^ Thanks Baiju & Just4kix.. I tried connecting the 3 RCA cables as suggested by the shopkeeper. It did not yield a better PQ even after tweaking the DVD player settings. Guess I need to go for a branded, good quality cable as recommended by Baiju..

Nope. That is not going to help. Your DVDP is probably limited to 480p. There is a difference between 480i and 480p but it is not like a night vs. a day. Else even ordinary cables would have brought about significant improvement.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

^^ Thanks man.. That could be it. The DVD player is a 2007 model. There is every chance that the supported max. resolution is 480i/480p.

^^ Thanks man.. That could be it. The DVD player is a 2007 model. There is every chance that the supported max. resolution is 480i/480p.

What is the DVD you are playing. Is it HD? Whith what are you comparing to conclude that your PQ is not good?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back