Query on denon1612 avr

agupta20

Hi all,

I have just bought my first HT (denon1612 and paradigm CT 100)
Got few queries -

1. When i run a Dolby digital ps3 game or dolby digital 5.1 dvd on ps3, i don't get Dolby digital option as a listening option (the options that i get are dolby pro logic- which converts 2 ch to 5.1, stereo, multi-channel stereo , DTS neo 6 - for 6.1 ch, mono movie). In direct mode, I get plain 2 ch sound. For HD channels on setop box, i do get dolby digital as an option.
I don't understand which option to choose as there should be an option for playing 5.1 DD movies/games.

2. I downloaded a DTS bluray movie (.mkv) from internet which i played on laptop on VLC media player connected to avr. Is this a good way of playing a DTS movie. I could not have played that movie directly on avr/ps3 using usb as file was 6.5gb, which can not be saved on FAT32 format usb. And both my avr and ps3 play only FAT16/32 format usb drives. Again I didn't get DTS as an option for listening modes and I didn't find sound quality to be that great.

3. Do these bluray movies downloaded from net don't give sound quality anywhere close to original bluray disc or i am not playing them correctly

Thanks in advance
Ashish

Hi all,

I have just bought my first HT (denon1612 and paradigm CT 100)
Got few queries -

1. When i run a Dolby digital ps3 game or dolby digital 5.1 dvd on ps3, i don't get Dolby digital option as a listening option (the options that i get are dolby pro logic- which converts 2 ch to 5.1, stereo, multi-channel stereo , DTS neo 6 - for 6.1 ch, mono movie). In direct mode, I get plain 2 ch sound. For HD channels on setop box, i do get dolby digital as an option.
I don't understand which option to choose as there should be an option for playing 5.1 DD movies/games.

2. I downloaded a DTS bluray movie (.mkv) from internet which i played on laptop on VLC media player connected to avr. Is this a good way of playing a DTS movie. I could not have played that movie directly on avr/ps3 using usb as file was 6.5gb, which can not be saved on FAT32 format usb. And both my avr and ps3 play only FAT16/32 format usb drives. Again I didn't get DTS as an option for listening modes and I didn't find sound quality to be that great.

3. Do these bluray movies downloaded from net don't give sound quality anywhere close to original bluray disc or i am not playing them correctly

Thanks in advance
Ashish

The above table will give you an idea of which format your are playing and how ps3 is processing that file.

The above table will give you an idea of which format your are playing and how ps3 is processing that file.

Pardon me for being not able to understand as i am a newbie
What i have understood from the above table is that I have to select stereo mode for listening all the format u have mentioned if playing via ps3. M i right? But stereo mode gives only 2 ch output

For your first question (PS3):- How is your PS3 audio connected? HDMI or Optical? If HDMI, then you "should" get Multi-Channel PCM for your games. If Optical, then you have to set it to "Bitstream".

The PS3, by default, sends out audio for all games and movies (saved on HDD or portable media) as Linear PCM. For DVD/Blu-Ray, you can select "Bitstream" in the A/V settings.

For games, and movies that are saved on HDD/USB, here's what to do to get bitsreaming audio--Go to Audio Settings>HDMI>Manual...uncheck all PCM options except the 2 channel ones. Now, you'll get the DD/DTS streams for your games and movie files.

For your first question (PS3):- How is your PS3 audio connected? HDMI or Optical? If HDMI, then you "should" get Multi-Channel PCM for your games. If Optical, then you have to set it to "Bitstream".

The PS3, by default, sends out audio for all games and movies (saved on HDD or portable media) as Linear PCM. For DVD/Blu-Ray, you can select "Bitstream" in the A/V settings.

For games, and movies that are saved on HDD/USB, here's what to do to get bitsreaming audio--Go to Audio Settings>HDMI>Manual...uncheck all PCM options except the 2 channel ones. Now, you'll get the DD/DTS streams for your games and movie files.

Everything is connected to HDMI. Laptop, Tatasky and PS3 to avr and avr to TV

thanks all, I will do the mentioned settings tonight and will update.

Kindly help me with second question also, how do i play bluray movies downloaded from net via laptop to get the best sound output. I am unable to play them via usb because of large file size

This forum rocks, any problem and u get answers overnight
Thanks again to all

In your laptop right click the volume icon at bottom right of taskbar. Select Playback devices. You should see HDMI as a playback device. Set the properties and select speaker setup as 5.1. Also in your media player you should set bitstreaming for dts and dolby. Which is the player you are using?

Can you share the cost of the components and from where did you buy them? I am in the lookout for something similar to what you've selected - 1612 and a compatible budget 5.1 or a 5.0 system.

In your laptop right click the volume icon at bottom right of taskbar. Select Playback devices. You should see HDMI as a playback device. Set the properties and select speaker setup as 5.1. Also in your media player you should set bitstreaming for dts and dolby. Which is the player you are using?

I will try these settings today. I am connecting latop to avr and playing .mkv file on VLC media player

Can you share the cost of the components and from where did you buy them? I am in the lookout for something similar to what you've selected - 1612 and a compatible budget 5.1 or a 5.0 system.

I bought 1612avr for 23k and paradigm speakers for 44k from Fairdeal electronics at crawford (authorized dealer)

I auditioned a lot of speakers (wharfedale, jamo, polk audio, BA, yamaha, canton, energy, PSB, Focal) before finalizing this one

Try using MKVtoVOB software to convert to PS3 friendly option. It will automatically break the huge size into smaller bits.

I have done the settings as mentioned by you. Sound output is definitely better. One new listening mode option which i have got is multi channel in, but still no DTS option
What could be the reason?
The file which i am watching is 6.5 gb bluray movie (.mkv) downloaded from net. Audio format is : English DTS-HDMA core 5.1 1509Kbps

In the settings of laptop (volume icon), I see supported formats as DTS, etc. In VLC, I selected audio device as 5.1

Last edited:
If you see multi channel in your AVR then your player is sending the audio as multichannel pcm instead of bitstreaming. I don't know whether vlc supports hd audio bitstreaming as I don't use it. You can try potplayer and set bitstreaming for hd audio as well as dts and dolby digital under 'Preferences' > Filter Control> Audio Decoder > Built in codec settings.

Edit - In VLC you can try bitstreaming under Tools > Preferences > Audio> Output module> Select DirectX audio output. Use device as hdmi.

Last edited:
If you see multi channel in your AVR then your player is sending the audio as multichannel pcm instead of bitstreaming. I don't know whether vlc supports hd audio bitstreaming as I don't use it. You can try potplayer and set bitstreaming for hd audio as well as dts and dolby digital under 'Preferences' > Filter Control> Audio Decoder > Built in codec settings.

Edit - In VLC you can try bitstreaming under Tools > Preferences > Audio> Output module> Select DirectX audio output. Use device as hdmi.

I tried changing settings in VLC and downloaded pot player, but still no luck. Still getting same results

In VLC settings, there is an option of selecting device, but hdmi is not being displayed

Will windows media player or real player be of any help?

In potplayer first set output device as hdmi under preference > Audio. Then set the bitstreaming option as mentioned above.

Finally managed to get the desired output when playing DTS movie from laptop to avr. As suggested, configured speaker options and VLC media player and now getting full 5.1 sound from AVR

Thanks

hey agupta20, i have small suggestion ... dont use vlc media player or km player for bluray movies ... i use total media theater 5 for bluray movies and its really awesome ... u can find it in some websites .. download it and use this player ... audio is not good in vlc player(so much noise) and video is not good in km player(too bright) .. i dont even like powerDVD ... just try this once ... u wil never use any other players later ...

hey agupta20, i have small suggestion ... dont use vlc media player or km player for bluray movies ... i use total media theater 5 for bluray movies and its really awesome ... u can find it in some websites .. download it and use this player ... audio is not good in vlc player(so much noise) and video is not good in km player(too bright) .. i dont even like powerDVD ... just try this once ... u wil never use any other players later ...

Is it really worth spending 5k for players like total media theater5 or any other player when u have players like VLC/potplayer for free?

What do experts have to say on this.....

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back